Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    But the problem I have with eating only meat is where do people get their necessary vitamins and minerals? What about fiber? That is a ***** load of saturated fats. Your omegas would be whacked out.

My understanding is that most of that would come from eating meat rare. My question is: How much of a drop off in vitamin content is there from rare to say medium?

Rare or raw?

Probably rare since e. coli is very bad for you. You'd have to at least sear the outside.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I could really use some tartare right now
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    You sure can, my co-worker has twice and lost weight aaaaand that's all I am going to say on here. :|

I lost weight too...not by eating only meat but by eating less calories than I burn.

But what completely arbitrary and unnecessary dietary restrictions did you employ while doing it? That's apparently what matters most and gets all of the credit.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can't do it, I'm a loser ;)
    Did you decide not to try, or did you try and decided you didn't want to continue? No judgment either way, just curious about your experience if you tried.

There are two things I contemplated. Firstly, whether eating only meat was really healthy or not. For me, it is not and considering I had surgery on March 1st, I am still in the healing process, it would be a super dumb idea. I still have another week to join her but I think I will just let her have her fun without me. It is just not worth it. I may, however, challenge her to "my diet" vs. "her diet" and see loses the most percentage points of body weight. I think the advantage lies with me.

The other thought was that eating meat is very constipating for me and I have been, since a little girl, forever constipated. Doesn't matter what I do, it doesn't work. I love threads where people need ideas on how to relieve constipation and I just laugh because I have no idea at all. So thirty days of only meat and being constipated the entire time, I would rather chew on busted glass.

Thank you to everyone that posted in this thread, you are inspirational!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Did you decide not to try, or did you try and decided you didn't want to continue? No judgment either way, just curious about your experience if you tried.

There are two things I contemplated. Firstly, whether eating only meat was really healthy or not. For me, it is not and considering I had surgery on March 1st, I am still in the healing process, it would be a super dumb idea. I still have another week to join her but I think I will just let her have her fun without me. It is just not worth it. I may, however, challenge her to "my diet" vs. "her diet" and see loses the most percentage points of body weight. I think the advantage lies with me.

The other thought was that eating meat is very constipating for me and I have been, since a little girl, forever constipated. Doesn't matter what I do, it doesn't work. I love threads where people need ideas on how to relieve constipation and I just laugh because I have no idea at all. So thirty days of only meat and being constipated the entire time, I would rather chew on busted glass.

Coconut oil and magnesium citrate, or magnesium oxoide if you want impressive results. These may help with constipation.

Day one for me, but it's not all meat. I am including some coconut oil and eggs.... and coffee. So far I am under my calories with coconut oil in my coffee, a couple of eggs, pepperoni sticks, salmon and some homemade bratwurst.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Coconut oil and magnesium citrate, or magnesium oxoide if you want impressive results. These may help with constipation.

Day one for me, but it's not all meat. I am including some coconut oil and eggs.... and coffee. So far I am under my calories with coconut oil in my coffee, a couple of eggs, pepperoni sticks, salmon and some homemade bratwurst.

Thank you. I'm interested in your challenge, I would love updates if you're so inclined.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, this article popped up while I was reading the morning news. An excerpt: "...Why is it that some people can stay healthy only by sticking to a strict vegetarian diet? Why is it that others can eat a steak a day, remain slim, avoid heart disease and feel like a million dollars? The answers may lie in your heritage. Cornell University researchers have found a fascinating genetic variation that they said appears to have evolved in populations that favored vegetarian diets over hundreds of generations....this new study, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, shows that different people may need radically different ratios of the substances in their diet depending on their genes, and it supports the growing evidence against a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and for highly personalized advice..."
    The entire article is quite interesting: news.nationalpost.com/health/some-people-are-born-vegetarians-and-ignoring-genetic-preference-imperils-their-health-study-finds
    ETA: the article also references the meat-centred diet of the Inuit

• nvmomketo
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In case anyone is interested:

I'm a few days into a meat, eggs, coconut oil, butter and coffee diet now. I feel fine. I find my kcals are a little lower. I am having a slightly difficult time eating that much meat and eggs. I just don't feel like eating more - I get full. I generally have coffee with some coconut oil until around 12 or 1pm when I'll eat a lunch of about 400kcal, and then dinner of 800kcal around 6pm. I seem to be eating just under 1400 kcal per day.

My foods over the last few days have included eggs, ground beef, sirloin, salmon, rib steak, homemade bratwurst, coconut oil, coffee, a bit of heavy whipping cream, PC Pepperellos, lamb burgers, bacon drippings and some seasoning.

I've lost a pound and a half. Could just be a scale fluctuation, or a bit of water weight from cutting carbs to <10g from ~20g.

I am not constipated but frequency of BMs is down. There is just less bulk there.

Physically I feel the same. My tennis elbow is bugging me more but I think that has less to do with diet and more to do with overdoing it in the garden - it is a beautiful early spring here that is hard to resist.. :)

So in summary: I feel good, energy is normal, hunger is slightly down, weight may be slightly less, BM amount and frequency is down without constipation.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think variety is always a good thing but here is an article, take from it what you will but there are and have been cultures that meat was their diet. diagnosisdiet.com/all-meat-diets/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    LOL I had 1g of fibre today! :D
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Omg lol i was thinking of what recipes i could make for this and couldnt think of anything but i just thought of a really goodone
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    You sure can, my co-worker has twice and lost weight aaaaand that's all I am going to say on here. :|

I lose weight whenever I eat less calories than I burn.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Lol you go girl. 25g is my absolute minimum.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Crikey! I'm sweating bullets
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    What is "ruddier?" Lol
    Interesting article!
    I offer this without any real comment. I just know that they exist: http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/09/two-brave-men-who-ate-nothing-but-meat.html?m=1

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think a diet that includes some vegetables and plant foods is better than one without but meat is healthful and nutritious.

Red meat won’t kill you. It will make you stronger.
  • troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Eating meat ONLY tends to be a rarity in only a handful of cultures around the world. I don't think it's by choice, it's by necessity.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am not constipated but frequency of BMs is down. There is just less bulk there..

CO = CI :-)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    In case anyone is interested:

I'm a few days into a meat, eggs, coconut oil, butter and coffee diet now. I feel fine. I find my kcals are a little lower. I am having a slightly difficult time eating that much meat and eggs. I just don't feel like eating more - I get full. I generally have coffee with some coconut oil until around 12 or 1pm when I'll eat a lunch of about 400kcal, and then dinner of 800kcal around 6pm. I seem to be eating just under 1400 kcal per day.

My foods over the last few days have included eggs, ground beef, sirloin, salmon, rib steak, homemade bratwurst, coconut oil, coffee, a bit of heavy whipping cream, PC Pepperellos, lamb burgers, bacon drippings and some seasoning.

I've lost a pound and a half. Could just be a scale fluctuation, or a bit of water weight from cutting carbs to <10g from ~20g.

I am not constipated but frequency of BMs is down. There is just less bulk there.

Physically I feel the same. My tennis elbow is bugging me more but I think that has less to do with diet and more to do with overdoing it in the garden - it is a beautiful early spring here that is hard to resist.. :)

So in summary: I feel good, energy is normal, hunger is slightly down, weight may be slightly less, BM amount and frequency is down without constipation.

Still sticking with it? Were you losing or maintaining before starting this mainly meat diet?