Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    @queenliz99 I think both, or either. I know rare beef still retains some vitamin content...at least that seems to be the common opinion.

But are you saying the vitamins and minerals that come from raw meat retains more vitamins than rare meat? I would need to know the daily breakdown of numbers of how eating it raw is so much superior to rare. Wouldn't there be a health issue like E. Coli too?

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    @queenliz99 I think both, or either. I know rare beef still retains some vitamin content...at least that seems to be the common opinion.

But are you saying the vitamins and minerals that come from raw meat retains more vitamins than rare meat? I would need to know the daily breakdown of numbers of how eating it raw is so much superior to rare. Wouldn't there be a health issue like E. Coli too?

That's kind of my question too. The understanding seems to be that heat destroys vitamins. So following that logic, one could deduce that raw meat would retain more vitamins than rare, but I haven't been able to find anything showing the difference.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound healthy or sustainable without lots of work going into what parts have which nutrients that you need. You'd have to eat lots of organ meats and possibly some raw too. And I don't want to know how your bathroom visits look if you eat like that.

I'm sure my no. 2 bathroom visits would be nil if I did it.
    Keep us postd if you take your 'friend's' challenge on. It's interesting and probably we'd all be eager to hear what it feels like to do this.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's a challenge: can anyone create a nutritionally balanced diary for a week of eating nothing but meat? Any kind of meat is acceptable. Eggs are not allowed. I'd love to see how that would be accomplished. I mean, if you can do it for a day, you can do it for a week, but it's probably easier to balance everything over a week's time.
    What is the consideration for nutritionally balanced?

It's open for interpretation, but for the sake of standards, how about the US RDAs?

ETA: For vitamins and minerals.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

E. Coli is something that mammals have - even humans. But since cow e. coli is rejected by humans (because it isn't the same), we shouldn't eat it. This would be just fine as long as they cut the carcass properly, but unfortunately it is pretty common for those processing carcasses to make a nick where they shouldn't. By cooking, we can correct for that mistake. In cases where the meat is a solid piece (like steak, but not hamburger), cooking the outside is enough to manage for e. coli.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's a challenge: can anyone create a nutritionally balanced diary for a week of eating nothing but meat? Any kind of meat is acceptable. Eggs are not allowed. I'd love to see how that would be accomplished. I mean, if you can do it for a day, you can do it for a week, but it's probably easier to balance everything over a week's time.

is drinking raw blood allowed as "meat"? I'm having trouble with some of the micros, but blood would help...

• Gamliela
    Options
    Parasites?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

is drinking raw blood allowed as "meat"? I'm having trouble with some of the micros, but blood would help...

giphy.gif

ETA: Changed my answer because blood's not meat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

You know that seems to be relatively simple solution that does not seem to be addressed in any of these blogs I've found.

I don't know that many people would, but I would think it would fit with the diet. Assuming the blood were raw, of course.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Would you survive for a month? Sure. I don't think you'd do too much damage in just a month. Is it "healthy"? I'd think not. We're omnivores, not carnivores. I think you'd be hard pressed just to get enough calcium, vitamin C, fiber, folate, etc. Although, I suppose you could take a bunch of supplements.

Not to mention the cost. Meat is expensive!

The real question is why? What's the point?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Would you survive for a month? Sure. I don't think you'd do too much damage in just a month. Is it "healthy"? I'd think not. We're omnivores, not carnivores. I think you'd be hard pressed just to get enough calcium, vitamin C, fiber, folate, etc. Although, I suppose you could take a bunch of supplements.

Not to mention the cost. Meat is expensive!

The real question is why? What's the point?

+1

I'm about as far from Vegan as a reasonable person can get. I love meat, but I can't imagine the monotony of an all meat diet. Even if I wanted to be extremely low carb, I'd want to have some vegetables in the mix to make an interesting meal. A juicy steak with a side of sausage and offal? No thanks..

The cost would also be ridiculous. Loading my basket full of ground beef chubs and nothing else would still be more than I'd like to budget for a silly challenge.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love meat, but I couldn't see eating it all the time. I don't think my wallet would like it either.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Raw meat. Parasites? Like, worms.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've known of folks who've done carnivore challenges. Some have loved them, and continued on. Some have hated them. I couldn't do it. I'm a veggie fiend.
    Is it unhealthy? In the grand scheme of diets it's not very balanced, but probably as nutrient balanced what many consume as their "regular" diet.

Well, going by people I know, this seems unlikely. Even the people who eat the least mindful, nutrition conscious diets eat some fruits and veg and a variety of macros. Probably too much in the way of sat fat and highly processed carbs and sugar, like most Americans (although I don't actually know anyone who consumes lots of sugary sodas -- wrong demographic, I guess). Anyway, I digress.

None of my business if people want to live on only meat, and I expect it is doable if you take some vitamins, although I doubt it's healthy and especially so if one doesn't make an effort to eat lots of organ meats and so on. (I also suspect it would be a problem for me in the bathroom, but a much bigger problem in that it would ruin eating for me. And I love meat.)

What I find interesting/puzzling is that this seems to get a pass from the people who are always complaining that MFP doesn't care enough about nutrition just because many of us favor flexible dieting and think you don't need to completely cut out favorite treats, even if they happen to be sugary or processed or "junk."
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Liz...you will be OK for a month, in my opinion. Many indigenous Arctic cultures survived and thrived for millennia on diets of primarily whale, seal and bear meat, and in winter, rotted fish, with a growing season of barely two months to provide any kind of vegetation. This is well-documented: Google "Indigenous Arctic diets".
    The real question is, "Will you lose any weight?".

This works because they ate very freshly killed meat, raw meat, and organ meats. Also, they did gather some plant foods.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Raw meat, parasites. Is that going to be a problem for you? What do you do about that if you have to eat fresh raw meat? I've always wondered about this with people who eat raw meat and fish.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Raw meat, parasites. Is that going to be a problem for you? What do you do about that if you have to eat fresh raw meat? I've always wondered about this with people who eat raw meat and fish.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the blog that is recommending letting raw meat go rancid before eating it...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Liz, if you want to do your FB friend one better, how about an all raw meat diet? http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/02/raw-meat-mono-diet-nutritionists-comment
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99 The thought of a meat challenge that wouldn't allow a meat lover's pizza gives me a sad. It would be bad for my mental health.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Liz...you will be OK for a month, in my opinion. Many indigenous Arctic cultures survived and thrived for millennia on diets of primarily whale, seal and bear meat, and in winter, rotted fish, with a growing season of barely two months to provide any kind of vegetation. This is well-documented: Google "Indigenous Arctic diets".
    The real question is, "Will you lose any weight?".

This works because they ate very freshly killed meat, raw meat, and organ meats. Also, they did gather some plant foods.

Not just that, in the case of whale, they also ate the contents of the entrails of the whales. This would potentially include vegetable matter, though in various states of decomposition.