April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Back in the saddle!

Did my W8D2 yesterday. 30 minutes straight, 2.75 miles non-stop running. One more session tomorrow and then I graduate from the C25K! Time to find a race somewhere...!

exercise.png

SWEET! keep it up!
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

So, it's started.
    I signed up for a 10k next Sunday. It's my first 10K. So here's my question should I run Saturday or rest?
    Thanks for your insights
  • pcarvalho3
    Options
    Thinking of getting these: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/air-zoom-pegasus-32-flash-running-shoe/pid-10338513/pgid-11222303 I wear size 6.5 and finding my size is a pain. I already own a pair of Pegasus but they are :o women's size 8 because the store didn't sell people McNugget men's shoes....be nice to own a men's pair and the price is great

Hey welcome to my world! I'm 5'11" and frequently have to buy man's clothing and shoes because of size. My ski boots are exactly the same as my husbands,1 size different, that's how we tell them apart. It's not easy not being average.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    pthyay wrote: »

exercise.png

Oookay, you guys must find this a little funny, but I'm a beginner dragging a couple of health problems around, so I'm quite happy with my single kilometre. ;) I was going to do more, but my knee started acting up a bit, and I've learned to stop right away when that happens.

Way to go! 1km is better than nothing and listening to your body is important to staying injury free!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @pcarvalho3 I'd personally take a rest day the day before, but there are people who do shake out runs before, just something small to keep loose.

Oh, and yeah, not being in the middle of the size chart range is not fun. I did end up grabbing those shoes since I knew that the same shoe in my current ....not mens size.....works great and is basically the same size
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    pthyay wrote: »

exercise.png

Oookay, you guys must find this a little funny, but I'm a beginner dragging a couple of health problems around, so I'm quite happy with my single kilometre. ;) I was going to do more, but my knee started acting up a bit, and I've learned to stop right away when that happens.

Way to go! 1km is better than nothing and listening to your body is important to staying injury free!!

Totally agree. 1km is better than zero, and listening to your body is hugely important....and something I'm still learning.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    Total: 22.09 miles

Overview:
    Easy 4 mile recovery run this morning to shake my legs out after yesterday’s race. Yet another cold windy day, so I was pretty miserable for the half of this run that was into the wind. And my left hamstring is kind of sore. After this upcoming weekend, it will be nice to be done with racing for a few weeks!

Thanks @MNLittleFinn @WhatMeRunning @EvgeniZyntx @michable @_nikkiwolf_ and anyone else I missed for the kind words and congratulations!

@kristinegift - Amazing job on your half marathon! Sounds like an incredibly challenging race, but you really managed to pull through and come out with an awesome PR! And the AG award is always great too ;)

@Stoshew71 - Wow, what an awesome race! Congrats on the PR and the AG award! You'll definitely have to keep us updated as to when registration opens, because it sounds like a killer race

@skippygirlsmom - Awesome job, and congrats on the AG award! Love the shirts too

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just catching up with this thread from the weekend and I am in awe! So many PRs and AG awards! Congrats @greenolivetree , @louubelle16 , @AdrianChr92 , @ariceroni, @kristinegift, @Stoshew71 , @skippygirlsmom , @instantmartian and anybody else I may have missed. You guys killed it!

Some of you may have read on my post in the LDR group that I was considering a last minute entry into the Cincinnati Flying Pig marathon on May 1st. Last minute, because I have not been training for it and had no intentions of running it until I was yapping with my girlfriend last week and she convinced me that I should do it with her. It was both of our first marathon that we ran together in 2013, so I was definitely enticed. However, I was on the fence about it because, while I have been maintaining a base mileage of 30+ miles per week, I had not done anything loner than 14 miles since my last marathon in October and I also know that her pace is a good bit slower than mine, which may actually make it harder for me because of the amount of time we will be running. I decided to head out with her on Saturday for a 20 mile "test run" and make my decision after that. Well, we only ended up doing 16 miles because she is recovering from a chest cold and it was very, very windy, so she decided to cut it short. But I felt great the whole time and was pretty sure that another 4 or even 10 at that pace would be doable, so I decided that I'm in! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed running with her! So, despite saying that I was taking a break from marathons until Boston in 2017, here I am, back in training! Going to put my monthly mileage in @ 150 because I do not intend to go into full on training mode and risk injury and I also will have a taper week or two in there, but I still need to get some miles in.

