Will a diet coke here and there hurt?

Options

Replies

• kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love diet cranberry ginger ale. It often works when I want something sweet. Hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of calories, sugar, & caffeine. Zero nutrition. Not good for "my" body. No thank you.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Nope. Won't hurt/hinder weight loss at all.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Lots of calories, sugar, & caffeine. Zero nutrition. Not good for "my" body. No thank you.

Lots of sugar and calories in diet coke?!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Lots of sugar and calories in diet coke?!

Hahaha!

Anyway, I think half of the liquids I ingest in a day come in some diet soda form. The rest is from Crystal Light, stevia sweetened coffee, and on Fridays, booze. I am 125lbs at 5'5", down from 270lbs, so do what you want with that info.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Zero (or pretty darned close) calories, zero sugar, & zero caffeine in Diet Caffeine Free Coke.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

*checks label on bottle of Coke Zero I'm currently drinking*

Nope. Still no calories. Still no sugar.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My research suggests to me that diet sodas ARE harmful, but you have to drink a lot of them over a long period of time. I have a built-in aversion to ever doing that. More than about 2 diet sodas in a week and I get a killer headache, which is listed as a side effect of aspartame. Every once in awhile, a Diet Coke goes down so good!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Diet coke is fine.
    I find posting about diet coke and reading the responses raises my blood pressure though, so I would recommend drinking a diet coke over asking about drinking diet coke.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke almost every day with my lunch. I drink even more of it on Fridays since it is my mixer of choice with Captain Morgan spiced rum (Skinny Pirate). In fact, I am ALL HOPPED UP ON DIET COKE RIGHT NOW!!!! :D
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I loved reading all the responses! Thanks for making my day! I drink a Diet Coke everyday. Makes me SO happy!
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hope not! I have one Coke Zero a week. I look forward to it and I don't intend on cutting it out.
  • EnterpriseA
    EnterpriseA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Full of chemicals.....crap
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mpheredia3 wrote: »

Same chemical and byproduct found in natural foods.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been drinking anything but water and just kind of wanted to switch it up for lunch and have me a diet coke. I know a lot of people say they aren't good for you.

there are lots of things we eat, do and use every day that aren't good for us. an occasional diet coke isn't going to be high on the "bad for you" list.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Are you seriously going to make that claim? Have you ever actually read the ingredients? Enjoy one if you want, but no, not all that stuff is found in nature. I know aspartame for one is controversial, but you can't say that it's found in nature.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Are you seriously going to make that claim? Have you ever actually read the ingredients? Enjoy one if you want, but no, not all that stuff is found in nature. I know aspartame for one is controversial, but you can't say that it's found in nature.

Have read this?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Aspartame are amino acids found in other foods.
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, but you'll also say that high fructose syrup is found in nature, even though it's gone through a huge amount of processing and definitely isn't found in nature. And most health experts, even the World Health Organization, recommend that you avoid it. Fructose is found in nature. But HFCS is not. And I promise that aspartame isn't either.
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All you've proven is that everything invented has to come from materials that exist somewhere on earth. By that logic, plastic is found in nature. It's made from petroleum, after all. In fact, by that logic, literally everything is found in nature. But it isn't.