Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump

also, can anyone commiserate about inches gained during pms? i'm used to jumping up on the scale, but since i just started monthly measurements 3 months ago, this is the first time i've had to measure right before tom. most areas are up by about .5 inches. intellectually i know that it must be part of the water retention but emotionally the pms is winning.

I can look 5 months pregnant during PMS or the first couple days of my period. I'm not even considering measuring myself at that time, lol!

When I had uterus ultrasounds to check my ovarian cysts (it was 10 days before my period or something each time), they did mention fluid retention. So there you have it. For me it starts at ovulation and goes away on day 3 of TOM or something (and I pee so much. OMG).
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My cycle used to be very clear and predictable to me until...I got the Mirena! Now I'm clueless :|
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    My cycle used to be very clear and predictable to me until...I got the Mirena! Now I'm clueless :|

That's terrible! Always a surprise I guess? Have you tried counting your days to see if there may possibly be a pattern or does it always just bounce around?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    My Dr keeps suggesting the Mirena to me. I'm not convinced ... and I'm especially not convinced given how active I am.
  • bfanny
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »

That's terrible! Always a surprise I guess? Have you tried counting your days to see if there may possibly be a pattern or does it always just bounce around?

The bloating and cravings (weight gain) help a little to know where am at but there may be a tiny period or nothing at all so yeah it's all over the place at least for me...

• bfanny
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My Dr keeps suggesting the Mirena to me. I'm not convinced ... and I'm especially not convinced given how active I am.

No more heavy days (for me) so it doesn't affect me and being active... The not knowing is "weird"

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Bumpedy bumpy

and that's new... getting menstruation like cramps around ovulation. :neutral: I kept on running to the restroom today thinking it was day one of my menstruation but it's no where near...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Bumpedy bumpy

and that's new... getting menstruation like cramps around ovulation. :neutral: I kept on running to the restroom today thinking it was day one of my menstruation but it's no where near...

Mittelschmerz! I get it rarely now but back in my younger years I had it every month. It can be extremely painful.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Bumpedy bumpy

Mittelschmerz! I get it rarely now but back in my younger years I had it every month. It can be extremely painful.

First time I got that. I hope it doesn't become a habit as it's frigging painful. My periods are bad enough. I don't think I could deal with that kind of pain twice a month.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    bumpity bump

also, can anyone commiserate about inches gained during pms? i'm used to jumping up on the scale, but since i just started monthly measurements 3 months ago, this is the first time i've had to measure right before tom. most areas are up by about .5 inches. intellectually i know that it must be part of the water retention but emotionally the pms is winning.
    This is me right now . PMS week is here and abs measurements are all up by .5 to 1 inch. Weight is up by nearly 6 lbs. Pms sucks
    Francl27 wrote: »
    bumpity bump

I can look 5 months pregnant during PMS or the first couple days of my period. I'm not even considering measuring myself at that time, lol!

When I had uterus ultrasounds to check my ovarian cysts (it was 10 days before my period or something each time), they did mention fluid retention. So there you have it. For me it starts at ovulation and goes away on day 3 of TOM or something (and I pee so much. OMG).

thanks! sometimes you know things but you want to know that other people know, you know? ;)
    Bumpedy bumpy

i started these recently too! and just to make things more delightful i actually had full tom symptoms on the day i was meant to start my period. cramps, dropped the bloat, lower back pain, hunger, they were all there, but not the actual period. i felt ridiculous on the couch with the heating pad and nothing to *show* for it until a day later, when it definitely played catch up.
    giphy.gif

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Ugh, TOM is coming soon and I just feel so heavy and bloated.

I am dreading this week's weigh in even though I know the number will reflect water weight it's a tad discouraging.

Meanwhile, next week's weigh in, once my period is over, will probably have me down 4-5 lbs so I guess at least there's that to look forward to.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Here's a question ...

My Dr keeps suggesting the Mirena to me but I have never been thrilled with the idea of an IUD. It is right up there with the idea of getting contacts. Certain things are just ... <<shudder>>

Nevertheless the suggestion of a Mirena is going to come up again soon, so here's my question ... if you exercise a lot, are they OK? Or do they dislodge or cause problems? I have no idea because I've never even entertained the idea of using one before.

Are there downsides for someone who exercises a lot?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Here's a question ...

My Dr keeps suggesting the Mirena to me but I have never been thrilled with the idea of an IUD. It is right up there with the idea of getting contacts. Certain things are just ... <<shudder>>

Nevertheless the suggestion of a Mirena is going to come up again soon, so here's my question ... if you exercise a lot, are they OK? Or do they dislodge or cause problems? I have no idea because I've never even entertained the idea of using one before.

I have a Paragard, not Mirena. Paragard is slightly larger (32 mm x 36 mm vs 32 mm x 32 mm.) I have never had any problem with shifting or discomfort and I am a fairly avid exerciser. I've had it since 2010 so it's been long enough that I feel like if I was going to have problems I would by now.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Here's a question ...

I've got the Mirena, it was only fitted a couple of months ago though so I speak from limited experience.

The actual fitting was a bit bleugh, but only because I don't like others doing procedures "down there". I'm the same with cervical screening tests but luckily the placement coincided with the smear, so that was one less trauma to deal with. I didn't find it uncomfortable at all, much to the surprise of the person doing the procedure. I found cleaning off the lubricant gel more of a nightmare than the procedure itself.

