Eating and only lifting, whats the outcome?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm limited. Can't make it to gym at this time. But I use dumbells at home. And bands and my own body weight and jump rope.
    I have a full body work out I do to work all my muscels ,glutes, triceps, traps, biceps, obliques, ect. All the majors. I have a workout for each muscel/muscel group. I do 3sets with 20 reps a piece. And each week I bump reps up by 5 more. And as I get Stronger ill up my dumbell weight and get more resistant bands. I plaink as well to help the abs. And some yoga. I have 10 exersizes I do. Includes stretching and gettig after my ham string.

Look into Convict Conditioning..if you google it you can find sites that you can download it for free. I am not sure if a copyright violation so I am not linking here.

It is a bodyweight based workout so you do not need access to a gym.
  • IamGreenski
    Options
    My opinion: You do not want to start building muscle until you have your bodyfat at a manageable level because when you look in the mirror it will give you the appearance that you are getting bigger.

Calories consumed > Calories expended = Weight Gain
    Calories consumed < Calories expended = Weight Loss

The fundamental principle to weight loss is to expend more than you consume – regardless of your exercise level you will start to lose weight. My suggestion would be too focus on cutting your calories so that you are losing fat at a healthy rate without worrying TOO much about exercise. Of course the best way to lose weight is to incorporate cardio into a healthy diet but don’t let the idea that you NEED to exercise discourage you. In the interest of general health though, I would at the very least go for a 15 minute walk everyday.

Weightlifting with High Reps and Intensity is designed to build muscle and to build muscle you have to eat a caloric surplus. Remember that “cardio” doesn’t have to include running or ellipticals and that you will experience the weight loss benefits by simply keeping an elevated heart rate, no matter the exercise your doing. If you want to lift weights do so with high reps and low weight and make sure to rest no more than a minute between sets, this way your weightlifting acts as your cardio.

Also to remember to drink lots of water ☺

Good luck!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My opinion: You do not want to start building muscle until you have your bodyfat at a manageable level because when you look in the mirror it will give you the appearance that you are getting bigger.

The fundamental principle to weight loss is to expend more than you consume – regardless of your exercise level you will start to lose weight. My suggestion would be too focus on cutting your calories so that you are losing fat at a healthy rate without worrying TOO much about exercise. Of course the best way to lose weight is to incorporate cardio into a healthy diet but don’t let the idea that you NEED to exercise discourage you. In the interest of general health though, I would at the very least go for a 15 minute walk everyday.

Weightlifting with High Reps and Intensity is designed to build muscle and to build muscle you have to eat a caloric surplus. Remember that “cardio” doesn’t have to include running or ellipticals and that you will experience the weight loss benefits by simply keeping an elevated heart rate, no matter the exercise your doing. If you want to lift weights do so with high reps and low weight and make sure to rest no more than a minute between sets, this way your weightlifting acts as your cardio.

Good luck!!
    Weight lifting also helps preserve lean body mass while in a caloric deficit and it's much easier to retain what lean body mass you have now than it is to lose a bunch of it and try to build it back later. A person eating at a caloric deficit is not going to build muscle (aside from slight "newbie gains", so they will not have the worry of appearing bigger - the main difference they will see is increased definition of their existing musculature as they lose the subcutaneous fat covering it.
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    * in for the great testimony * I am in similar place and doing same.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Um. Wut?
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A lot of good responses from people thus far. I am doing the weight training only and calorie conscious approach for the first time ever. I've lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks which is exactly the pace I want to go at in order to preserve strength. Why did I choose this approach? I hate doing cardio. It is boring and wears your body down without providing a continued metabolic advantage. On the flip side, I love lifting weights and strong man events 4 - 5 times a week and won't skip. Find a weight training program that works for you - Convict Conditioning is a good one.

The important part is to worry about how you feel, how your clothing feels and how you look in the mirror. Getting 'bulky' for girls is not all that easy so definitely go for the challenging weights!
  • SouthernGuns
    Options

Good luck!!
    Weight lifting also helps preserve lean body mass while in a caloric deficit and it's much easier to retain what lean body mass you have now than it is to lose a bunch of it and try to build it back later. A person eating at a caloric deficit is not going to build muscle (aside from slight "newbie gains", so they will not have the worry of appearing bigger - the main difference they will see is increased definition of their existing musculature as they lose the subcutaneous fat covering it.

I want to lift more than cardio. Because muscel burns fat. And if you don't have good muscel, when I lose weight ill be soft squishy flabby skinny instead of toned skinny. So I see and understand the importance in lifting. And I'm aiming for toned skinny/slim. That is why I want more lifting than cardio. I was just seeing if anyone had results without cardio. Apparently it's possible. Lol
    Thank you for your comment helpful indeed.
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    A lot of good responses from people thus far. I am doing the weight training only and calorie conscious approach for the first time ever. I've lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks which is exactly the pace I want to go at in order to preserve strength. Why did I choose this approach? I hate doing cardio. It is boring and wears your body down without providing a continued metabolic advantage. On the flip side, I love lifting weights and strong man events 4 - 5 times a week and won't skip. Find a weight training program that works for you - Convict Conditioning is a good one.

