April 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Date Miles Total
    1/4. Rest. 0
    2/4. Rest. 0

3/4. 3.7. 3.7

A really good start to the month, I even ran up the really steep hill near my house :)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Bit late to the party but hope I can still join. I was running 5k twice a week and really enjoying my running time nowhere near as many miles as many of you but worked for me, though I was starting to up it a bit as have a 10k in august and want to beat last years time of 59:01. However at the start of March I got pneumonia, I have been totally wiped out for weeks. Yesterday I had my first visit to the gym in a month and managed some gentle cycling and a tried a 6.5km jog, I managed 0.75k before I was coughing away (infection is cleared but I still need to use inhalers at times). So April for me is about just building distance up again. If I make 25k I'll be happy, need to get my confidence, and lungs back!
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    1/4....5k
    3/4....6k

Running Thoughts:
    My first morning run in 16months, it did not go well. Meant to do 10k slow but did the 2km (which is all uphill) quicker than for a normal 5k. Tried to slow but by 5.5km I was exhausted and had enough. So 2days in and I'm already 4km down on target.

Still , it's a beautiful day, England in a world cup final later and the kids want to go on tomorrow's run.

@4leighbee don't worry, we all got the gist :)

goals
    1. 18 runs.............................2
    2. 115km total......................11k
    3. 4 runs a week
    4. quickest 5km of 2016
    5. quickest 10km of 2016
    6. 11 km long run

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Bit late to the party but hope I can still join. I was running 5k twice a week and really enjoying my running time nowhere near as many miles as many of you but worked for me, though I was starting to up it a bit as have a 10k in august and want to beat last years time of 59:01. However at the start of March I got pneumonia, I have been totally wiped out for weeks. Yesterday I had my first visit to the gym in a month and managed some gentle cycling and a tried a 6.5km jog, I managed 0.75k before I was coughing away (infection is cleared but I still need to use inhalers at times). So April for me is about just building distance up again. If I make 25k I'll be happy, need to get my confidence, and lungs back!

@samthepanda Good luck with your recovery! Your last year's PB was good! I'm aiming for a sub-1hr 10K myself.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    April 2016

2/4 - 5.64k
    3/4 6k

11.64/75

It was raining for my run this morning - standard Scottish weather. Did I wear the new rain jacket I bought last weekend? No, of course not :neutral: Managed to avoid puddles and keep my feet dry so had a good run overall.

exercise.png
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    In for 50 miles this month

1/4: 3.2 Miles

exercise.png
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    @MobyCarp Thanks for the explanation and article about Striders!
  • Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    I've signed up to run a half marathon May 8th.
    April 1st I ran 7.5km very slow and sore (running day after total body workout). It was also my First outdoor run of the year and it was -2'C. So my goal is to work up to an 18-20km distance one time before May 6th!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    4/1- Rest
    4/2- 6.23
    4/3- 4.0

10.23/60

Morning run was a recovery run, and a good thing, My left knee started feeling twingey again halfway through. Rest day tomorrow, so I'm hoping, like before, the knee will be good to go after a full48 hours of rest.
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member

exercise.png

• kcostner122312
    kcostner122312 Posts: 9 Member
    Last month was hard on me for some reason. Goal is 50 miles again. I have a half on the 23rd. Set out to run 10 yesterday and ran 13. Did I mention I hate hills?
    exercise.png
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    1/4: 3.2 Miles
    3/4: 7.0 Miles

exercise.png
  • Bawlerb
    Bawlerb Posts: 33 Member
    April 1st 7.5km
    Goal May 8th: 22.1km
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    So, today was my first half marathon in over 18 months and I smashed it! Ended up with a time of 2:04:35, which takes just under 8 minutes off my previous PB!

I think I paced it about right, I could have gone a bit faster maybe but I don't think it was worth pushing, as I didn't really know what I was capable of. It was such a nice race too, everyone was chatting along the way and the weather was gorgeous :smiley: Happy, happy, happy!

Monthly miles to date:

3rd April - 13.1 miles - Half PB 2:04:35!!!

