Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

No vegetable oil either? Why not? Seriously I do not understand this.

"Vegetable oil". Hmm. Look at a vegetable. Where's the oil ? What's the nutrient in "vegetable oil" that's essential to life that isn't in meat ?

Mankind probably got here without seeing industrially extracted oils for most of the journey.

Not that I think you need vegetable oil, but have you seen an olive or an avocado?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

"Vegetable oil". Hmm. Look at a vegetable. Where's the oil ? What's the nutrient in "vegetable oil" that's essential to life that isn't in meat ?

Mankind probably got here without seeing industrially extracted oils for most of the journey.

Not that I think you need vegetable oil, but have you seen an olive or an avocado?

They are green or black?
    They are oval?
    They come with a stem?
    They float?

What game are we playing?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I had plans to try something like this already, except I am still including coconut oil and some eggs.

Oh I'm glad you're here. I'm genuinely curious why people try something like this? I know you're a huge proponent of keto and how beneficial its been for you. What's the draw for something even more extreme like this? Are you hoping for accelerated weight loss? Some change in your health markers? Ive been struggling go understand the appeal and potential benefits of this, other than bragging rights, and while I don't always agree with your logic I know that you have strong convictions about your LCHF lifestyle so I'm sure yo are trying to avhieve something with this.

For me, it is partially curiosity, There are a few low carbers on MFP who eat virtually an all meat diet. They've discussed how it made them feel even better. Better energy, better stomach issues, better weight loss and stability, and the cooking is simple. LOL I felt a lot better going keto. It's why I have stayed with it. I wonder if I will feel even better after cutting out veggies... As it is, there are many veggies I avoid due to stomach pain, bloating and gas. I do find that the fewer plant products I eat, the better I have felt so far. This is just taking it a bit further.

I would enjoy seeing a bit of weight loss but I am a size 8 so I am pretty happy with where I am. I now eat quite a bit for a sedentary woman (about 2000-2500kcal per day) so I doubt I'll lose. If I do it will be because my appetite dips and I eat less, or it increases my CO, or a combination of the two.

As for health markers, I wouldn't mind seeing lower FBG numbers and lower insulin, but that's about it. My health markers are fine and don't need improving.

It is just some experimenting. I'll see how it makes me feel and if that is worth the expected food boredom. Who knows, I may enjoy it. I enjoy a keto diet much more than most people seem to expect, so maybe this will agree with me too.

It isn't about bragging rights. I doubt I will even tell anybody (IRL) I am doing it besides my husband. I don't need the support or judgement from others. Most people can't wrap their heads around this idea. I think it is sort of like vegetarianism or veganism was viewed 30 or so years ago. It is largely misunderstood.

Thanks for responding.

Do the people who do this diet on the regular ever talk about any negative impacts or feelings about the approach? I tend to find anyone who can't point to possible or actual drawbacks that they encounter far less compelling as an influencer. I would much rather hear "well, now it's great but when I first started I felt XYZ" or "sure, I enjoy eating a juicy rare ribeye every night but in all honesty, I'd love a baked potato or some asparagus to go with it" but I'm sticking with this approach!

The evangelical zealot approach doesn't resonate well with me, I believe any rational person should be able to recognize and acknowledge pros and cons with any point of view.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited March 2016
    Options

I've been trying to understand the appeal of this "challenge" especially for those who seem to embrace it for longer than a month. One thing I had theorized that some of these people just don't like vegetables so they see this as a good way to avoid them for a month "hey I'm doing a challenge, I can't eat that broccoli!". But I couldn't understand how vegetable oil fit in with that mindset.

People keep saying this diet isn't that much different than vegetarians or vegans, but many who follow that lifestyle are doing it for ethical reasons. Are the meat only eaters doing this to protect the plants?

I just truly am trying to wrap my head about it.

Yep, that comparison is driving me nuts. Most who are vegetarians or vegans are doing it because they do not want animals to die in order to fill their belly. This challenge is the opposite...it is wanting the most animals possible to die in order for their bellies to be full.

