4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Sorry, I have 3+ pages to go through and probably won't get to them until later on today. Yesterday's HM was amazing and I would love to tell you more about it. I was just too tired yesterday and busy up in Lynchburg, TN to make it back in here. I tried keeping up on social media on my phone all day yesterday the best I could.

Looking forward to next Sunday and my feature HM until the end of the year when I go for a BQ.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 congrats on your PB!!
    @AdrianChr92 sounds rough but you still did an amazing job!!

I've been wondering why my MCL has been hurting since yesterday. Well I woke up to this today and it all made sense. What's great is we've had weather in the 60's (F) for the past week. Luckily it's all melting quickly.
    irifapp19rb8.jpeg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Now to catch up with 58 posts since I last checked in yesterday. :smile:

5 miles at an easy pace today, which was slower than usual after yesterday's long run of course. While immediately after yesterdays long run my legs felt like they were going to give me grief, they recovered remarkably well yesterday and todays run did not feel al that particularly tight compared to many in the past. I think I might be nailing down a good recovery routine for myself perhaps.

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles

19/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    1.4 - rest
    2.4 - hike out to Frankenstein (missed cycling)
    3.4 - 13.4 km - 5 super slow, 7 hills and stuff (new shoes!)

total 13.4 km April goal 140 km
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @dennie24 - I'd never heard the term "strider," so I had to do a search. Turns out it's the same thing I know as a "stride." This article from runner's world hits most of the same points my coach did in explaining them. You start out slow and accelerate to R pace (about as fast as you can run a mile, slower than an all out sprint) while concentrating on good form. A piece of the sound track from my coach that isn't in the article is, pick one aspect of form to concentrate on. Maybe today you just concentrate on upright posture. Maybe next time you do strides you concentrate on good foot strike. It's hard to think about all aspects of good form at the same time in real time, so pick some aspect that you need work on, and work on it. When that improves, pick another aspect to work on.

On a track, we have been told to do 50m, 100m, or 200m strides that each have slightly different training purposes. On the road, sometimes we do 50m uphill strides. Some workouts just say "easy plus 4 strides," leaving it up to me to define the distance and terrain of the stride. For those, I typically stride the distance between fire hydrants on my street (guessing between 150m and 200m) because I'm close to home when I'm done and the fire hydrants are convenient markers that let me know I'm striding a consistent distance. When the club is doing strides, either it's on a track with known distances, or we use cross country marking cones for start and end.

Thank you for your response and the article, MobyCarp! That was really helpful.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Off to a good start!

4/1 - Group Power (cross training)
    4/2 - 8 miles
    4/3 - Rest
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I recently read a book that suggested practicing falling. Basically purposefully make yourself fall while running to practice landing, rolling, whatever. Seemed like an interesting idea. Hope you solve the rungries issue!

@9voice9 - So the ministerial count thing...is that a standard multiplier, or is it something like counting heads on a moving crowd and some heads are counted more than once?:smile:

@juliet3455 - That sounds like a great 10k route!

@MNLittleFinn - Save that route!! Treasure it even!! You have found the magical route I have been seeking! But all I have found so far are uphill only routes.

@louubelle16 - I do find it funny because I tend to suddenly develop the most mysterious, unexpected and severe feeling injuries the day before a race which always turn out to be nothing or disappear on race day. Oh, and I see you posted your results, congrats!!!:smile:

@ariceroni - Way to tough out the tough run!! I could google who that is but I'll just be honest and admit that I don't know who that is either, but it is very cool to meet heroes any time!

@EvgeniZyntx - That does look like a challenge. I can't imagine how cool it would be though to actually run up through all that to that castle though. That would be memorable for sure. The cutoff times are what would probably tell me if I would pass on it.

@kgj4105 - Congrats on the new distance!

@samthepanda - Recovery from pneumonia is pretty rough. Good luck!

@AdrianChr92 - Way to absolutely demolish your goal of 52 minutes with that 48 minute finish in less than ideal attire and against winds!! Impressive!

@skippygirlsmom - So sorry for Skip! At least the problem is identified and the solution is simple. :smile:

@ceckhardt369 - My knee was my weather forecast for years. It no longer works for that though. Sometime during training for my first half that stopped happening. Weird how that stuff works.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Wow, 9 full pages in 2 days! Well, this is my first run and have to get things going if I am to be ready for a 1/2 M at the end of May!

4/3 5.56

5.56/70

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I can not find the post earlier that mentioned our march group had over 2500 posts.

I got to thinking how many miles we must have had as a group? So I did a little math, I did not get everyone (girl math- did use excel) but tried to get as much data as I could easily. Used Strava on some.

Between ~55 random people (easy data pickin's), we accumulated 4807 miles. An average of 87 miles per person, 155 miles per day. The actual number is greater than that.

I wonder if there is a way on Strava to see the miles logged by our group. I couldn't figure it out, usually on mobile and on a mission.

It was amazing seeing everyone's miles. Usually, I don't mind everyone's miles- its a personal challenge -respect- and I know 5 miles can seem as difficult as 100 miles. Actually- 100 miles a month is WAY EASIER than the 30 I started with my first month.

So for all of you that missed a pat on the back and a high five- I am inspired, and very grateful for each step you took last month. I know we tend to have smaller circles of folks we each follow, and I miss all the great MILEstones. Just seriously- Ya'll rock!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Congrats on the PR, that's an awesome race
    @AdrianChr92 I am in awe of your 10K, that's awesome!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I want to join! I am bad at running though, but I think, it would be a good starting goal of 25 miles in April! I am not happy running in MS hot summer, but spring seems like a great time :)

exercise.png
  • Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    oops double post
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270
    @MNLittleFinn
    @ceckhardt369
    @WhatMeRunning

Thanks everyone it was hard but this is the time to unleash everything I worked on.

Also that time may be gun time so my net time could be a few seconds lower. So excite
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom glad to see you have a diagnosis on Skip. Hopefully now she remembers to take everything you give her every day! Praying for a speedy recovery for her.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning All my runs feel like that. I have to go uphill to start all my runs, so the return is always somewhat downhill at the end....not sure if that is god, bad, or neutral for training runs.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    Total: 18.07 miles

Overview:
    This morning's run - the Shamrock Shuffle 8K - was a huge success! My goal was under 37 min, official time was 36:36 (7:22 pace) so I smashed my goal! And managed to take 83 seconds off my PR so that’s also pretty great. I left it all on the course in the last 200m, literally; I probably would have been under 36:30 if I didn’t have to stop twice to throw up in those last 200m -_- I think I pushed it a little too hard, but I’d rather push a little too hard than end up wishing I had tried harder.

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Congrats on setting the new PR @ariceroni !
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Wow!! Congrats @ariceroni!!!