MTD - 13.1/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • loranstutenberg
    loranstutenberg Posts: 1 Member
    This is my first time running in a 10 years. I am going to see how this goes but my goal is 16 miles.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Race report for my first race. (10k)

It was quite chilly and I thought my choice for attire of tshirt and long pants will get me freezing. Oh boy was I wrong. Halfway I was sweating and became a human radiator and it was clear that my choice of long pants wasn't really an inspired one. Apparently race =/= training run in terms of hype and heat. I set a goal of 52 minutes but that didn't go as expected so I'll break it now in parts:

Km 1 : This is great I feel so fresh. I just went with the flow and my watched indicated 4:34 min/km. That's a little too fast. Gotta contain the fast
    Km 2-5: Ok fast is getting somewhat contained, running with a 4: 55 steadily. Doesn't help that the course is slightly uphill though. Feeling great.
    Km 6: Realize I have a shot at under 50 minutes. Speed up to 4:40. 4:30 begins to burn so I'm pretty sure this is my threshold pace now. Make plan to speed up for the last 2 km
    Km 7: I'm better trained that I expected, pass up a lot of people. I remember I read here or somewhere that I should reel on someone in front of me and pull them in. I do that and it works great. Those people probably went too fast
    Km 8: Forget speeding up now, I'll do that in the last one. Scraping that threshold real hard now
    Km 9: Disaster. Massive winds straight from ahead. Change of tactics, struggle to keep my 4:40 pace. It doesn't work wind is blowing real hard, people slow down a lot. I start swinging my arms like crazy and it seems too work. Lean a lot forward too. Pass finish line, congratulate the guy who I was fighting the last 3 km and get my medal. He did beat me on the last sprint though

Official time 48:37, 188/1080 placement, 16/64 age group. Great success. But I was pretty sure there were a lot more than 188 people ahead of me. I must have passed quite a few.
    yl2e2wsm0hcq.jpg

vpvp1t87jjk3.jpg

Date.......Distance...Pace (min/km).........................Sarcastic tips from someone who ran since December
    April 1 - 3 km...........(7:30)..................................Your cotton shirts will do just fine. Your nipples won't bleed
    April 2 - rest
    April 3 - 10 km.........(4:51).................................Go fast first miles in a race, you won't bonk near the end

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run (registered) 48:37, 188/1010
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest (registered)
    15/05: Bucharest Half Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @kgj4105 great long run!
    @elise4270 I'm going to use the word "rungries"
    @9voice9 "ministerial count" LOL love it! Great on the 10.5K what a shame on the 5K
    @ariceroni your run does sound miserable

I'm running in a 5K later this afternoon with a friend, she's not a runner really so I doubt I'll be under 30 min. Skip was supposed to run, was even going to wear a super hero outfit, something she never does in a race. But we spent 5 hours in the ER yesterday. Everyone from the March challenge already know she has been sick. Even though she threw up in the morning she wanted to go to her meet. She took one slow lap around the track and went to the bathroom and got sick again. Her coach gave her some crackers and a Gatorade and they promptly came back up. We headed to our local ER, about 45 mins from the track and poor girl I had to pull over twice. Anything that went in come right back out. The gave her 2 bags of IV fluids, took a ton of blood and gave her 3 doses of anti nauseous meds. Verdict severe dehydration, she's anemic and her liver enzymes were high. He said the enzymes were most likely caused by the dehydration. I said she takes iron pills, eats veggies, what else can I do, she said "oh I don't take them on days I run" (which is 6 out 7 days UGH!). He told start taking them EVERY day. At first he said no running until next weekend, then asked if she had any big meets coming up, when I told him about Mon and Tues meets he said definitely no 5K today no running Mon and she can run the 800 ONLY on Tuesday if she doesn't get sick again and drinks everything I give her. I felt so bad and the doctor said when they have no fever and seem fine (except when they are throwing up duh), you just don't realize they are really that sick. He said I'm looking at her and talking to her and if I didn't know she had a stomach bug I would never know she was feeling bad. She lost 3 lbs since Thursday :-( Anyway, that was our day yesterday.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    This group is getting out of hand ... 8 pages of postings already and I haven't even logged my first run for the month yet!
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!

exercise.png

In for 80 again. The initial run is scheduled for today's Cohasset Road Race by the Sea (10K) at 1PM. Because it IS New England, we had Snow and Ice over night and howling winds gusting to 40mph. The Walk at 10AM was cancelled, but they say the Run is still happening. I've done this race when it was Sunny and 75 degrees, so you just never know.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    @louubelle16 super time! Congratulations on that PR!

@AdrianChr92 48 minute 10k! I'm in awe! Congratulations! Your a Rock star!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am in for 120... was thinking about chasing @Elise4270 too but I am going to try to not over do it :)
    Lots going on the next few months and a busy work schedule looming on the near horizon. I may have to change when/where I run but I will get it in!!

Wow! I'm flattered! One thing I've learned from these challenges, is gauging today for tomorrow's run. Smart training makes a difference.