Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Options

Replies

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @Madwife2009 Aw, thank you! That's sweet of you. <3
    My GP tried to place it 3x but he couldn't do it. It was his first time he failed, he told me. A female GP came and did it harshly, but it was needed.
    I'm using blood thining meds, so the bleeding was soooo much. But now it's better. The pain is better too, but still sudden intense cramps. I feel like a cry baby now, because some women have worse periods than this lol.

After six weeks, the GP is going to check everything. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    @Madwife2009 Aw, thank you! That's sweet of you. <3
    My GP tried to place it 3x but he couldn't do it. It was his first time he failed, he told me. A female GP came and did it harshly, but it was needed.
    I'm using blood thining meds, so the bleeding was soooo much. But now it's better. The pain is better too, but still sudden intense cramps. I feel like a cry baby now, because some women have worse periods than this lol.

After six weeks, the GP is going to check everything. :smile:

I hope it will be all right for you.

But now I'm really not sure I want to go that route!! :anguished:

However, I have to wait for the results of my biopsies to come back before I make a decision, and the only reason it has been suggested is to reduce and regulate my periods.

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 Oh, I didn't want to scare you! I'm only 20 years old and never had kids. So I'm so much more sensitive to it. You could ask your GP for some pain meds. They should help. I didn't have any special ones. My friend told me she had special pain meds and they helped a lot. Almost no pain.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Idle_Moon wrote: »
    @Machka9 Oh, I didn't want to scare you! I'm only 20 years old and never had kids. So I'm so much more sensitive to it. You could ask your GP for some pain meds. They should help. I didn't have any special ones. My friend told me she had special pain meds and they helped a lot. Almost no pain.

I'm a few months away from 50 ... and I've never had kids either. :)

My gyn is suggesting the Merina to regulate perimenopause symptoms, but I'm thinking I might just wait it out. Only a couple years left ... maybe. Less I hope.

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

My gyn is suggesting the Merina to regulate perimenopause symptoms, but I'm thinking I might just wait it out. Only a couple years left ... maybe. Less I hope.

I think that there are several different factors here.

Firstly, Idle_Moon is young and probably hasn't had many internal examinations or cervical smears (I'm basing this assumption on how things are done in the UK; woman don't usually have cervical screening here until they are 25).

Secondly, each person's tolerance to such a procedure varies hugely, like anything really. For example, I've gone through labour/birth four times with no pain relief but I've worked with other labouring women who've screamed for all the pain relief they can get at the first twinge of labour. And that's okay, because we are all individuals and experience and feel things differently.

Thirdly, the recommendation before having a Mirena fitted is that you take some analgesia, just in case.

Fourthly, the doctor involved with Idle_Moon's procedure was basically clueless and should not have been doing it at all in my opinion. If you don't know how to do something, then you refer on (this is what I was taught during my midwifery training). Otherwise someone gets hurt in some way. That's why I went to the people I thought were the more experienced, at the sexual health clinic. I did ask my GP about it and after a consultation with her, I decided to go elsewhere.

I was fine with it all physically but I'm a tough old thing. However, I hate clinicians touching me down there so for me it's more psychological than anything but I have to steel myself up to do these things.

Don't base your decision about having or not having a Mirena fitted based on a couple of people's experiences. Do some reasearch, ask around and then decide what is best for you, because you are the one that matters :)

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Don't base your decision about having or not having a Mirena fitted based on a couple of people's experiences. Do some reasearch, ask around and then decide what is best for you, because you are the one that matters :)

Well, the thing is ... I really don't want to get one. I've never like the idea of an IUD ... much like how I've never liked the idea of getting contact lenses. But my doctor and both gynaecologists I've seen keep pushing me to get one. I'm probably looking for excuses not to get it.

BTW - I didn't know cervical screening was a thing until just a couple years ago. Almost 50, and had my first cervical screen on Monday ... complete with biopsy.

