Will a diet coke here and there hurt?

Options
I haven't really been drinking anything but water and just kind of wanted to switch it up for lunch and have me a diet coke. I know a lot of people say they aren't good for you.

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Have it and enjoy. I have a diet Dew most days myself.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People say lots of things that aren't so.

No, unless you have a medical condition that you haven't disclosed that requires you to avoid it, a diet soda won't hurt you.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Drink and eat whatever you want within your calorie limit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Simple answer is no, it will not hurt your weight loss goals. Many of us have lost a ton of weight while incorporating diet drinks.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I love a good diet soda as a snack (my preference is for diet lemon-lime sodas). For me it's the perfect craving quencher.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any actual concrete evidence on that whole diet soda thing. At least I've never found any concrete peer reviewed evidence or articles. I love the crisp taste of soda so I like to drink diet whatever. I've been steadily losing weight. Only times I've gained it's because I slacked on logging or ate over my limit. Not the soda.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have lost 60lbs with diet soda in my life. So besides the "unhealthy" part of it being soda it will not slow down your weight loss.
  • jennymstokes
    jennymstokes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank yall! I have missed a diet coke lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I didn't start drinking diet sodas until this year. Never in my life have I ever wanted or craved one. They have REALLY helped me get through some tough times trying to lose :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I've had so much diet soda since I started cutting calories that I'm now sick of it and laying off for a while (one here and there while I'm out and about but not stocking the fridge for the time being). Yep. Drank it till I hate it and I'm inching up on 80 lbs lost. Kind of funny since I had to train myself to like it in the first place. Sure, it's acidic, some people say it makes them bloat or have cravings, but if none of that bothers you, have a soda with lunch.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I wish it were easier to find caffeine free diet soda. Sometimes I want one later in the evening after already having so much caffeine throughout the day.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish it were easier to find caffeine free diet soda. Sometimes I want one later in the evening after already having so much caffeine throughout the day.

I am just thankful I fall into the non responder category to caffeine.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Diet Coke is very good for you and has many nutritional benefits such as aspartame, artificial coloring and carbonation. DRINK DIET COKE. #vegan #paleo #cleaneating #wholefood
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Diet Coke is very good for you and has many nutritional benefits such as aspartame, artificial coloring and carbonation. DRINK DIET COKE. #vegan #paleo #cleaneating #wholefood

Drinking a Coke Zero right now.

#RawLyfe
    #PureVegan
    #Naturalist
  • psuLemon
    Options

Nope, don't detect any sarcasm in there at all.

Also, pretty sure the bold completely contradict each other, unless someone else made up a diet that I don't know about.
  • arditarose
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I am just thankful I fall into the non responder category to caffeine.

lol. Between my coffee, pwo, caffeinated teas and diet sodas I'm surprised I can fall asleep at night.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Nope, don't detect any sarcasm in there at all.

Also, pretty sure the bold completely contradict each other, unless someone else made up a diet that I don't know about.

Hehe. You caught me!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I now try to avoid having too much mostly because I think it's kind of junky, but NO it has never interfered with my weight or appetite or anything at all, except to help keep weight off, not because it's magic but because when I quit it I gained a couple of pounds because I drink coffee everyday instead and only like coffee with milk and sugar!!!

So as far as straight weight effect, I think it's a great tool to feel like you had *something* when you are craving a snack, without actually eating anything.

One time I was in the grocery line with a Diet Coke. This conversation happened. Really.:

Lady-behind-me-in-line asks "Does that stuff work?"

"What stuff?

"The diet coke, does it work?"

I just told her yes, it was keeping me skinny. Couldn't resist.
  • lesamcmahon
    lesamcmahon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started drinking seltzer water to get myself off of the daily diet coke but I still have one every now and then. I was starting to rely on them too often and I didn't want that because that because they aren't really health producing. So, now a diet coke is an occasional splurge or treat.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options

What's wrong with carbonation?