Que? I doubt people are entering this as a way to "kill the most animals". Seriously?

The reason it is being compared, and which makes sense as a comparison, is that both are restrictive diets, both carried out without thought will lead to nutritional issues.

Clearly the comparison isn't about the ethical background but about the restrictive attitudes that are needed and the dietary results.

And in both cases it is possible to overcome the nutritional issues.

It may not be what brought them to the diet, but it still is the net action. An all meat diet causes the most animal deaths possible in one's diet. There is not one morsel of their food that isn't about the death of an animal.

And I still don't like the comparison. One is an ethical or moral food choice and the other clearly is not.

I also will say a vegetarian or vegan diet can easily meet nutritional needs because the diet is still quite varied. An all meat diet, I have still not heard from anyone of the supporters in this thread how it can meet all the needed nutrients for a healthy, balanced diet. I doubt I will.

But a lot of vegetarians don't eat vegetarian for ethical reasons. One can say "I understand the moral principals, and morals aside" compare the two diets, particularly when the vast majority of people do not use morals as a primary decider of their dietary choices. Whether we like or not a comparison it is still possible to make one based on a subset of criteria and parameters - here it is dietary subgroups and vitamin deficiency risks.

I don't support an all meat WoE but I will state how it can meat all the nutrient needs of a balance diet.
    In fact, any diet may meet all the needs of nutrition. It's called supplementation. Supplementation is relatively easy.
    Nor is what the OP is suggesting a long term WoE - it seems to be a one month thing.

Still there are several people that have completed clinical research of eating that way. There is even a family that only eats meat and has done so for 17 years. Clearly they have not experienced scurvy or other nutritional deficiencies.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.de/2009/09/two-brave-men-who-ate-nothing-but-meat.html

edit: floating phrase.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    And people do all sorts of waca-doodle experiments with food - if you are trying to understand how people can get into the whole "only meat" thing I remember reading the Joe Anderson and his family blog about how it was "the best thing for them".

Here is someone who has gone from vegan to all meat. http://zerocarbzen.com/about-me/

Well, personally I'm going to consider all restrictive diets as dubious (or worse) - I'll respect how people eat because I understand it is a multifaceted decision that includes so many different factors - but generally anyone arguing either that their WoE is "nutritionally best" or the opposite that method x is "OMG, gonna die, necessarily nutritionally deficient" is blowing the horn on two sides of the same coin (might as well mix my metaphors and screw the pooch) and full of it.

Any diet may be nutritionally deficient. Almost any diet may meet personal nutritional needs. Most require some thought and specific action.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

They are green or black?
    They are oval?
    They come with a stem?
    They float?

What game are we playing?

I thought we were playing Where's Waldo, but now it seems more like Guess Who.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could, but it doesn't sound like much fun.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I'd say most vegetarians and almost all vegans do it for ethical or moral reasons. Sure the fad vegetarians who think it will help them lose weight, but that fad dieter lasts as long as other dad dieters do on their ways of eating.

Even for a month, I don't think it is nutritionally sound. I have asked those select few who have come in saying they have done it for how they balance the nutrition, but I have not heard back. Once again, I am not surprised. How are they making sure it is nutrient balanced??? *shrugs*

Apart from Vitamin C and E what nutritional deficiency are you concerned about? Can these deficiencies be managed on an all meat diet?

Or are you asking if a "only meat" diet is suboptimal? It is. But so is a vegan diet. Whoops, doing that comparison thing again.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So I guess by your standards I am inappropriate to ask someone eating a whole meat diet how they are making sure their diet is nutrient and health sound. I stand corrected. Who knew.

If someone wanted to ask me how I make sure my vegetarian diet (and my plan when I transition to vegan) was nutritionally balanced and sound, I would be more than happy to answer.

The fact that you consider my vegetarian diet dubious matters little to me. I'll get over it.

Moving on.

