Eating and only lifting, whats the outcome?

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <
    I hate cardio and most I do is walking.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for a good number of people.

I'm one of the few that NEEDS cardio as it gives me beer and fried chicken calories. :wink:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do about 10-15 mins of "cardio" for a warm up before lifting. I also go hiking and bike riding on weekends (but i did that while I was fat also).

Just lifted weights and stayed in a calorie deficit. Lost all my fat doing this.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy

Many girls featured in this thread do little to no cardio.

Some even suggest eating at maintenance and heavy lifting which gives you good results however if you have a huge amount of fat to lose then some deficit will definitely help and speed up the process (but with weight lifting, I recommend not going under a huge deficit)
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    all KIIIINDS of gainz

Sounds like something The Hodge Twins would say. Lol
    Might I be right? If not YouTube them lol!!

Shyt he beat me to it

NEVER question me on the twins! And you snooze you lose bro <3

I love hodge twins! I actually emailed them about stuff for women once.
    They give effective advice I think! Tought me not to " snap my $h!* up!"
    Haha!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Consistent calorie deficit = fat loss = a
    Resistance training = muscle preservation = b

a + b = looking sexy naked

If you have trouble with a then + cardio = you can eat more
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Consistent calorie deficit = fat loss = a
    Resistance training = muscle preservation = b

a + b = looking sexy naked

If you have trouble with a then + cardio = you can eat more

^^ love this. This is my objective totally.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm limited. Can't make it to gym at this time. But I use dumbells at home. And bands and my own body weight and jump rope.
    I have a full body work out I do to work all my muscels ,glutes, triceps, traps, biceps, obliques, ect. All the majors. I have a workout for each muscel/muscel group. I do 3sets with 20 reps a piece. And each week I bump reps up by 5 more. And as I get Stronger ill up my dumbell weight and get more resistant bands. I plaink as well to help the abs. And some yoga. I have 10 exersizes I do. Includes stretching and gettig after my ham string.

Do not bump up the reps - rather use heavier weights....You will end up spending a lot less time and getting a lot better results if you do that...A million reps with 5 lbs will not give you the same results...
    I have bad knees and I squat - I am just more carefull with form...Lunges too, althoug I do not go that deeply....Wall squats is the perfect way to get you going....
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    What would be the results of a person 50 pounds over weight.
    Who only lifts and counts and cuts calories with no cardio?
    ( no I'm not saying I'm doing this) just wondering if you can get results, or
    If anyone has by doing this.). ???? -thanks

I have had great results from steadily decreasing my cardio. I started off desperate to lose weight fast and not understanding a lot about cutting. I did a ton of cardio at first and was horrible at tracking.

The leaner I've gotten, the lower the amount of cardio has been done. I really don't like it at all tbh. I do the bare minimum for heart health and stamina which is like 10 mins on a mill after a training session. To most people that's a warm-up. If I didn't care about stamina 0 cardio would be done, I could use that time to get home sooner. LOL

Mind you, at my highest I was doing cardio 7 days a week aiming for 400-600 cals on low days and 700-1200 on high days. So effin stupid.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I hardly do any cardio.. Nothing "specific".. I go for a hike or bike ride for fun, and am always up and down the stairs delivering laundry or cleaning... But no cardio program.

I lost my weight like I planned (20 pounds) and my body fat % is much lower. I feel stronger and more energetic.

I use Stronglifts 5x5 for lifting and was eating at a 15-20% deficit, but am now at a 5-10% deficit.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What would be the results of a person 50 pounds over weight.
    Who only lifts and counts and cuts calories with no cardio?
    ( no I'm not saying I'm doing this) just wondering if you can get results, or
    If anyone has by doing this.). ???? -thanks

I have had great results from steadily decreasing my cardio. I started off desperate to lose weight fast and not understanding a lot about cutting. I did a ton of cardio at first and was horrible at tracking.

