Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    People keep saying this diet isn't that much different than vegetarians or vegans, but many who follow that lifestyle are doing it for ethical reasons. Are the meat only eaters doing this to protect the plants?

Not really, their food eats the plants for them.

Perhaps people do this because they can, and need no other reason.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    People keep saying this diet isn't that much different than vegetarians or vegans, but many who follow that lifestyle are doing it for ethical reasons. Are the meat only eaters doing this to protect the plants?

Perhaps people do this because they can, and need no other reason

That sounds like the logic of my 4 year old.

I like to think that grown adults have solid, well thought reasons for their choices and actions and could articulate those reasons when asked about the motivation behind a decision such as this.

But if you subscribe to the shoulder shrug, "I do what I want because I can" philosophy of rationale then maybe I will send my four year old over and you can talk to him about why he insists on wearing the red sleeveless shirt and no jacket even though it's only 36 degrees outside today.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    "Because I can" thinking has been involved in my binging on sugary treats. Not a fan. I also think an all meat diet, like the Twinkie diet, may be doable but is in no way worth the increased risk. @nvmomketo I hope you think better of this. Is entertaining the troops here really worth it?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

No vegetable oil either? Why not? Seriously I do not understand this.

"Vegetable oil". Hmm. Look at a vegetable. Where's the oil ? What's the nutrient in "vegetable oil" that's essential to life that isn't in meat ?

Mankind probably got here without seeing industrially extracted oils for most of the journey.

Not that I think you need vegetable oil, but have you seen an olive or an avocado?

I have indeed seen those fruits In shops, yes. The oil doesn't exactly pour out of them, does it, and they're fruits not vegetables.

But would you call avocado oil a vegetable oil, or a fruit oil?
  • yarwell
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I still don't understand why any rational person would want to do this....a diet of meat and only meat. No vegetables. No vegetable oil. Just meat with meat and then a side of meat? No thank you.

"Vegetable oil". Hmm. Look at a vegetable. Where's the oil ? What's the nutrient in "vegetable oil" that's essential to life that isn't in meat ?

Mankind probably got here without seeing industrially extracted oils for most of the journey.

Not that I think you need vegetable oil, but have you seen an olive or an avocado?

I have indeed seen those fruits In shops, yes. The oil doesn't exactly pour out of them, does it, and they're fruits not vegetables.

an edible oil ?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

an edible oil ?

I'm sorry, write ins are not allowed on the test.
  • yarwell
    Options
    you didn't specify it was multiple choice. I would probably have preferred "industrial seed oil" until I discovered it's extracted from the dried flesh of the fruit, but I'll go with "vegetable oil" as this is the general heading under which it would fall (as opposed to mineral oil) and fruit oils are considered as vegetable oils.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    And to recap, winogelato asked why no vegetable oils. You went on about industrial seed oils and acted incredulous that oil could come from a vegetable. Someone said that there's oil in avocados and olives (both high fat, both common sources of popular oils), and you then suggested they were fruit (culinarily that's not the case -- the culinary and botanical definitions are often different) and made some comment about oil not pouring out of them.

The ultimate is whether avocado oil and olive oil are bad for us (although you seem to have changed the discussion to whether they are ultra processed (industrial seed[?] oils). Cold-pressed EVOO and EVAO (wonder if Rachael Ray will pick that one up!) is not normally considered "ultra processed" products, but of course I have long asserted that all these terms seem confusing and useless). And of course the cold-pressed EV versions are the ones usually touted for their taste.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I Love meat, but why would you only eat it. A good balanced diet is much better all the way around. Eat things you like and can do over the long term.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    "Because I can" thinking has been involved in my binging on sugary treats. Not a fan. I also think an all meat diet, like the Twinkie diet, may be doable but is in no way worth the increased risk. @nvmomketo I hope you think better of this. Is entertaining the troops here really worth it?

I've actually been easing into this for about a week already. It was planned before this thread was ever posted.

There won't be much entertainment value in it for others. It would be less exciting than watching people fast for entertainment like they did two hundred years ago. I plan on eating well, and quitting if it is no fun or it doesn't agree with me. I imagine it will be challenging the first few days but a dietary change usually is.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Can't do it, I'm a loser ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Awww, I love some meat, but it's not something I could do either. You are certainly not a loser :kissing_heart:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

But you can have meat-lover's pizza, therefore you win.
  • yarwell
    Options

Perhaps people do this because they can, and need no other reason

That sounds like the logic of my 4 year old.

I like to think that grown adults have solid, well thought reasons for their choices and actions and could articulate those reasons when asked about the motivation behind a decision such as this.

But if you subscribe to the shoulder shrug, "I do what I want because I can" philosophy of rationale then maybe I will send my four year old over and you can talk to him about why he insists on wearing the red sleeveless shirt and no jacket even though it's only 36 degrees outside today.

People climb mountains and jump off ledges or leap out of perfectly sound aeroplanes because they can, I see no need to belittle their choices.

Let the lad find out for himself, if that's a Fahrenheit temperature he'll be back in soon enough.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You sure can, my co-worker has twice and lost weight aaaaand that's all I am going to say on here. :|
  • yarwell
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    And to recap, winogelato asked why no vegetable oils.

Yes, a particularly weird question. Why is there no vegetable oil in a meat only diet. Now let me think.

Up here at 52 N olive oil was until recently something you got from the chemist to put in your ears. Meat fats met all the culinary requirements of the day in the pre obesity period.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You're not missing out on anything.
    By design I guess because you'd cut out almost everything out of your diet if you did.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you decide not to try, or did you try and decided you didn't want to continue? No judgment either way, just curious about your experience if you tried.