Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How much will one pay/risk for weight loss?

ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member
Would you:

Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
Juggle knives?

I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

Discuss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
«134

Replies

  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would you:

    Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
    Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
    Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
    Juggle knives?

    I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

    Discuss.

    The first one, sure. I do just need to be on the second floor of something while the car is on the street.
    For the second one, is 10 feet that far a drop? That's 1 story.
    And sure for juggle knives - butter knives wouldn't be that bad.
  • auddiiauddii Posts: 15,410Member Member Posts: 15,410Member Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would you:

    Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
    Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
    Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
    Juggle knives?

    I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

    Discuss.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    A lot of people don't see it as risky. They're willing to do all sorts of stuff, short term especially.

    I've seen several people fall over because they try IF (and it obviously isn't the right choice for them), or too severe of a calorie deficit. And they're just like oh, maybe too much (or worse, they think it's not that bad and keep going. But what if they had been standing on curb and fell into oncoming traffic? At the top of a set of stairs? Driving?
  • ctraughctraugh Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    Not me, I never believed those crazy pills, or fad diets. Myfitnesspal has been the easiest, cheapest, and best way for me to loose weight. 30lbs down, 140+ to go. The formula is simple, applying it is the challenge, sometimes.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    People understand the risks behind your examples. They don't understand the risks behind rapid weight loss. The diet industry is largely at fault there, but lack of education on basic health science adds to the problem.
    Which is sad because health should be a priority to teach, especially now with so many people being overweight/obese even amongst children.
    I think I only had 1 overweight teacher growing up. The rest seemed "normal" even though I had no idea if they dieted or exercised.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • middleton110middleton110 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    I think part of the problem, also, is that your list contains obvious risks. I can see the danger in an oncoming car. I can see the sharpness of the knives. I can't intuitively sense the danger in fad diet pills or rapid weight loss.

    Before doing the research a couple of years back, I thought it was perfectly normal and possible to lose 5-10lbs in a week, because of advertising. So, naturally, when I only lost a pound I considered myself a failure and gave up.
    edited March 2016
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member
    auddii wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would you:

    Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
    Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
    Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
    Juggle knives?

    I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

    Discuss.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    A lot of people don't see it as risky. They're willing to do all sorts of stuff, short term especially.

    I've seen several people fall over because they try IF (and it obviously isn't the right choice for them), or too severe of a calorie deficit. And they're just like oh, maybe too much (or worse, they think it's not that bad and keep going. But what if they had been standing on curb and fell into oncoming traffic? At the top of a set of stairs? Driving?
    Great point. Especially with the diet industry, the advertising of supplementation and shakes, etc. for some reason doesn't get many people to bat an eye.
    If they were told to take a medication, they'd want to hear the side effects and possible issues that may occur with taking it.
    When it comes to supplements/diet aids, it's not what the risks are but "how much does it cost?"

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png


  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Posts: 4,859Member Member Posts: 4,859Member Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    People understand the risks behind your examples. They don't understand the risks behind rapid weight loss. The diet industry is largely at fault there, but lack of education on basic health science adds to the problem.
    Which is sad because health should be a priority to teach, especially now with so many people being overweight/obese even amongst children.
    I think I only had 1 overweight teacher growing up. The rest seemed "normal" even though I had no idea if they dieted or exercised.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    I just can't buy into the lack of education as a reason for overweight or obesity. Ask a 3rd grader why someone is fat and they will say that person eats too much.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,520Member, Greeter Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would you:

    Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
    Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
    Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
    Juggle knives?

    I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

    Discuss.

    The first one, sure. I do just need to be on the second floor of something while the car is on the street.
    For the second one, is 10 feet that far a drop? That's 1 story.
    And sure for juggle knives - butter knives wouldn't be that bad.
    Instead for you, I'll vote for throwing knives at you.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • xbowhunterxbowhunter Posts: 382Member Member Posts: 382Member Member
    We now live in a society of instant gratification.
    Fast food.
    Quick heat processed food.
    Instant loans.
    Cell phones with data.

    I could go on.

    So many people want rapid weight loss like yesterday but don't want to put in the hard work to safely & gradually lose the weight. Most think the challenge is the weight loss. The real challenge is once you get there maintaining is the real life-time challenge & this is where most fail including myself.
  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    I think part of the problem, also, is that your list contains obvious risks. I can see the danger in an oncoming car. I can see the sharpness of the knives. I can't intuitively sense the danger in fad diet pills or rapid weight loss.

    Before doing the research a couple of years back, I thought it was perfectly normal and possible to lose 5-10lbs in a week, because of advertising. So, naturally, when I only lost a pound I considered myself a failure and gave up.

    This. There is plenty of psychology of perceived risk. Cows kill far more people per year than sharks, almost no one thinks of cows as scary animals.

    A coal fired power plant emits more radiation than a nuclear power plant, but most people would be more afraid of living next to a nuclear power plant.
  • middleton110middleton110 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    People understand the risks behind your examples. They don't understand the risks behind rapid weight loss. The diet industry is largely at fault there, but lack of education on basic health science adds to the problem.
    Which is sad because health should be a priority to teach, especially now with so many people being overweight/obese even amongst children.
    I think I only had 1 overweight teacher growing up. The rest seemed "normal" even though I had no idea if they dieted or exercised.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    I just can't buy into the lack of education as a reason for overweight or obesity. Ask a 3rd grader why someone is fat and they will say that person eats too much.

