April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Then I got another kick back in Oct 2014, but then signed up for a 10K. Then it all started for me. 14 months later I ran my first marathon in just barely under 4 hours. So even though I tell people that I did Couch to marathon in 14 months, I don't know if I was truly represented your typical couch person.

Just a counterpoint from a slower developer - I ran my first 10K on Thanksgiving Day, 2011. Pointed at a half marathon in April 2012, got injured and had to trade down to the 5K. Pointed at the same half marathon in April 2013, got injured and had to trade down to the 5K. Got medical help to correct some root causes, got a paid training program, and finally made it to that half in April 2014, 2 years and 5 months after my first 10K, at age 58.

Two weeks after my first half, I had to stop running entirely with multiple stress fractures of my left metatarsals. In 20-20 hindsight, I was likely running injured all through training but didn't understand what my body was telling me. Came back from that, and decided to take much longer to get to my first marathon. The plan was to run 4 halfs in 2015, and ultimately run my first marathon in September 2016. Nice long and slow development, right?

Except the long runs went very well, and my running buddies pushed me into registering for Buffalo 2015. Finishing Buffalo in 3:21 at age 59 created a moral obligation to run Boston 2016. Turns out the Rochester Marathon in September 2016 will be my third marathon instead of my first; but even with everything going right after the last stress fracture, it took me 4 years and 6 months from my first 10K to get to my first marathon.

I suspect I'm not all that typical, either; my major injury issues have all been related to feet and ankles, while the online chatter talks more about knees, ITB, Achilles tendinitis, and shin splints and hardly mentions feet.
  • laurenceHarris
    laurenceHarris Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to this but I'd still like to join... My goal is 40 miles (low, I know, but I'm new to running)!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Correct. The time you enter into the McMillan calculator should be a race PR time. If you took it easier than race pace, then you are not correctly putting in a correct time. You may try running a single mile in the best time you can (leaving nothing in the tank at the end) and then entering that into the calculator and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, this was way back in the conversations, but it got me to thinking. If I have a, decent for me, PR in 5k(27:70) and 8k(47:23), but my longer distances have been run slower, not pushing it as much (1:04:30 10k) I would put either the 8k or 5k into the calculator, right? I definitely had some left in the tank after the 10k, despite the conditions.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So far this month i have been physically feeling great! Running 3 days a week and not feeling so beat up with injuries/illness or as Elsie calls them "runjuries". I am registered for 2 5K runs over the next 4 weeks and after that i would like to add another day of running in, slow and steady.................. Still working on my ticker.

4/1-Run 4.1 miles
    4/2- Rest
    4/3-Run 3.27 miles
    4/4-Cycle
    4/5-Walk-3 miles
    4/6-Run-4 miles.......Total Run Miles 11.37
  • kbown
    kbown Posts: 16 Member
    Options

exercise.png

4/1: 1.35 Miles (Walk during lunch)
    4/4: 1.35 Miles (Walk during lunch)
    4/5: 3.1 Miles (Run)
    4/6: 1.15 (Walk during lunch)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nice job @mrswhitehog !
    Keep it up @kbown!
  • kbown
    kbown Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The Glass Slipper was a lot of fun and it was my first. I will definitely get back in the game! :)

kbown wrote: »
    I started running 4 years ago...I've run numerous 5 ks, 7ks, 10ks, 11Ks, a half dozen half marathons (2014 - 2016), 1 full marathon (Oct 2014), and the Disney Princess challenge (19.3Miles Feb 2016). Unfortunately I can't seem to run a mile lately without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Soooooo, I'm back to my C25K app to get me back in the swing of things.

I'm in for this challenge and will say 50 miles for the month of April. I try to walk a mile at lunch every day so that will help too.

Hi and welcome! There are a few of us here who did the Princess in February (although I only did the half, not the Glass Slipper). It was a fun race! I hope you get your feet back under you and are running well again, soon. :)

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training

Upcoming Races:
    Healthy Strides Community 10k.....April 23, 2016
    Run and Ride Kings Dominion 10K...May 22, 2016 (maybe!)
    Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon.....November 6, 2016

exercise.png

• dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I ran 3.01 easy miles last night. The wind made it a bit chilly out so I wore a long sleeve shirt and covered my watch with my sleeve so that I couldn't see how fast I was going. I just wanted to run for fun. My pace ended up being about 10 seconds faster than my easy pace has been lately and that was in the wind. I'm pretty happy with that. It is going to be warm this evening when I go out for an interval run so we will see how that goes. I am also one that would rather run in the cold although it's not pleasant on my joints that have problems with RA.
    exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Then I got another kick back in Oct 2014, but then signed up for a 10K. Then it all started for me. 14 months later I ran my first marathon in just barely under 4 hours. So even though I tell people that I did Couch to marathon in 14 months, I don't know if I was truly represented your typical couch person.

