April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning since it is relatively local, I'm going to try the course and see what my time would be for 7 km, I think I'm going to pass on the 16 km, since I'll be reaching those distances then but not on that type of terrain. So I'll decide this week if I can meet a 1hr at that distance/elevation. From prior years, cut off seems to be around 1:10 or so. I'm a little less afraid of not meeting time than pushing myself and busting a calf. My mobility and flexibility isn't ideal. Need to work on that.

@ariceroni - congrats! Impressive time!

@AdrianChr92 congrats on the 10k!

Congrats to the others on their races and PRs for the weekend!

• Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Goal of 25 miles
    4/1 Rest
    4/2 Swim day
    4/3 2.7
    exercise.png
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I can not find the post earlier that mentioned our march group had over 2500 posts.

I got to thinking how many miles we must have had as a group? So I did a little math, I did not get everyone (girl math- did use excel) but tried to get as much data as I could easily. Used Strava on some.

Between ~55 random people (easy data pickin's), we accumulated 4807 miles. An average of 87 miles per person, 155 miles per day. The actual number is greater than that.

I wonder if there is a way on Strava to see the miles logged by our group. I couldn't figure it out, usually on mobile and on a mission.

It was amazing seeing everyone's miles. Usually, I don't mind everyone's miles- its a personal challenge -respect- and I know 5 miles can seem as difficult as 100 miles. Actually- 100 miles a month is WAY EASIER than the 30 I started with my first month.

So for all of you that missed a pat on the back and a high five- I am inspired, and very grateful for each step you took last month. I know we tend to have smaller circles of folks we each follow, and I miss all the great MILEstones. Just seriously- Ya'll rock!

Wow this is amazing!! We certainly are a hard working bunch of crazy runners! I am also inspired by everyone here and I don't believe I've met a more supportive or knowledgeable group before.
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think I'm becoming an addict. It's only been 6 hours and I'm already dreading tomorrow's rest day...I'm resisting the urge to go get junk miles in.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!
    Apr 03      6.2      6.2  Cohasset 10K, PR and 19th in my age group!

exercise.png

Race was not cancelled, and although lots of melting snow and ice, not too cold and lots of sunshine, and a well-organized race. For the first time ever I looked up at the starting line to see a Drone they'd hired to take the photos of the start! The first three miles of the race is along the Atlantic coast and was beautiful with lots of big waves crashing, although we also had 20-30 mile wind gusts in our faces the whole way which was less than ideal. If you look on the Strava map you then see a long straight 1.5 miles that is ACTUALLY an Endurance Trial of 37,000 rolling hills ... misery. And yet I finished with a PR and 19th in my age group. I'll score this one a win!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nice job @vandinem !
  • onesmallchoice
    onesmallchoice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, looking at the math on miles in this group, I'm definitely dragging down your average! Thanks for being open and available to newbies, you all are excellent inspiration (I just need to find the time to keep up with this thread!).

4/1-rest
    4/2-2 miles
    4/3-2 miles (first back to back runs in about two months after back injury!)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    4/2 5.16 miles. For some reason my heart rate cannot seem to handle the temperature to be over 40 degrees. It was 55 degrees out when I started my run today and my heart rate that usually goes up to around 170 within my first mile went up to 182. Blah!

I have never done any speed work before so I have a question if that is ok. The plan I am using right now has me doing fast striders starting in a few weeks. I have looked up what those are but want to make sure I know what I am supposed to be doing. So, can anyone tell me what fast striders are, please?

exercise.png

Here are a couple video explanations on what strides are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9gLXAD-WQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZS646X44M

Then you have what are called bursts or surges.
    Many people confuse the 2 terms above with "strides". Just like this article which uses "striders" in the same context as bursts & surges.

https://runuphillracing.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/how-to-run-fast/

Surges or bursts are inserted during your easy run as opposed to strides which are done after your easy run. Surges are usually done at 5K pace (but sometimes faster) and instead of stopping to rest, you return to your easy pace run to recover, then pick it back up again.

http://running.competitor.com/2015/05/training/the-two-best-speed-workouts-for-new-runners_127961/2

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Wow, looking at the math on miles in this group, I'm definitely dragging down your average! Thanks for being open and available to newbies, you all are excellent inspiration (I just need to find the time to keep up with this thread!).

4/1-rest
    4/2-2 miles
    4/3-2 miles (first back to back runs in about two months after back injury!)
    I've learned, just don't compare yourself to @kristinegift @Stoshew71 or @MobyCarp and it gets easier to feel good about distances.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---rest
    2---6.79 10:25 avg pace
    3---7.38 warm windy run.

