Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    @queenliz99 I think both, or either. I know rare beef still retains some vitamin content...at least that seems to be the common opinion.

But are you saying the vitamins and minerals that come from raw meat retains more vitamins than rare meat? I would need to know the daily breakdown of numbers of how eating it raw is so much superior to rare. Wouldn't there be a health issue like E. Coli too?

That's kind of my question too. The understanding seems to be that heat destroys vitamins. So following that logic, one could deduce that raw meat would retain more vitamins than rare, but I haven't been able to find anything showing the difference.

When you say common opinion, what do you mean? Because if optimal health can be achieved eating raw meat then there should be some actual numbers somewhere. A breakdown. Again, whose common opinion do you mean?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Liz, if you want to do your FB friend one better, how about an all raw meat diet? http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/02/raw-meat-mono-diet-nutritionists-comment

I'm not sure if I want to challenge her, she is wicked >:)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @queenliz99 The thought of a meat challenge that wouldn't allow a meat lover's pizza gives me a sad. It would be bad for my mental health.

Scrape the meat off the pizza crust, it seems sacrilegious.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Raw meat, parasites. Is that going to be a problem for you? What do you do about that if you have to eat fresh raw meat? I've always wondered about this with people who eat raw meat and fish.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blog that is recommending letting raw meat go rancid before eating it...

Not sure if I like that idea either. How rancid do they mean? The smell must be gagging.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 I think both, or either. I know rare beef still retains some vitamin content...at least that seems to be the common opinion.

But are you saying the vitamins and minerals that come from raw meat retains more vitamins than rare meat? I would need to know the daily breakdown of numbers of how eating it raw is so much superior to rare. Wouldn't there be a health issue like E. Coli too?

That's kind of my question too. The understanding seems to be that heat destroys vitamins. So following that logic, one could deduce that raw meat would retain more vitamins than rare, but I haven't been able to find anything showing the difference.

When you say common opinion, what do you mean? Because if optimal health can be achieved eating raw meat then there should be some actual numbers somewhere. A breakdown. Again, whose common opinion do you mean?

Common opinion of people in forums who proclaim to eat all or mostly eat meat. I am not making any claims other than from what I understand, (read what I have been told by lay people) for people who eat only meat, most vitamins come from meat cooked very little. I believe rare meat falls in that category.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Common opinion of people in forums who proclaim to eat all or mostly eat meat. I am not making any claims other than from what I understand, (read what I have been told by lay people) for people who eat only meat, most vitamins come from meat cooked very little. I believe rare meat falls in that category.

So maybe I'm naive, but I'm trying to imagine if it is safe to consume raw meat? Beef carpaccio and tartare is raw, but it usually is served with lemon juice, but I don't know if that is for flavoring or if there is something in the citric acid that does "cure" the meat in a similar way to ceviche?

Are there other meats which can be consumed raw? Pork? Chicken? Lamb? I certainly wouldn't think so.

Sushi grade fish, I know the OP's challenge was beef only, but if it were "all meat" would fish/sushi be allowed?

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around if it is safe to even consume raw meat, let alone if you would get appropriate micronutrients from it.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Has anyone asked the question of "WHY"? Why does your friend want to do this OP? Is it because they are trying to prove a point? Do they dislike plants that much? Why would anyone choose to do this? Saying you CAN get adequate nutrition from something doesn't mean it is you SHOULD do, are people saying that they believe this diet is superior? Or is it simply a bragging rights kind of thing - like a Man Vs Food type challenge.

I'm truly asking - if there is a LCHF person on here that participates in these kind of challenges, I would genuinely be interested in the "why".
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Some seriously dangerous parasitical worm eggs will be consumed by eating fresh raw fish and meats.

Beware.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The Guardian article I linked warned most strongly against raw chicken, and I would not do raw pork (rational or not, I'm skeered of trichinosis).
  • queenliz99
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hmm, lay people. Did you see that person's meals and what they looked like everyday and if it added up to the appropriate nutrients? That would be really cool if you did.

Maybe I will challenge my friend to only raw meat. I suppose I would have to freeze it small bite size chunks so I could get it past my gullet.

ETA: The 30 Days of Bacon sounds like fun too.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Omnivore here. Same statement I make in vegan threads, except for ethical considerations. So why?
  • queenliz99
    edited March 2016
    Options
    double post
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hmm, lay people. Did you see that person's meals and what they looked like everyday and if it added up to the appropriate nutrients? That would be really cool if you did.

Maybe I will challenge my friend to only raw meat. I suppose I would have to freeze it small bite size chunks so I could get it past my gullet.

No. Again, I am making no claim to their veracity. I'm pretty sure the USDA has nutritional information for raw meat if you're interested. I am searching for the vitamin content for beef cooked at various temperatures. I haven't found that yet.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/450725-eskimo-diet-heart-disease/
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

No vegetable oil either? Why not? Seriously I do not understand this.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/450725-eskimo-diet-heart-disease/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/eskimo-myth_b_5268420.html
  • queenliz99
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

No vegetable oil either? Why not? Seriously I do not understand this.

It's not meat. It's from vegetables. I believe no coconut oil either. Nada. Just meat.

I think it needs to be fatty meat.