I don't think your diet is dubious. (You missed the rest of the sentence.)
    Please don't get defensive.

Nor do I think it is incorrect to ask questions or somehow that is "inappropriate".
    I'm sure you, in turn, get all the questions about "but vitamin b12" "but protein" about your WoE.

In general, they might be actual questions by someone considering your WoE as an option, sometimes they are concern trolling; the use of a "sense of concern" as a way of criticising a diet.

Are you truly concerned about "primal carnivores" and their dietary inefficiencies? We can discuss those in detail - again, the vitamin C issue can be relatively easily managed. Or are you on principal against this and concern trolling because you see it as unethical?

Which is fine - but take a clear stand - if you are against this WoE for ethical reasons, I can understand that position - even if I complete do not share it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Hmm. Meat only. I suppose it could be just hamburger which is certainly cheapest of all cuts. I know Costco has a huge selection of frozen ground beef and bacon. My hubby thinks I'm nuts if I do this but it's only one month.

True. How about sausage? Some varieties can have fillers that aren't meat.

Ground beef is fine, but I've always thought those plastic tube packs were a bit suspect.

What are these plastic tube packs you speak of?

These types of packs...

burger-meat-e1374631076571.jpg

Heh I've never seen mince packaged like that here. Sausage mince come like that though.

Sausage is what I'm familiar with in those too, as well as the little versions the farm I buy from uses for ground pork and lamb. Just don't like thinking of them as tubes, ugh.

Are these chubs extra large? Or are we talking the little ones?

(Oh, just noticed 5 lbs -- so big ones!)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    This is no different then the other fad type of challenges around.
    Every week there's a new one that goes around like " go paleo for a month " or " eat only eggs for a week and lose weight " or " green smoothie 30 day challenge"
    Some people will blindly follow anything.

I'll continue to eat a well balanced diet that meets all my macros and micros.

But don't you think one month is not very long to do any long term damage but just to torch some body fat? What could be the harm?

No I don't think one month would do major damage.

But I do not see eating all meat as a superior way to torch body fat. That would come down to a calorie deficit. Let's say I ate all bananas while you ate all beef but both of us ate 1400 calories per day. We would both be "torching" fat because we would both be in a calorie deficit. We would both lose weight.
    It would come down to calories for weight loss. So my point is that diets like this are unnecessary . why torture yourself with eating only meat when you could eat a well balanced varied diet and still get the same results ? If someone enjoys eating only meat then they should go for it but from a weight loss standpoint, its totally unnecessary. People want to believe there's a magic diet for them because they are special snowflakes. This diet isn't any different then all the other Eat this and not that craziness.

Also keep in mind that many people are followers , they don't think for themselves. I'd be willing to bet that your friend saw this new diet on social media and just went along with it because she saw others doing it. I had several coworkers who took part in a fitbit challenge. They where supposed to get in x amount of steps per day. Well they where going home and putting their fitbits on their kids and having the kids run around to get the steps in. They just did the challenge to fit in and really it meant nothing to them. Its the herd mentality. About a year later there was a group of ladies from the gym who did a vegetarian challenge. They where supposed to eat no meat or animal products for the month. During the month I saw one of the ladies at McDonald's. I asked her why she saw ordering a big Mac because their challenge wasn't over yet. She said " don't tell anyone I was here, please ! I just did it to have something in common with the girls and wanted them to like me " I told her I wouldn't tell and because I wasn't part of the challenge anyway so it didn't matter to me anyway. My point is- sometimes people will do or say anything to try to fit in with a crowd . these people find it impossible to just be their selves so latch onto whatever the new fad or trend is. Your friend probably just saw this all meat thing posted somewhere and went along with it.

There's two groups of people that go along with this type of stuff- 1. The People who are always looking for the magical miraculous diet . paleo one week and keto the next and vegetarian the week after..
    2. The people that will follow anything just to be part of a click or crowd.