Just a counterpoint from a slower developer - I ran my first 10K on Thanksgiving Day, 2011. Pointed at a half marathon in April 2012, got injured and had to trade down to the 5K. Pointed at the same half marathon in April 2013, got injured and had to trade down to the 5K. Got medical help to correct some root causes, got a paid training program, and finally made it to that half in April 2014, 2 years and 5 months after my first 10K, at age 58.

Two weeks after my first half, I had to stop running entirely with multiple stress fractures of my left metatarsals. In 20-20 hindsight, I was likely running injured all through training but didn't understand what my body was telling me. Came back from that, and decided to take much longer to get to my first marathon. The plan was to run 4 halfs in 2015, and ultimately run my first marathon in September 2016. Nice long and slow development, right?

Except the long runs went very well, and my running buddies pushed me into registering for Buffalo 2015. Finishing Buffalo in 3:21 at age 59 created a moral obligation to run Boston 2016. Turns out the Rochester Marathon in September 2016 will be my third marathon instead of my first; but even with everything going right after the last stress fracture, it took me 4 years and 6 months from my first 10K to get to my first marathon.

I suspect I'm not all that typical, either; my major injury issues have all been related to feet and ankles, while the online chatter talks more about knees, ITB, Achilles tendinitis, and shin splints and hardly mentions feet.

I started running in 2011 as well (at 56) and my 1st race was the Long Beach HM that a friend signed me up for. It was fun and so overwhelming all at once (~25k runners in all events!). Not even a month later I injured my knee (torn meniscus) playing with my pup so I could not run for 6 months. I ran my 2nd race, a 5k, the week I was released to run again. I have run a few HMs each year since, with 5 last year including qualifying for and running the USA Invitational HM. I just wish I could run as fast as @MobyCarp :) I am still seeing time improvements even at 60!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm already at 34 km per week and it's getting a toll on my legs to increase it further. I read somewhere that ligaments and tendons can be very slow to catch up with your muscles and aerobic capacity so I guess I shouldn't push too hard and just go as slow as possible. I figure this will give my body some time to get used to a mileage before increasing it further.

This is a very important point you make here.

The cardio vascular system is the quickest to improve and is also the quickest to degrade when you take a long extended rest (like nursing an injury).

Muscles and stuff take a very long time to build up (in comparison) but they are also the slowest to degrade when you take a break.

Not quite.

Muscular tissue repair may be a thing of hours or days while cardiovascular performance improvements take weeks. Osteoblast remodelling (building) may be a relatively slow process, but it remains generally much faster than osteoclastic changes (bone loss - which tend to be slooow processes).

One can see a change is muscular performance in weeks. Muscular volume in months. Ligament repair, remodelling (or wear damage) may be much longer.

If you want to get a personal idea of fitness, fatigue and performance curves try https://sporttracks.mobi. You can upload your Garmin runs and it will calculate the curves seen in those videos:

fczd0ycylev0.png

My curves - you can see how tapers work - reducing training improves performance, while fitness reduces slowly (and fatigue a little faster).

This is very interesting to me. I like to know more about the specifics about all of this. You have any suggested resources to learn more about all this? Thanks for commenting @EvgeniZyntx.

