Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Raw meat, parasites. Is that going to be a problem for you? What do you do about that if you have to eat fresh raw meat? I've always wondered about this with people who eat raw meat and fish.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blog that is recommending letting raw meat go rancid before eating it...

Stuff like that is a delicacy in some places.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Raw meat, parasites. Is that going to be a problem for you? What do you do about that if you have to eat fresh raw meat? I've always wondered about this with people who eat raw meat and fish.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blog that is recommending letting raw meat go rancid before eating it...

The idea is ludicrous! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Liz...you will be OK for a month, in my opinion. Many indigenous Arctic cultures survived and thrived for millennia on diets of primarily whale, seal and bear meat, and in winter, rotted fish, with a growing season of barely two months to provide any kind of vegetation. This is well-documented: Google "Indigenous Arctic diets".
    The real question is, "Will you lose any weight?".

No, the real question is, "How many types of vitamin/mineral deficiencies can you acquire?" Those cultures may have lived for millennia on meat but have one of the lowest lifespans of modern man.

"Inuit Greenlanders, who historically have had limited access to fruits and vegetables, have the worst longevity statistics in North America. Research from the past and present shows that they die on the average about 10 years younger and have a higher rate of cancer than the overall Canadian population.1…"

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-are-the-inuit-healthy.html
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

No vegetable oil either? Why not? Seriously I do not understand this.

It's not meat. It's from vegetables. I believe no coconut oil either. Nada. Just meat.

I think it needs to be fatty meat.

I would think it would have to be.

I am assuming no coffee either since that's not meatsy.

I will need a clarification because coffee
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

The idea is ludicrous! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

You have to open outside!!! Lol
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Why? Even very low carb programs emphasis veggies. I'm a firm believer in protein...but not to the exclusion of everything else. I would say challenge not accepted.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I remember a wife swap episode many years ago which one family ate raw meat and then would let it "cure" by putting it in a mason jar and let it go rancid. They considered it a special treat. I am pretty sure I threw up in my mouth while watching that episode.

This whole thread is making me throw up in my mouth a bit. Drinking blood, eating raw meat, eating rancid meat.... yuck, yuck, and more yuck. I really love meat of all kinds, but if I had to eat only meat for a month, I do believe it would turn me off to eating meat for a long time afterward.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can't believe their are people who never eat raw meat. Thinly sliced beef with a raw egg on top (I had in Korea, can't recall the name) or kitfo (no citrus, but hella spices) is like heaven. Now I want kitfo again. QQ
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I can't believe their are people who never eat raw meat. Thinly sliced beef with a raw egg on top (I had in Korea, can't recall the name) or kitfo (no citrus, but hella spices) is like heaven. Now I want kitfo again. QQ

Plenty of people who eat no meat, raw or cooked. This is surprising to you?
  • DorkothyParker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I mean, for those that eat meat, it seems odd to not have raw meat. It's often viewed as a specialty in many cultures. When offered the opportunity to eat food of other cultures, I look for what is most unlike food at home.

But then, I am also a blue-steak girl. (Blue girl, blue steak.)

If you eat cow, I recommend finding a reputable restaurant with tartare, yukhoe (I googled it!), or kitfo or some other ethnic version and try it. It's amazing. You can also get pho and just try a piece prior to mixing in the broth. Heaven! Heaven I say!

Also, hyperbole.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I couldn't do it, i'd be blocked up for days :noway: And be bored after 2. I really can't come up with any health benefits to eating only meat??

Plus eating organ meat of any description is a big fat NO for me, and medium is as low as i can go for cooked meats.
  • DorkothyParker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I only eat raw ground beef (kitfo is the only ground, the others are sliced) if it is from a single cut of meat. I wouldn't eat prepackaged ground beef raw.
    And, actually, I only have eaten raw meat from restaurants. I guess technically my steaks are "black and blue" at home.

I heard my toothbrush has a small amount of fecal material on it. I mean, your body, your choice. I just love these foods and wanted to share them. But there is definitely a balance of risk/reward. For example, their is a risk of listeria on lunch meats. This risk is significantly higher for pregnant women. While pregnant, I only ate heated lunch meat. I do not heat my sliced turkey now.

As a totes healthy person, I don't get too bent up.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I only eat raw ground beef (kitfo is the only ground, the others are sliced) if it is from a single cut of meat. I wouldn't eat prepackaged ground beef raw.
    And, actually, I only have eaten raw meat from restaurants. I guess technically my steaks are "black and blue" at home.

I heard my toothbrush has a small amount of fecal material on it. I mean, your body, your choice. I just love these foods and wanted to share them. But there is definitely a balance of risk/reward. For example, their is a risk of listeria on lunch meats. This risk is significantly higher for pregnant women. While pregnant, I only ate heated lunch meat. I do not heat my sliced turkey now.

As a totes healthy person, I don't get too bent up.

I've eaten sushi, kitfo and steak tartare my entire adult life and never become ill. I've also eaten chicken sashimi and raw quail and chicken eggs with the same result. I won't eat raw oysters (or these other foods) from dives though. It depends on proper food prep. One can just as easily get sick from raw vegetables that aren't properly cleaned. There's quite a lot of cultural bias in the US against raw food though.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No it is not unhealthy. Research ancestral diets. And I've done it much longer than a month but there are things in our society that make it a very hard lifestyle to maintain. I've been back at it (with the exception of a bit of coconut oil) for over two weeks and I'm finally getting back to feeling awesome. My child is half Inuit so it's an appropriate diet for her. Her health has been badly damaged by plant foods, including vegetables and fruits. I am not Inuit but am still at my healthiest on an all animal food diet.

I'm not here to suggest anyone else should do it, but there's ample evidence to establish that it is not only safe, but ideal for some people. So accept that maybe it's not for you, but that it's an option for those who choose it.

PS. After reading a few of the comments there is much ignorance. If you haven't tried it, you don't know. It would be lovely to remember that when commenting. For instance: there is NO flatulence and NO "bathroom stench" after one has adapted to the WOE; it's plant foods that cause that and many other very uncomfortable, but now considered "normal", digestive problems.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There's reason for it -- if you just buy stuff at the grocery store it's probably not safe to eat it raw.

I've had raw fish/seafood, of course, and various types of raw beef (don't think any other raw meats, though), and don't think they are especially culturally disfavored (sashimi is mainstream, as it ceviche, although I wouldn't count it, and carpaccio isn't far from it). I've had sushi prepared for me by a guy I was dating who was into it, but even with sashimi grade I'd feel weird just making it at home, who knows why -- seared tuna is fine, on the other hand, and I've made ceviche -- and I definitely would not feel comfortable buying and making a raw beef dish, although I'd try most anything at a restaurant if I was comfortable with the quality (yes, this might be crazy, I've read Anthony Bourdain and all), and I do try unfamiliar things when traveling, of course.

Anyway, that people don't eat meat is hardly surprising.