    True. They do know that much. But do they know which foods are better or worse for you, in any sense? Kids love sweets.

    My family was mildly obese growing up. We ate pre-packaged Betty Crocker food and counted that as home cooking. I thought canned peas and carrots counted as my vegetables for the day. I think when we talk about educating kids on health and fitness, it's not just the principle of "don't eat too much" -- but also teaching them to be active, go outside, find a sport/exercise you're into. As they get older, deepen the education into principles. Kids may or may not listen, but at least they can't claim ignorance.
  • vixtrisvixtris Posts: 687Member Member Posts: 687Member Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    We now live in a society of instant gratification.
    Fast food.
    Quick heat processed food.
    Instant loans.
    Cell phones with data.

    I could go on.

    So many people want rapid weight loss like yesterday but don't want to put in the hard work to safely & gradually lose the weight. Most think the challenge is the weight loss. The real challenge is once you get there maintaining is the real life-time challenge & this is where most fail including myself.

    Well said. I'm maintaining now, and I have to keep up with the same healthy habits I formed during my weight loss, and new ones to keep me challenged and motivated.
  • kimny72kimny72 Posts: 14,035Member Member Posts: 14,035Member Member
    Yeah, unfortunately I think this is an issue with education and ignorance. By the time people are in their teens, they are seeing articles with tips & secrets to lose weight fast, workouts advertise a "quick-start" add-on that will help you lose 10 lbs & a dress size in a week, the Biggest Loser (nuff said), celebrities who lose baby weight in 6 weeks so they can film a video, etc. I think they get the impression that the only thing keeping them from losing weight fast is their lack of will-power and a team of people to force them to do what needs to be done.

    I wish MFP gave more guidance when you are setting up your account on what a healthy goal is and WHY losing faster could be unhealthy.
  • usmcmpusmcmp Posts: 21,339Member, Premium Member Posts: 21,339Member, Premium Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    People understand the risks behind your examples. They don't understand the risks behind rapid weight loss. The diet industry is largely at fault there, but lack of education on basic health science adds to the problem.
    Which is sad because health should be a priority to teach, especially now with so many people being overweight/obese even amongst children.
    I think I only had 1 overweight teacher growing up. The rest seemed "normal" even though I had no idea if they dieted or exercised.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    I just can't buy into the lack of education as a reason for overweight or obesity. Ask a 3rd grader why someone is fat and they will say that person eats too much.

    When I suggested lack of education, it wasn't as a reason for obesity, it was as a reason for thinking rapid weight loss is without risk and a typical result of deciding to diet.
  • senecarrsenecarr Posts: 5,377Member Member Posts: 5,377Member Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Would you:

    Stand still while a car approached you at 25 miles an hour with no intention of stopping?
    Jump off a 10ft platform and hit the ground?
    Let your toddler play unattended on a playground?
    Juggle knives?

    I assuming most would say "NO" to the above. But for some reason you say "Hey I can show you how to lose 5lbs in a week without dieting and exercise!" all bets go out the window. People are willing to shell out and take risks they normally wouldn't to lose 10lbs.

    Discuss.

    The first one, sure. I do just need to be on the second floor of something while the car is on the street.
    For the second one, is 10 feet that far a drop? That's 1 story.
    And sure for juggle knives - butter knives wouldn't be that bad.
    Instead for you, I'll vote for throwing knives at you.

    Make it plastic ware ones. It would be fitting for those to both be involved in losing and gaining weight.
  • singingfluteladysingingflutelady Posts: 8,629Member Member Posts: 8,629Member Member
    This really bothers me. As a mostly recovered anorexic the "pro Ana", " thinspo", "anorexic wannabes" really drive me crazy. Hospitalizations and refeeding and treatment and long lasting health issues from eating disorders are not fun and it is scary that some people glamourize it and "chose" (the pro anas not the actual anorexics) to live that lifestyle. I have had some ed friends who died and one who's heart stopped for 5 minutes at age 23 (but lived). Anorexia is not a choice it's a disease and it is not fun or cool.
  • CollieFitCollieFit Posts: 1,683Member Member Posts: 1,683Member Member
    I think a lot of people are deluded when it comes to things like buying weight loss pills online etc. I genuinely think that many assume they will have undergone some formal rigorous testing process, much like medication does, before people are allowed to advertise their wares, so they think they're not taking that much of a risk.
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    I'd be willing to buy a book. That's it.
  • CollieFitCollieFit Posts: 1,683Member Member Posts: 1,683Member Member
    I had a housemate at University many years ago, who was rushed into A&E thinking he was having a heart attack (heart racing, struggling breathe properly etc). He was using Thermobol. He thought it was okay to use because it was advertised on what he considered a reputable UK weight lifting website.
Sign In or Register to comment.