• ScratchyAnderson
    ScratchyAnderson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A question from a brand new newbie: I start retaining water in my boobs just after ovulation each month, and it lasts until the day I start my period. Apart from the added effects of water on the scale, IT HURTS! Taking off my bra at night is seriously not fun. I've heard that asparagus and lemon are natural diuretics. Any other suggestions for reducing this symptom? I'm 42, and suffer from chronic migraines (as in 4+/week), so the pill, while helpful, isn't really great for me in terms of blood pressure/clot risk. Thanks!
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've noticed a few of you see male doctors for gyno related things. Personally, i just couldn't let a male (doctor) get anywhere near my hooha. I've had female doctors for women related things from day 1. Its embarrassing enough stirupping up in front of a woman, let alone a man.. I know they're doctors and they see it everyday, but i just can not do it! same with mammograms.

For some reason it doesn't really bother me.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my mother was a nurse who was always very open when it came to talking about medical stuff. My family (mother, father, brother, and me) would sit around the dinner table discussing the cases she had seen in graphic detail (with no identifying names, etc. of course)

And I've actually had worse/weirder experiences with 2 different female doctors.

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Re: boob pains. Besides water I've heard/read,etc that when you come across toxic chemicals and such the tell tell signs will many times show up in breath as pain (lots of lymph nodes being the reason perhaps). Sure enough I experience this sometimes. And it makes the me steal cycle worse. So the breasts act like the canary in the mines.
  • TRIFITTNESS36
    TRIFITTNESS36 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not a clue
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a few of you see male doctors for gyno related things. Personally, i just couldn't let a male (doctor) get anywhere near my hooha. I've had female doctors for women related things from day 1. Its embarrassing enough stirupping up in front of a woman, let alone a man.. I know they're doctors and they see it everyday, but i just can not do it! same with mammograms.

Well I did fertility treatments and the only doctor within a reasonable driving distance was a man, so I got used to it.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote:

Well, the thing is ... I really don't want to get one. I've never like the idea of an IUD ... much like how I've never liked the idea of getting contact lenses. But my doctor and both gynaecologists I've seen keep pushing me to get one. I'm probably looking for excuses not to get it.

BTW - I didn't know cervical screening was a thing until just a couple years ago. Almost 50, and had my first cervical screen on Monday ... complete with biopsy.

Well, I can relate to that - I could never stomach the idea of contact lenses either, even though I have to put drops in my eyes every night for the rest of my life. I could probably deal with contact lenses now but the cost puts me off.

I was never going to have an IUD either (I'd worked in the sexual health clinic and seen a few procedures that filled me with horror, as well as those that were fine) until I developed a medical problem that meant whilst taking the treatment for it, I was not to get pregnant, ever, as it's teratogenic (harms the foetus). Faced with a choice like that, the Mirena was the most reliable method and way less invasive than sterilisation.

Don't be bullied by the medical profession, take your time and make the decision best for you.

• janettemillard868
    janettemillard868 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote:

Well, I can relate to that - I could never stomach the idea of contact lenses either, even though I have to put drops in my eyes every night for the rest of my life. I could probably deal with contact lenses now but the cost puts me off.

I was never going to have an IUD either (I'd worked in the sexual health clinic and seen a few procedures that filled me with horror, as well as those that were fine) until I developed a medical problem that meant whilst taking the treatment for it, I was not to get pregnant, ever, as it's teratogenic (harms the foetus). Faced with a choice like that, the Mirena was the most reliable method and way less invasive than sterilisation.

Don't be bullied by the medical profession, take your time and make the decision best for you.

That last line is probably one of the best pieces of advice for ANY medical problems!
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've already had to put my foot down about Nexium. Drs keep wanting to put me back on that drug. So I will say "no" until I'm comfortable with the direction we're going.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am SO hungry. I'm ovaluating and I want to eat the world.

I never paid much attention before, but the last couple of days I have been so hungry and I should be near or at the ovaluation stage.

I'm always hungry during my period but this is the first time I've paid attention and noticed increased hunger around this time too.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Needs a bump. This is a great thread with really useful information.