The leaner I've gotten, the lower the amount of cardio has been done. I really don't like it at all tbh. I do the bare minimum for heart health and stamina which is like 10 mins on a mill after a training session. To most people that's a warm-up. If I didn't care about stamina 0 cardio would be done, I could use that time to get home sooner. LOL

Yeah I only do cardio after lifting. I use all my energy for lifting. I do see some people do cardio as a warm up. I personally don't agree with it but whatever works I guess.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Do not bump up the reps - rather use heavier weights....You will end up spending a lot less time and getting a lot better results if you do that...A million reps with 5 lbs will not give you the same results...
    I have bad knees and I squat - I am just more carefull with form...Lunges too, althoug I do not go that deeply....Wall squats is the perfect way to get you going....

DITTO!
    Don't increase the rep, increase the weights! I keep reading, Moore than 15-20 reps doesn't help much more, it's better to increase the weights.

What do you use/do for body weights.
    If you have a smartphone/apple device, get the app You are Ypur Own Gym, it,s about $4. It have Poland and timers and videos for Bodyweight exercises.

I also use an yoga app called Pocket Yoga Builder. You can choose different poses and lengths of time, it puts it together for your own personalized yoga session, you can add your own music, or use the simple soothing music they have, or none.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my oldest sister is into ONLY lifting and her body is NOT attractive with all the what I call MAN muscles. EWWWWWWWW
  • SouthernGuns
    Options
    Because I'm a stay at home mom and I'm limited. Can't make it to gym at this time. But I use dumbells at home. And bands and my own body weight and jump rope.
    I have a full body work out I do to work all my muscels ,glutes, triceps, traps, biceps, obliques, ect. All the majors. I have a workout for each muscel/muscel group. I do 3sets with 20 reps a piece. And each week I bump reps up by 5 more. And as I get Stronger ill up my dumbell weight and get more resistant bands. I plaink as well to help the abs. And some yoga. I have 10 exersizes I do. Includes stretching and gettig after my ham string.

I didn't even think about that ! Thank you. Ill bump up my weight instead of reps that does sound more correct and more efficient. Thanks for ur comment! :-)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight (at least 40, and maybe 50 pounds because I didnt weigh for a long time) through a calorie deficit and lifting progressively heavier weight.

It is worth maintaining EVERY BIT of muscle you can...so happy to see you thinking this way.

I do walk a few days a week as well.

I started at 40.

44475254_1042.jpg
    44475254_7846.jpg

now:
    44475254_9.jpg
    44475254_7338.jpg
    Damn, kicking *kitten*! You look great!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I started 13 months ago I had my body fat tested at 46%, in March I had it tested at 26% in that time I lost 110 pounds and 96 pounds were fat. I did this with a combination of lifting & running (because I love both!) and to me it has been an ideal way to earn more calories to eat more (usually eat 2000+ calories daily) and get stronger. I am now down to 24% body fat and focusing even more on lifting. I just started Strong Lifts 5x5 and even though I've only completed two of their workouts I feel amazing! Sore in the best way! Good luck on your journey!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Add strength training (and/or cardio) as you wish to either help with the deficit, or improve other areas of fitness. It doesn't matter if you're 10, 50 or 100lbs overweight. You will lose weight in a calorie deficit, which can be achieved solely through diet (although I wouldn't recommend it)

Assuming the deficit is the same in all these instances:

Cardio = Increased CV fitness, endurance...

Lifting = Maintaining your muscle, increase in strength...

Cardio + lifting = A combination of the above.
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MAKE SURE YOU STRETCH PIROR TO WORKING OUT!!!!!

When I first started I forgot to stretch and I was out for 1.5 weeks. lol.
    I however have the opportunity to goto a gym so I do cardio for 30 minutes then lift for 15 minutes. I never exercise for more than 45 minutes.

You will lose body fat and it will take time just like any other way of losing weight.

Have fun on your journey!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    my oldest sister is into ONLY lifting and her body is NOT attractive with all the what I call MAN muscles. EWWWWWWWW

I really hope this is you trolling, and not a serious post.

First, muscle is gender neutral. Everyone has muscles, not just men.

Secondly, a body with lots of muscle (which you may or may not think looks like a man) is not achieved through just lifting, as if by accident. It's achieved through hard work towards a specific body. You can lift and gain hardly any muscle, just like you can lift and gain a lot (over time) Diet is a key part. Body fat % also plays a role in how muscular you appear.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    <
    I hate cardio and most I do is walking.

You look awesome!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!