The important part is to worry about how you feel, how your clothing feels and how you look in the mirror. Getting 'bulky' for girls is not all that easy so definitely go for the challenging weights!

Thank you ill take a look. Is there a difference in looking "bulky" and looking "muscular"??
    I want to and don't mind if I get muscular at all. Muscels are attractive in moderation. I wouldn't want to be a beast tho lol!!
  • IamGreenski
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying but we are talking about someone who is 50 lbs overweight. How much lean body mass do you think she has to preserve? The psychological factor for someone trying to lose 50 lbs is huge and it is my opinion that seeing your scale weight decrease at the fastest rate possible is what motivates newbies to continue to work.
  • IamGreenski
    Options
    Yes. Putting on muscle will not contribute to your perception that you are losing bodyfat if it is hidden behind fat.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The outcome? Being a badazz, although I do walk on a very high incline for 30 min 3x/week. And run occasionally, when I'm stressing.

My highest weight was~ 200 lb. Have no idea what I weigh now, I go by measurements. 3 years in, though. Patience!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thank you ill take a look. Is there a difference in looking "bulky" and looking "muscular"??
    I want to and don't mind if I get muscular at all. Muscels are attractive in moderation. I wouldn't want to be a beast tho lol!!

You will find differences in interpretation - but 'bulky' is really when you have fat covering muscle. Muscular i.e. with muscle definition happens when you get to a low enough body fat to uncover the muscle. The size of the muscle will depend on genetics and your strength training routine. The big really muscular women that are often used as an example, well, they are on steroids.

Example, I have 'muscular' arms, but when a higher body fat, they look 'bulky'. They will never get really big however as I do not take steroids.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying but we are talking about someone who is 50 lbs overweight. How much lean body mass do you think she has to preserve? The psychological factor for someone trying to lose 50 lbs is huge and it is my opinion that seeing your scale weight decrease at the fastest rate possible is what motivates newbies to continue to work.

I had a 100lbs to lose when I first started, and while the weight didn't change as quickly on the scale as it did for some other people I lost a lot of inches.

This was just as satisfying to see as the scale number. Plus I could also see my body changing and I could open jars and feel strong... that's just as motivating.
  • IamGreenski
    Options
    Well said!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I lost 37lb and worked my *kitten* off to make sure I maintained every last gram of LBM I could, which included lifting from day 1..and am very happy I did. Have you read the OPs responses?

What exactly do you mean "how much do you think she has to preserve?". Are you insinuating that she does not have much? If you are that is a silly assumption and also, if you do not have much in the first place why on earth would you risk it? It is really really hard for women to gain muscle.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I think people on this site have so over-stressed strength training that the (non-visible) advantages of cardio exercise (especially interval training) are often discounted. It is not all about how you look in a bikini. Now granted, strength training has an element of HIIT to it, but I don't see how running, biking etc can be considered disadvantageous.
    Long-duration, steady state, low-intensity cardio may offer few advantages as the body adapts very quickly but a good fast-paced run or spin session works well for the heart. Nothing beats the endorphin rush afterwards.
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    While we are all chatting it up about lifting, I need some help.

How can I work my thighs without doing lunges or squats. Keep in mind I work out at home so I have no press or anything.
    I was told by my doctor, because of my bad knees and damage I did to them in highschool athletics, he strongly did not
    Recommend me doing lunges. I tore some stuff up badly doing those. And I was in very good physical condition when it happend.
    But what are some ways to work my thighs besides the lunge and squat. I can squat just in moderation.
    Anyone got some intel for me?
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    GEt shredded. I just recently added cardio to get results faster and i dont wanna eat less
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm showing sitting down photos, mostly because my sitting down 'before' photo was the only one I could find.

8147291188_94f2d61730.jpg

125kg.

9206997484_9187f6ec07.jpg

99kg.

Not 'more bulky' than before.

8289646955_829d5ce34d.jpg
  • SouthernGuns
    Options

You will find differences in interpretation - but 'bulky' is really when you have fat covering muscle. Muscular i.e. with muscle definition happens when you get to a low enough body fat to uncover the muscle. The size of the muscle will depend on genetics and your strength training routine. The big really muscular women that are often used as an example, well, they are on steroids.

Example, I have 'muscular' arms, but when a higher body fat, they look 'bulky'. They will never get really big however as I do not take steroids.

Ok thanks for enlightening me on the bulky lol! I don't mind looking bulk for a while. IF because of muscle
    I should keep in mind IS UNDER ALL THAT FAT causing me to be bulky and once that fat is gone the once "bulkiness" will show as toned muscle... Right?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!