• mobogogo
    mobogogo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    UK/Ireland- playsuit= US romper
    UK/Ireland dungarees= US overalls.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I live in an Appalachian area of Ohio, just moved here a few years ago and was quite surprised to hear boot used for trunk quite frequently in this area. There are other holdovers of British sayings here too and of course I can't think of any at the moment. I love seeing these!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Fanny and lady garden are indeed one and the same thing.

Huh, not to me. But then I'm an Aussie, and while we use a lot of the same words as the UK, we also have lots of our own variations.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Now I really want to know what your version refers to, but I'm afraid to ask (or to Google it!)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Yep, NO, that is a hot dog wrapped in that weird Pillsbury pastry that comes in a can! This is what British pigs in blankets look like.

Chipolatas - little pork sausages that are NOT hotdogs. :smile: More like small breakfast sausages.

Also, gold top milk is awesome! Hubby and I would fight over who got to have the cream on their cereal. My dad used to work at the local agricultural show every year, and would sometimes bring home milk that had come directly from the cow - I'm not sure if they could get away with giving out unpasteurised milk these days, but that was delicious!

You can buy raw milk in some areas of the USA. In Chicago there are a few farms with coops you can buy from or drive to (not within the city, but within an hour from the city) for raw milk and fresh eggs...unfortunately its $18 a gallon, when a gallon of whole milk from aldi is around $2.25!
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just remembered a story about my daughter, we lived in New Jersey for 3 year (2001-2004) we're from the UK, she was in kinder garden and as she got off the bus she picked something up and said loudly "look mammy I've found a rubber" Poor driver, her face was a picture. Also got asked one parents evening what an oblong was.

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sussex pond pudding whole lemon and brown sugar and butter baked in a duet crust that exploded to provide the sauce

Any type of suet pudding
    Or steak and kidney pudding
    My husbands a cockney - pie and mash with liquor is his favourite
    Liquor = green parsley gravy with not much flavour but lush with loads of chilli malt vinegar
    Jellied eels
    And we can live on toast , is it not a food group on its own ?
    Bacon butties and brown sauce mmm
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    UK = lump of lard with extra orders of stupidity
    US = Donald Trump
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well this thread has been amazingly informative! I'll never be able to ask for a growler refill again with a straight face. :smiley:
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Oh I just googled and my childhood toad in a hole is not the same as the UK toad in a hole.

What toad was in your hole then? :D

Ours is a piece of bread with a hole cut out (shot glass size) fried with an egg in the hole.

We call that a bird's nest.
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    inb4 someone asks about fanny packs.
    giphy.gif

Yes! Americans talking about their fannies always make me giggle :D