Off the top of my head, the easiest resources to access (not necessarily understand) are the papers published on TrainingPeaks site or the forum there.
  • goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Made it another 4 miles this morning! Just ran (okay, slowly jogged) 10 mins, then walked a bit, went another 10 mins, did NOT make it to the 2 mile turn around point, which was kinda depressing... so on my way back home I set the timer for 2 mins and tried my best to kick it into gear. I did that twice. Then walked for a bit, then set the timer for another 10. When was almost home I set the timer for another 2 mins and kicked it in again. Total time out was 50, so I am figuring I ran 12 min miles... for a former sub 45 10K er. THAT IS REALLY DEPRESSING!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ha my time ranges were a mess before I ran this 10k. Now I input that in and they line up perfectly with pace and feel of said pace. Tempo seems like tempo, easy running seems like easy etc. Also I got Daniels book and it has a lot of neat info in it. For example for Half Marathon training he recommends you take time to get to at least 30 miles per week for at least 4 weeks before moving on into phase 2 of his plan that include adding repetitions and tempo. He also says to increase mileage every 4 weeks, with 1 mile for every workout you do. So if you run 6 workouts per week you add 6 miles after 4 weeks and keep it there for another 4 weeks. It's a long plan, as long as 6 months and I understand you can finish a half marathon without much but if you are aiming for a good time I think he is spot on. You can't rush stuff
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    1.4 - rest
    2.4 - hike out to Frankenstein (missed cycling)
    3.4 - 13.4 km - 5 super slow, 7 hills and stuff (new shoes!)
    4.4 - Should have been gym, was rest.
    5.4 - 8.4 km - hard time focusing on the run. Pace fine, despite a lot of stop and go.
    6.4 - 5.7 km - 'fast' and ugly - PR'ed 5K

total 27.5 km April goal 140 km

Running thoughts: getting old and slow sucks. My new 5K PR, was an easy thing 10 years ago and 15 lbs less. Here is hoping that I'll still shave time off over the next 6 months.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me so I am using my run time to get caught up here!
    @Elise4270 - I do take omega-3 fish oil supplements. My family is not big on eating fish at home unless it is grilled salmon... It feels great to be back running too. It will be even better when the cast is off but I am just happy to be out there again!
    @EvgeniZyntx - I think it is awesome that you do these activities with your daughters! Mine was a swimmer through her undergrad in college but in grad school didn't have time for much. She is wrapping up med school and I was thrilled last summer when she surprised me by training and running the SF HM with me (her first).
    Very interesting bit on Risk and Presentation - wish I had seen it a few years ago.
    @instantmartian, @kristinegift, @MNLittleFinn - I can't imagine running in the very cold temps but like @greenolivetree I also prefer running in the cold (30's and 40's) and even snow. Running when it is upwards of 80F is just miserable and we have had so many more days of hot weather than cool since last summer that it doesn't even feel like we have had much 'good' running weather.
    @zoe2434 - Look at you going! Great job!
    @skippygirlsmom - I suspect you will do just fine for your HM! How is your knee feeling? Also how is the SkippyGirl doing?
    I'm already at 34 km per week and it's getting a toll on my legs to increase it further. I read somewhere that ligaments and tendons can be very slow to catch up with your muscles and aerobic capacity so I guess I shouldn't push too hard and just go as slow as possible. I figure this will give my body some time to get used to a mileage before increasing it further.

This is a very important point you make here.

The cardio vascular system is the quickest to improve and is also the quickest to degrade when you take a long extended rest (like nursing an injury).

Muscles and stuff take a very long time to build up (in comparison) but they are also the slowest to degrade when you take a break.

Not quite.

Muscular tissue repair may be a thing of hours or days while cardiovascular performance improvements take weeks. Osteoblast remodelling (building) may be a relatively slow process, but it remains generally much faster than osteoclastic changes (bone loss - which tend to be slooow processes).

One can see a change is muscular performance in weeks. Muscular volume in months. Ligament repair, remodelling (or wear damage) may be much longer.

If you want to get a personal idea of fitness, fatigue and performance curves try https://sporttracks.mobi. You can upload your Garmin runs and it will calculate the curves seen in those videos:

fczd0ycylev0.png

My curves - you can see how tapers work - reducing training improves performance, while fitness reduces slowly (and fatigue a little faster).

This is very interesting to me. I like to know more about the specifics about all of this. You have any suggested resources to learn more about all this? Thanks for commenting @EvgeniZyntx.
    @EvgeniZyntx - I would love to understand how they are calculating the performance vs fatigue data - is it just based on HR and pace?
    @goin2cruise - Hang in there! It takes time to get your fitness level back after time off.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,134 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4miles - going by all the posts it seems like the weather has turned bad everywhere, I waited for a dry spell and still caught a hail shower, it felt like needles on my face and arms!

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another slow developer here. I have been running pretty consistently, health and life permitting, for 18 or 19 years. It's been so long that I really can't remember my "running story" very accurately, but I know that when I started running (in 1997), it was for my general health and fitness. There were no apps, GPS gadgets or social media groups. I am not even sure there were running groups. If there were, they were few and far between. I pretty much just laced them up and went out for 30-40 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week, with no real goals in mind. I ran between 10 and 15 miles per week max. I did not participate in an organized race until 2002, my first 5K. When I moved to Cincinnati in 2003, I lived in a great running neighborhood and caught a bit of a bug. I ran my first 15K later that year and my first half marathon in 2004. I did all of my races at pretty much the same pace I trained 9:30-10 minutes per mile. My first half marathon was a 2:05. I never really thought of trying to get faster and didn't much care.

