Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Not good very unhealthy and lots of fat and disease causing food.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." The plague of diseases called "diseases of civilization" did not plague our ancestors. Accidents, infections, high child mortality, and food scarcity did though.

You might want to revisit the "fats are unhealthy" idea. I'd agree that Becel and most plant oils, which are in all our "healthy" low fat foods are definitely not healthy but humans have been eating, and showing preference for, animal fats for millions of years. You and I are here; proof is in our survival as a species. The future doesn't look so good though.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    hallycat wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have a friend on FaceBook that has challenged me to eat only meat for one month. This sounds horribly unhealthy.

ETA: and eat no vegetables.

Is there going to be a monetary payoff? Otherwise why would you take such an inane challenge

Because it's delicious, easy, and after a short period, most people who do it feel amazing.

It drives me crazy that people judge things that they have no experience with. Nor have done any research into peoples who do have experience... for millennia....
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    No it is not unhealthy. Research ancestral diets. And I've done it much longer than a month but there are things in our society that make it a very hard lifestyle to maintain. I've been back at it (with the exception of a bit of coconut oil) for over two weeks and I'm finally getting back to feeling awesome. My child is half Inuit so it's an appropriate diet for her. Her health has been badly damaged by plant foods, including vegetables and fruits. I am not Inuit but am still at my healthiest on an all animal food diet.

I'm not here to suggest anyone else should do it, but there's ample evidence to establish that it is not only safe, but ideal for some people. So accept that maybe it's not for you, but that it's an option for those who choose it.

PS. After reading a few of the comments there is much ignorance. If you haven't tried it, you don't know. It would be lovely to remember that when commenting. For instance: there is NO flatulence and NO "bathroom stench" after one has adapted to the WOE; it's plant foods that cause that and many other very uncomfortable, but now considered "normal", digestive problems.

Please share the ample evidence. You've discussed how much ignorance there is in this thread, so inform people then.

Ignorance is when people judge something strongly that they have no experience with. I've already shared my experience. My own experience is anecdotal. Many people will call the survival of the Inuit on such a diet as "anecdotal".

Either try it, or don't. But spare the judgments when experience is lacking. I pointed out one example of the ignorance versus reality but nothing will convince anyone else who has a strong belief for or against something regardless of existing evidence or lack of experience.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'd be double checking on the health of my kidneys before trying it. And after.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'd be double checking on the health of my kidneys before trying it. And after.

I have, my blood tests came back normal last month. I get complete blood tests twice a year.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The low carber forums have posted at least 2 of these, a bacon challenge and ground beef challenge. When the before and after numbers were compared, there did seem to be a health benefit. Although I would say those would be more from the weight lost, since I assume these people were already on a ketogenic diet beforehand.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You don't look your age. Not even close. But you don't have the kidneys of a 20 year old, even if nothing is showing up on your blood tests. Are you actually considering doing this?

"Kidney function naturally declines with age due to the gradual loss of nephrons (filters) in the kidney. Therefore, a 90-year-old cannot safely consume the same amount of protein as a 20-year-old."

Wikipedia, but still...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No it is not unhealthy. Research ancestral diets. And I've done it much longer than a month but there are things in our society that make it a very hard lifestyle to maintain. I've been back at it (with the exception of a bit of coconut oil) for over two weeks and I'm finally getting back to feeling awesome. My child is half Inuit so it's an appropriate diet for her. Her health has been badly damaged by plant foods, including vegetables and fruits. I am not Inuit but am still at my healthiest on an all animal food diet.

I'm not here to suggest anyone else should do it, but there's ample evidence to establish that it is not only safe, but ideal for some people. So accept that maybe it's not for you, but that it's an option for those who choose it.

PS. After reading a few of the comments there is much ignorance. If you haven't tried it, you don't know. It would be lovely to remember that when commenting. For instance: there is NO flatulence and NO "bathroom stench" after one has adapted to the WOE; it's plant foods that cause that and many other very uncomfortable, but now considered "normal", digestive problems.

I'm confused because your diary doesn't reflect an "all meat" diet. I'm not sure where the disconnect is between us, but we're talking about only consuming the flesh or organ meat of an animal for a "meat only" diet, right? No butter, eggs, cream, or other byproducts?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/450725-eskimo-diet-heart-disease/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/eskimo-myth_b_5268420.html

I'm just quoting because not everyone saw this.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?

Huff post articles aren't generally very well received around here.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Huff post articles aren't generally very well received around here.

Maybe actually read the studies linked in the article....
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Literally my *kitten* don't stink claims.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I can't believe their are people who never eat raw meat. Thinly sliced beef with a raw egg on top (I had in Korea, can't recall the name) or kitfo (no citrus, but hella spices) is like heaven. Now I want kitfo again. QQ
    The funny thing is that I'm almost never intentionally had meat that was even close to being raw.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I can't believe their are people who never eat raw meat. Thinly sliced beef with a raw egg on top (I had in Korea, can't recall the name) or kitfo (no citrus, but hella spices) is like heaven. Now I want kitfo again. QQ
    The funny thing is that I'm almost never intentionally had meat that was even close to being raw.

No sushi, no oysters on the half shell or poke? Wow!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not good very unhealthy and lots of fat and disease causing food.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." The plague of diseases called "diseases of civilization" did not plague our ancestors. Accidents, infections, high child mortality, and food scarcity did though.

You might want to revisit the "fats are unhealthy" idea. I'd agree that Becel and most plant oils, which are in all our "healthy" low fat foods are definitely not healthy but humans have been eating, and showing preference for, animal fats for millions of years. You and I are here; proof is in our survival as a species. The future doesn't look so good though.

Actually, for those that lived into old age, newer forensic techniques are showing that our ancestors also had the disease of civilization. Being active helped prevent and slow some of it, but they not only had all the dreadful diseases we've eliminated or drastically reduced, a long life could see them have arthritis, gout, kidney stones, heart disease, stroke. All with worse chance of survival.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/31/the-surprising-thing-ancient-mummies-tell-us-about-what-to-eat/

But hey, admittedly, made up history is so much more romantic and idealistic.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    hallycat wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have a friend on FaceBook that has challenged me to eat only meat for one month. This sounds horribly unhealthy.

ETA: and eat no vegetables.

Is there going to be a monetary payoff? Otherwise why would you take such an inane challenge

Because it's delicious, easy, and after a short period, most people who do it feel amazing.

It drives me crazy that people judge things that they have no experience with. Nor have done any research into peoples who do have experience... for millennia....

Just curious, but how much is your weekly grocery bill? And how does it compare to what you were doing before?

Also, you mentioned that plant material can lead to more gastrointestinal distress than meat. I would think that switch your diet from whatever someone's "normal" is to something else would cause distress. It wouldn't matter if it's going from plant based to meat or may based to plant.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, sushi-grade fish is frozen first in order to kill any nastiness. As to raw beef.....ew
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    This is no different then the other fad type of challenges around.
    Every week there's a new one that goes around like " go paleo for a month " or " eat only eggs for a week and lose weight " or " green smoothie 30 day challenge"
    Some people will blindly follow anything.

I'll continue to eat a well balanced diet that meets all my macros and micros.