14.17/130 miles

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  508.51/ 2016
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @kgj4105 great long run!
    @elise4270 I'm going to use the word "rungries"
    @9voice9 "ministerial count" LOL love it! Great on the 10.5K what a shame on the 5K
    @ariceroni your run does sound miserable

I'm running in a 5K later this afternoon with a friend, she's not a runner really so I doubt I'll be under 30 min. Skip was supposed to run, was even going to wear a super hero outfit, something she never does in a race. But we spent 5 hours in the ER yesterday. Everyone from the March challenge already know she has been sick. Even though she threw up in the morning she wanted to go to her meet. She took one slow lap around the track and went to the bathroom and got sick again. Her coach gave her some crackers and a Gatorade and they promptly came back up. We headed to our local ER, about 45 mins from the track and poor girl I had to pull over twice. Anything that went in come right back out. The gave her 2 bags of IV fluids, took a ton of blood and gave her 3 doses of anti nauseous meds. Verdict severe dehydration, she's anemic and her liver enzymes were high. He said the enzymes were most likely caused by the dehydration. I said she takes iron pills, eats veggies, what else can I do, she said "oh I don't take them on days I run" (which is 6 out 7 days UGH!). He told start taking them EVERY day. At first he said no running until next weekend, then asked if she had any big meets coming up, when I told him about Mon and Tues meets he said definitely no 5K today no running Mon and she can run the 800 ONLY on Tuesday if she doesn't get sick again and drinks everything I give her. I felt so bad and the doctor said when they have no fever and seem fine (except when they are throwing up duh), you just don't realize they are really that sick. He said I'm looking at her and talking to her and if I didn't know she had a stomach bug I would never know she was feeling bad. She lost 3 lbs since Thursday :-( Anyway, that was our day yesterday.

So sorry for Skip. At least you all know better now and have a plan forward.
    Jennifer was supposed to do the Super Heroes 5K today but bailed out this morning and told me after church. She just hasn't been running much and if she couldn't do good, then she doesn't want to run it.

So instead of going there and I am back home and going through the thread. When I am done, I will come up with a race report from yesterday.

• Stoshew71
    edited April 2016
    Options

put this tag (without the dot in front before the h t t p://tickers-> [.img]
    and put this tag at the end just after the .png (again without the dot)-> [.\img]

So it would look like:
    [.img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wuPE9Zg/exercise.png[.\img]

Or without the dots:

exercise.png[\img]
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Only have to code todays run for this week then will update weekly, I am sure, that is probably easier for you?? then i can code next Sunday...luck willing I will be adding 3 runs....

just like adding this little ticker lol...ok

1/4 Rest day
    2/4 3hrs 30mins riding motorbike
    3/4 = 5km run (4.5km in 33.30mins/km)

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!

What a day! First of all, the half marathon went really well. I think a lot of people skipped the race because of the weather (600-700 finishers, usually there are 1500-1800!), but the weather wasn't as scary as it could have been. 38-40 degrees, bright sunshine, 25-35 mph winds, with a few gusts up to 50 mph. The sun helped a lot; a gray, blustery day would have been more of an energy suck mentally.

I'll make a whole blog post about the race in detail but here are the highlights!
    New PR: 1:40:13
    2nd place in 25-29 women age group.
    My running buddy nabbed a 6.5 minute PR and ran a 1:47:30 which exceeded her expectations (1:50) and mine (1:48)! I was more jazzed about her time than my own, I think.

I've got a lot of confidence going into NJ marathon now after this race. Today was a challenging course with ~3 miles of continuous uphill, and much of that was with a head or cross wind. NJM is very flat, so I'll have that advantage. I took a cutback this week to run on relatively fresh legs, and I could really feel it: the first five miles I paced 7:15-7:20, and it felt so easy! With the long taper for my marathon, I should feel really fresh and ready to go on race day. That sub-3:30 is looking ever more enticing... :)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I use the spatone iron water. Something like that might help Skip take it everyday, if the higher dose iron is causing GI issues where she doesn't like taking it. So far I've never had issues with it.

Hope shes 100% soon.

I had elevated liver enzymes, specifically the ALT, when my gallbladder quit working. But no vomiting.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Way to go @vandinem!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 congrats on the 10k and I find it hard sometimes to wear the right thing since I tend to overdress a lot as well. I just hate being chilly first thing. But the perfect running weather (especially for a race) starts chilly.
    Elise4270 wrote: »

It was amazing seeing everyone's miles. Usually, I don't mind everyone's miles- its a personal challenge -respect- and I know 5 miles can seem as difficult as 100 miles. Actually- 100 miles a month is WAY EASIER than the 30 I started with my first month.

So for all of you that missed a pat on the back and a high five- I am inspired, and very grateful for each step you took last month. I know we tend to have smaller circles of folks we each follow, and I miss all the great MILEstones. Just seriously- Ya'll rock!

I also echo these 2 things. Running 60 miles in a week for me is much easier than what I used to do when I first started. Serious, my first bit of outdoor running for my current stage of life was in early November 2013 (after spending too much time on the treadmill). I went out on the greenway one Saturday morning and did a 5K's worth. I then remember the following weekend and did a 5k. Stopped for 15 minutes and then did it again. My mistake was stopping cause my muscles were fine, but tightened up after I stopped. They got loosed up again within the first 1/2 mile of starting back up again, but I never stopped again (unless potty breaks or tying my shoe). I hate stopping in the middle of a run once I get going. I even curse a little when I notice my shoe lace getting undone while I am in a middle of a good pace.

Anyway, I wanted to say, stick with it. Don't get discouraged by some of us that put in big mileage. We all started were you are now. And sorry if I skip over people, especially the newbies. I am happy for everyone that joins in and I am here to help in any way.
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun, I will aim for 100 miles and hopefully do more. I will use my Nike app to keep track. Good luck everyone