If I where you , I would nicely explain to the friend that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit and special diets are unnecessary for weight loss. I would also ask her how she planned on hitting all her macros and micros by eating only meat. It wouldn't be easy and would not produce some miraculous result.
  • AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Had a buddy at previous employer that did this. He was about 300 lbs, and lost weight dramatically. If I remember right (probably not), it was a form of Atkins. I remember one of his lunches was just a huge pile of bacon. He had massive success - about 80 lbs lost in maybe 4 months - but it didn't look fun. He often said he was tired of eating just meat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had plans to try something like this already, except I am still including coconut oil and some eggs.

All meats?

No, I will include some coconut oil amd eggs. I'll skip dairy because I find I tend to do better without much and my cheese consumption is creeping up. I'll see how it goes. I enjoy veggies so it could get old. If so, I'll stop.

I'm sorry, I meant which type of meats?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Almost all ground beef has a small amount of fecal material in it....sure you wanna eat it raw?

Because cooked fecal matter makes it better?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AndyJBacon wrote: »
    Had a buddy at previous employer that did this. He was about 300 lbs, and lost weight dramatically. If I remember right (probably not), it was a form of Atkins. I remember one of his lunches was just a huge pile of bacon. He had massive success - about 80 lbs lost in maybe 4 months - but it didn't look fun. He often said he was tired of eating just meat.

I suspect this sort of thing works in large part because it makes eating dull and tedious. I know I couldn't overeat if I ate only meat, and as time went on it would be hard to force myself to eat much. Not because I can't overeat meat in the context of a normal diet (I most certainly can), but because 1800 (or whatever) calories of meat is A LOT, and even if I started eating lots and lots I'd get so bored with it (especially since I'm not even that into bacon, heh).

The difficulty would be not deciding you can't take it any more and burying yourself in the first non meat option you see after reaching that point, but if super motivated to lose a lot I can see that not happening (or for a shorter period of time, I guess, although I'd say not worth it and quit, I imagine, unless there was some reward like money or bragging rights). I do think that for some the fact that you can't even think about other foods, they are just not what you eat, might make it easier. I enjoy food too much for that to be worthwhile for me, though. I wouldn't want to stop enjoying food, even if it made weight control easier.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Interestingly, this article popped up while I was reading the morning news. An excerpt: "...Why is it that some people can stay healthy only by sticking to a strict vegetarian diet? Why is it that others can eat a steak a day, remain slim, avoid heart disease and feel like a million dollars? The answers may lie in your heritage. Cornell University researchers have found a fascinating genetic variation that they said appears to have evolved in populations that favored vegetarian diets over hundreds of generations....this new study, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, shows that different people may need radically different ratios of the substances in their diet depending on their genes, and it supports the growing evidence against a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and for highly personalized advice..."
    The entire article is quite interesting: news.nationalpost.com/health/some-people-are-born-vegetarians-and-ignoring-genetic-preference-imperils-their-health-study-finds
    ETA: the article also references the meat-centred diet of the Inuit
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Interestingly, this article popped up while I was reading the morning news. An excerpt: "...Why is it that some people can stay healthy only by sticking to a strict vegetarian diet? Why is it that others can eat a steak a day, remain slim, avoid heart disease and feel like a million dollars? The answers may lie in your heritage. Cornell University researchers have found a fascinating genetic variation that they said appears to have evolved in populations that favored vegetarian diets over hundreds of generations....this new study, funded by the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, shows that different people may need radically different ratios of the substances in their diet depending on their genes, and it supports the growing evidence against a one-size-fits-all approach to nutrition and for highly personalized advice..."
    The entire article is quite interesting: news.nationalpost.com/health/some-people-are-born-vegetarians-and-ignoring-genetic-preference-imperils-their-health-study-finds
    ETA: the article also references the meat-centred diet of the Inuit

Pretty useless if the article does not put a single link to any of the studies it's talking about and instead looked for 5 stock photos and a youtube video titled "Is Arnold Schwarzenegger going vegan?".