The first few days, I was terrified that it was going to dislodge and fall out and I was checking for the threads all the time. There was also quite a bit of cramping for the first 24 hours after placement but it settled down after that.

The first six weeks, I had a lot of spotting, along with one period. The last three weeks I have been free of any spotting and I forget that the Mirena is even there.

I exercise a lot (because I really enjoy it) - I cycle 30 miles a day (which can take up to three hours, depending on how energetic I'm feeling) and I walk anything from six to ten miles over the course of a day as well. The Mirena has not caused any issues at all with what I do or when I do it.

So far, I'm really happy with it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've listened to Lyle speak on this on two different podcasts. Can't wait for the book. I've always known about water retention during ovulation and TOM but hearing him break it down and also relate it to training was great.

I don't mean to post TMI but I wanted to give a little example of just how much craziness your cycle can cause on the scale. During my last ovulation I am 99% sure I had a large cyst that burst and it was late. I was just trying to get into a deficit. I was bloated, in pain, and not losing. Now, just because I ovulated late doesn't mean I got my period late, so only a few days later I got my period. For some reason I bled for 10 days. Now here I am thinking this is a good week to get an accurate weigh in, period is over, right? But the scale was up 4 lbs this morning. Then I remembered that I bled for 10 days, so here we are back at ovulation and retaining water again. Can you imagine how frustrating this would be for someone who is new to calorie counting?! It's still frustrating for me!

And also how frustrating it is for those women who have 10 day periods all the time :(

Are you ok? A cyst sounds terrible!

Aw I'm all good. Cysts are fairly common. Thanks for asking!

Great article! Totally explains why my appetite was so much higher the week before TOM. And @arditarose, I get cycts frequently too. That could also explain your 10day bleed. Started early with cyst bleed, then period bleed. I'm done having kids, so I have seriously thought about just getting rid of the whole thing. Keeping my ovaries, but getting rid of the rest. I don't need it and it's such a PIA.

I don't know if I'm typical or not in response, but about 7 years ago I had an endometrial ablation and a tubal ligation. I was having really, really painful and heavy periods. I did research and met with a gynecological surgeon. She suggested it. Did more research, had it done--covered by insurance. Kept my ovaries, but they permanently destroyed the lining of the uterus and then tied my tubes as a pregnancy would have been dangerous. The ablation is NOT reversible.

No more periods and I've not noticed any monthly fluctuations. The lack of anything resembling a cycle is where I'm not sure I'm normal. I used to have very pronounced phases. DEFINITELY not a complaint. Was a great choice for me. Recovery period was fine.

What hurt worse was the testing before that. The doc should do biopsies for endometrial and uterine cancer first as the ablation would mask symptoms until the cancer was advanced. THAT was not pleasant, but worth it.

If you're done with kids, it might be an option for you.
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do any ladies here experience some really easy periods and then some really serious ones? Most of the time I get the normal pms of being bloated and I get really hungry but other than that I'm pretty okay but some months, (my last period) I was severely bloated, had a CRAZY spike in my appetite and all I wanted was sugar and my mood was awful. Like I knew I was being irrational about things but I could not get out of the bad mood. I also had absolutly no energy what so ever and found it difficult just to go for a walk. My flow was also extremely heavy this month. And I had terrible cramps. Its just strange becuase it's not like this every month and always kind of takes me off guard. I also get really down about things. It really took a toll on me this last month and now that my period is over I feel way better and back to normal but I was just wondering if there are any medications I can take or certain things to do to help when it's that bad. Oh yeah I'm also eating in matinence right now so it's not from under eating I don't think
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    Do any ladies here experience some really easy periods and then some really serious ones? Most of the time I get the normal pms of being bloated and I get really hungry but other than that I'm pretty okay but some months, (my last period) I was severely bloated, had a CRAZY spike in my appetite and all I wanted was sugar and my mood was awful. Like I knew I was being irrational about things but I could not get out of the bad mood. I also had absolutly no energy what so ever and found it difficult just to go for a walk. My flow was also extremely heavy this month. And I had terrible cramps. Its just strange becuase it's not like this every month and always kind of takes me off guard. I also get really down about things. It really took a toll on me this last month and now that my period is over I feel way better and back to normal but I was just wondering if there are any medications I can take or certain things to do to help when it's that bad. Oh yeah I'm also eating in matinence right now so it's not from under eating I don't think

Yea, I do. My cycle seems to be sensitive to everything: amount of sugar or alcohol, exercise, weather, stress, illness. One ovary seems to hurt less than the other as well, so the months rotate. Some of this evened out when I started on the Pill. I think it's normal, but it does get annoying to deal with high hunger pangs and low tolerance.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Machka9
    Options
    My wonky cycle and a few other odd female-related symptoms prompted my Dr to send me to a gynaecologist. Saw him yesterday ... and a hour later he had done a whole set of biopsies. Ouch.

And then I went to the dentist for the last stage of my most recent root canal. Quite the day! :lol:

But interestingly, I suddenly packed on 1.5 kg.

I had been trending downward lately, but ate about 300 cal over my limit yesterday (comfort food). I know perfectly well that 300 cal is too low to account for the sudden jump, so I'm presuming it is water retention ... my body going into protection and recovery mode. Should be OK again in a couple days. :)