Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• hallycat
    hallycat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have a friend on FaceBook that has challenged me to eat only meat for one month. This sounds horribly unhealthy.

ETA: and eat no vegetables.

Is there going to be a monetary payoff? Otherwise why would you take such an inane challenge
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Every once in awhile, I'll watch Living Below Zero. I don't know how much happens that is not shown, but there is one guy that lives way out in the wilderness in Alaska and eats pretty much just wild game. I don't watch enough to be clear if he is able to plant any fruits or vegetables or scavenge for them. But it is clear that he is eating pretty much just wild game (if not exclusively). He gets fish, caribou, moose, and some smaller game too. There was even an episode where he made a gelatin out of some connective tissues or hooves or something (I don't remember exactly).

I would think that anyone without health issues preventing it should be able to survive off of meat.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I wondered if your FB Friend did this? Ate only meat for a solid month? Seems like only meat would give a person (who is used to eating from all the food groups) a rather wicked headache for too many days.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i couldnt do it, just sounds really boring and i love meat.
  • speerickson
    speerickson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can you? Yes
    Is it the most healthy and optimal? No
    Variety within food choice is always good to help get various nutrients and vitamins.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    But the problem I have with eating only meat is where do people get their necessary vitamins and minerals? What about fiber? That is a ***** load of saturated fats. Your omegas would be whacked out.

My understanding is that most of that would come from eating meat rare. My question is: How much of a drop off in vitamin content is there from rare to say medium?
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm......meatshakes.

I love me some meat, but dang, I would rather go Vegan.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Not good very unhealthy and lots of fat and disease causing food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    But the problem I have with eating only meat is where do people get their necessary vitamins and minerals? What about fiber? That is a ***** load of saturated fats. Your omegas would be whacked out.

My understanding is that most of that would come from eating meat rare. My question is: How much of a drop off in vitamin content is there from rare to say medium?

Rare or raw?
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Liz...you will be OK for a month, in my opinion. Many indigenous Arctic cultures survived and thrived for millennia on diets of primarily whale, seal and bear meat, and in winter, rotted fish, with a growing season of barely two months to provide any kind of vegetation. This is well-documented: Google "Indigenous Arctic diets".
    The real question is, "Will you lose any weight?".
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Liz...you will be OK for a month, in my opinion. Many indigenous Arctic cultures survived and thrived for millennia on diets of primarily whale, seal and bear meat, and in winter, rotted fish, with a growing season of barely two months to provide any kind of vegetation. This is well-documented: Google "Indigenous Arctic diets".
    The real question is, "Will you lose any weight?".

The last bit jiggly? I'm not sure. That is what my friend hopes for.
  • moe0303
    Options
    @queenliz99 I think both, or either. I know rare beef still retains some vitamin content...at least that seems to be the common opinion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom eating one meal a day with only one thing on the menu each, every day. Even if it IS a nice cut of beef, with no spices or even salt I'd rather kill myself quickly than slowly like this.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on FaceBook that has challenged me to eat only meat for one month. This sounds horribly unhealthy.

You are Facebook friends with Ron Swanson?
    p57kpxzcv2p6.jpg
  • queenliz99
    Options
    richln wrote: »

You are Facebook friends with Ron Swanson?
    p57kpxzcv2p6.jpg

Why yes!!
  • moe0303
    Options
    A related challenge though a bit more restrictive: http://ketogasm.com/the-bacon-experiment-interview/
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you're going for some nutrition in there, I hope you like organ meat...

Liver and kidney are quite nutritious

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Here's a challenge: can anyone create a nutritionally balanced diary for a week of eating nothing but meat? Any kind of meat is acceptable. Eggs are not allowed. I'd love to see how that would be accomplished. I mean, if you can do it for a day, you can do it for a week, but it's probably easier to balance everything over a week's time.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why carbs are considered the devil.

Consumption of animals products is irrefutably linked to increased cancer risks and mortality, to eat nothing but meat for a month seems quite silly.
  • moe0303
    Options
    Here's a challenge: can anyone create a nutritionally balanced diary for a week of eating nothing but meat? Any kind of meat is acceptable. Eggs are not allowed. I'd love to see how that would be accomplished. I mean, if you can do it for a day, you can do it for a week, but it's probably easier to balance everything over a week's time.
    What is the consideration for nutritionally balanced?