Will a diet coke here and there hurt?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah, but you'll also say that high fructose syrup is found in nature, even though it's gone through a huge amount of processing and definitely isn't found in nature. And most health experts, even the World Health Organization, recommend that you avoid it. Fructose is found in nature. But HFCS is not. And I promise that aspartame isn't either.

This isn't a discussion on HFCS, so I struggle to understand why that is part of the argument. Aspartame is a chemical compounded of phenylalanine and aspartate, which are naturally occuring amino acids found in all proteins.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Diet root beer is better.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper FTW!!!! :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    All you've proven is that everything invented has to come from materials that exist somewhere on earth. By that logic, plastic is found in nature. It's made from petroleum, after all. In fact, by that logic, literally everything is found in nature. But it isn't.

Who cares? Lots of useful, pleasurable, and non-harmful things aren't found in nature. And lots of unuseful, non-pleasurable, and harmful things are found in nature.

This entire route of conversation is a dead end. What's the point?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you'll also say that high fructose syrup is found in nature, even though it's gone through a huge amount of processing and definitely isn't found in nature. And most health experts, even the World Health Organization, recommend that you avoid it. Fructose is found in nature. But HFCS is not. And I promise that aspartame isn't either.

HFCS isn't even one thing. It is various levels of fructose to sucrose in solution, anytime the fructose percentage is 55% or greater, they call it high. Honey is actually fairly analogous in composition to the higher fructose versions, if I recall correctly. Unnatural bees.
    What is unnatural is the process to make it, but that doesn't matter if it is properly filtered back out. It is unnatural because people can do things faster, better, cheaper than nature.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All you've proven is that everything invented has to come from materials that exist somewhere on earth. By that logic, plastic is found in nature. It's made from petroleum, after all. In fact, by that logic, literally everything is found in nature. But it isn't.

Some plastic is made from petroleum - most actually aren't. And I'm not sure about you, but I don't eat or drink plastic or petroleum. So, I'm not sure what your point is, other than you don't know what you're talking about - so you're just rambling about things that are essentially nonsense.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Diet Coke is very good for you and has many nutritional benefits such as aspartame, artificial coloring and carbonation. DRINK DIET COKE. #vegan #paleo #cleaneating #wholefood

What's wrong with carbonation?

Nothing. That's what makes it a nutritional benefit. ;)
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Did You Know: Caramel coloring is a superfood. #themoreyouknow
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Diet coke is fine.
    I find posting about diet coke and reading the responses raises my blood pressure though, so I would recommend drinking a diet coke over asking about drinking diet coke.

^5
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    No.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    .... At a medium pace ....
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »

XS5LK.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    odusgolp wrote: »

XS5LK.gif

1466440701883103152.gif
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    According to the American Cancer Society, aspartame is safe:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

And since lots of woo uses Authority Nutrition as a "source" , they don't even think it should be avoided:

https://authoritynutrition.com/aspartame-good-or-bad/

• KristenNagle1
    KristenNagle1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Diet root beer is better.

Diet Root Beer is the BEST

• m303psss
    m303psss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This forum can be funny.....some worry that a diet coke (a day) is not good for our bodies yet most of us will say....sit in traffic sucking in exhaust fumes and not think twice about it (just an example). Love the post above (from senecarr) right on !!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Depends how hard they throw it at you.

haha, and where it hits you.

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    you can have one in a box
    you can have one with a fox
    you can have one in a house
    you can have one with a mouse
    you can have one here and there
    you can have one ANYWHERE!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You can have it with green eggs and ham!

You can have it, Sam I Am!

...sorry, Green Eggs and Ham was one of my favourites when I was a kid.

Am drinking a diet coke right now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It will hurt electronics, but it is safe to drink for all except for the few who have medical issues.

Personally, I prefer Diet Pepsi. It tastes much better, but I acknowledge that some here will say that Diet Pepsi is a kind of diet Coke because of regional dielects (i.e. Diet Pepsi is a diet Coke, diet soda, diet soda pop, diet pop, etc.)