I ran on and off for the next several years, as I was battling with Crohn's disease, and did very few races during that time. In 2012, a friend of mine did her first half marathon (Flying Pig) and instantly decided she wanted to do the full in 2013. I agreed to train with her. So in 2013, we ran our first marathon together in just under 5 hours. I would not trade the experience for anything in the world, but it left me wanting to see what I could do on my own. In early 2014, I had another serious bout with Crohn's disease that forced me to drop out of marathon training due to inadequate nutritional absorbtion and severe weight loss. Furthermore, I had developed a stress fracture in my foot, likely due to prolonged use of high doses of prednisone. I was angry that I may not be able to run any more and angry that I had to deal with this illness. I vowed that when I finally got through the rough patch, I was going to make it my mission to show Crohn's disease who's boss and I was going to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I used that as my motivation for the next year and a half and finally achieved my goal in October of 2015 in Columbus with a time of 3:38:26, giving my a 16+ minute cushion for the 2017 Boston Marathon.

Ok, I guess I got a bit off track there, but now that it's out there, that's my story in a nut shell. One thing I did want to mention is that I believe that all of those years of slow, easy running were critical in getting me where I am today. Matt Fitgerald says that over time, your body will adapt to a more efficient running form. A lot has been said about the values of having a high cadence. I never measured my cadence until 2 or so years ago. But when I first measured it, it was in the 184-188 range consistently. Currently, all of my runs are in the 190s. Even though I am very short, which probably makes for a naturally high cadence, I doubt that if I had measured my cadence all those years ago, that the numbers would be that high. It's not something I ever practiced or intended for, but something that I believed developed over time. I guess my point is, that even though we all want to be super fast, like yesterday, for some of us, the slow road to speed is the best one.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)

Great afternoon run! My hip is out of alignment, so I'm gonna have to work that back in place tonight, but other than that my legs feel great. This is the biggest week of my training schedule (64 miles), so I am sort of waiting for my body to yell at me and say, "Wait, we're doing WHAT?!" But one big day down... 3 more to go! 15 miles total tomorrow, 10 on Saturday, 22 Sunday. Oh boy.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Great story! I did a brief running stint in 2003. Had no clue how far or how fast I ran with no technology whatsoever. I didn't even know what fast was anyway. It was very therapeutic for me at that time and I had no goals. Btw, my husband has Crohn's disease so I know a lot about that. I'm very impressed that you are a runner with Crohn's!

@Marissaxzxzxz Running in hail sounds painful!

Like @shanaber I'm also curious about the data on the sportstrack site that @EvgeniZyntx posted. I synced my Garmin data to the site for the free 45 day trial (which took FOR-E-VER to transfer) but I have no idea what any of it means :blush: Also I don't know if it's a problem that I track a lot of indoor exercise on my Garmin and all that synced too. I wish I could've just had my running go through.

@goin2cruise Don't be depressed :) It'll come back to you in time.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice job on the daily double! You all doing that are really making me consider doing similar, but at shorter mileages, when I get into the bigger training weeks this summer.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @shanaber I'll be happy to finish, but that's okay. I haven't run over 7 miles in a few weeks. It didn't hurt at all on Sunday after the 5K. Part of picking a pace group that is slower than I know I can run it under normal circumstances is to hold me back. I figured if I start with the 2:30 pace group (aka 11:27 mile) I won't act all stupid and do my first few miles at 9:30 and want to die.

I think Skip wants to do a few (like 3) slow miles tonight so we can do that and I'll run in the morning so we'll see. Skip had a meet yesterday and I was so proud of her, she was like 30 seconds slower in the 3200m than her PR and I could see from lap 2 she was hurting (besides the ER ordeal she hadn't run in over a week). At one point I almost yelled for her to stop it was killing me to see her, but when she went by I asked if she was okay and she shook her head yes. After the race she said it was more her lungs and used her inhaler a few times. She went out in the 800m and finished 10 seconds off her PR and said she felt a little better. She doesn't have another meet until next week so that will give her plenty of time to recoup. thanks for asking.

@lporter229 My mom suffers with Crohn's what do you do to help? Sounds like you have it under control. It is a terrible thing.