4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @lporter229 sounds like you had a good run. Good luck in training up for marathon!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm a couple days behind, my daughters birthday completely consumed my weekend. Planning to get 2 miles in tonight after work!

4/1: 1.25 mile run (finally got my better half outside to run, he's a newbie, so while it doesn't seem like a lot, it is!)
    4/2: Rest
    4/3: Rest

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.5 miles on indoor track + weights/abs
    4/2 - Life day
    4/3 - 10 miles. Very windy.

exercise.png

@Elise4270 - Ouch! Stay away from that concrete!
    @louubelle16 - That is funny! Glad it was "nothing"! Obviously, you were fine...awesome HM PR!!!
    @kgj4105 - Congrats on the distance PR!
    @skippygirlsmom - Poor Skip! That sucks all the way around. Hope she is on the mend and feeling better. Congrats on the AG 2nd!!
    @Stoshew71 - Dude, you just rock! WTG on the HM!! (and great photos)
    @MNLittleFinn - Yes! You have found the secret to Running Challenge sanity!
    @kristinegift - Amazing HM!! 2nd in AG...I can only dream about that!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    JohnONE29 wrote: »
    4.3.16 - Knoxville Marathon this morning.

I missed this one. How did it go @JohnONE29? I did the Half last year.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 REST DAY
    4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 4.2 miles - 18.5 << will try and get a second lunch time run in

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Totally agree. 1km is better than zero, and listening to your body is hugely important....and something I'm still learning.

Thank you, guys (and everyone else who replied)! Looks like runners really are a super nice bunch. :D I first tried to start running about a year ago and had a lot of trouble with my ankle back then. I tried taking breaks, stretching, running more slowly etc. etc. and ended up making it worse with all my clever strategies. I finally went to a doctor when my ankle started to look swollen. Turns out I needed orthotics for the joint to move smoothly, and that fixed the ankle problem, though I didn't feel like running for a while. I still remember the ankle pain and don't want to go there again. XD

There may well be more 1km runs before I can manage more than that - hence the cute 10km goal. I had a lot of fun on my first few early morning runs though and I guess that's the point really. :)
  • goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4 in, 20 miles to go for April. I think back to how much I used to run. Its not my knees, its my hips and back that hurt. Need to focus on FORM. Will do that next run.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My plan today is after work (around 4:30pm) do 3 fast miles with recovery jogs in between (plus warm up/cool down). So we'll see how that goes :) It's going to be quite warm, probably 72. Yesterday was a rest day.

@LummiBay Welcome and good luck with your 60 miles :)

@07KatieP13 Way to go on the faster miles!

@pthyay Better to start small and listen to your body than get injured :)

@username301 I have done runs with a child. It's very different!

@JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls Your jogging speed is faster than my running speed :-D

@goin2cruise Welcome :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I stay hungry. I posted a question on the group site regarding rungries which are quickly becoming hangries with increased mileage. I'm on the app so I can't post the link (no link given). Groups-MFP running challenge- Increasing mileage, increasing hunger.

I'm thinking beer would be a good start. It could possibily get in the way of work and my son is still "visiting"?... But I'm desperate.

Please visit my question, with snacks and beer.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I stay hungry. I posted a question on the group site regarding rungries which are quickly becoming hangries with increased mileage. I'm on the app so I can't post the link (no link given). Groups-MFP running challenge- Increasing mileage, increasing hunger.

I'm thinking beer would be a good start. It could possibily get in the way of work and my son is still "visiting"?... But I'm desperate.

Please visit my question, with snacks and beer.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10365055/increasing-miles-increasing-hunger

• pcarvalho3
    Options
    @pcarvalho3 I'd personally take a rest day the day before, but there are people who do shake out runs before, just something small to keep loose.

Oh, and yeah, not being in the middle of the size chart range is not fun. I did end up grabbing those shoes since I knew that the same shoe in my current ....not mens size.....works great and is basically the same size

Thanks, I'll probably run a few kms Friday and rest Saturday.
  • PaulaSchlotterbeck
    PaulaSchlotterbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was supposed to be my rest day but it was too gorgeous outside... I ended up doing my usual loop with a few sprints mixed in. So, today I shall rest and eat tacos with the family. =)

exercise.png