April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice job on the daily double! You all doing that are really making me consider doing similar, but at shorter mileages, when I get into the bigger training weeks this summer.

I often find that if I run in the morning, I really really want to run again later. But I haven't wanted to risk pushing it too far. I've only run twice in one day one time this year when my morning run went really bad and was only 2.5 miles and I really wanted to finish what I started. But maybe one day I'll decide I've got enough miles under my belt that if I want to run twice in one day, I won't be scared to try it ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom praying here for a speedy recovery for Skip, she's been through a lot this last little while.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree I've done exactly 2 daily doubles this ever, the first time was because it was a beautiful day and I did 3 in the morning and 2 pushing the stroller in the afternoon. The second I went for a very easy 5 mile with my mom in the morning, then killed myself doing 4 miles of speedwork in the afternoon, but was still ready to go for the recovery run the next day. It will all depend on how things shake out as I get further into my longterm HM training schedule.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice job on the daily double! You all doing that are really making me consider doing similar, but at shorter mileages, when I get into the bigger training weeks this summer.

Honestly for most people, doubles aren't really necessary. That's why there's only a handful (3? 4?) out of the dozens on the thread who do them. Personally, I only do them so that I can take two full rest days and still manage 60 miles per week without having to do two 15-16 mile runs in the middle of the week, back to back on Wed & Thurs. Your training needs would mostly likely be better served by doing the miles all at once rather than breaking them up because that will better prime your legs for the fall HM.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom praying here for a speedy recovery for Skip, she's been through a lot this last little while.

@mnlittlefinn thank you so much. She's a great kid, besides the physical stuff, she's had her little heart broken by the boy with the cooties. She made me promise not to go to school and go "jersey" on him. :wink: She has really had a rough week. We went out Monday night for ice cream and I told her boyfriend horror stories, she was dying laughing.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Honestly for most people, doubles aren't really necessary. That's why there's only a handful (3? 4?) out of the dozens on the thread who do them. Personally, I only do them so that I can take two full rest days and still manage 60 miles per week without having to do two 15-16 mile runs in the middle of the week, back to back on Wed & Thurs. Your training needs would mostly likely be better served by doing the miles all at once rather than breaking them up to better prime your legs for the fall HM.

Good point. The only reason I'm thinking about doing it is the time factor....this summer I have my little guy all day, so the longer (8-9 mile) week day runs might get too long to do before my wife goes to work.....will have to see though, if I feel like getting up at 0430, it still might work, that make sense?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn So in that case maybe one double for the longer mileage day, but then that sort of defeats the purpose of the midweek long run (I'm assuming you aren't going to run 8-9 miles every day! That's a bit much for an HM training plan!).
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a personal idea of fitness, fatigue and performance curves try https://sporttracks.mobi. You can upload your Garmin runs and it will calculate the curves seen in those videos:

fczd0ycylev0.png

My curves - you can see how tapers work - reducing training improves performance, while fitness reduces slowly (and fatigue a little faster).
    Thanks @EvgeniZyntx! I was not familiar with this app and am now checking it out. Very interesting indeed!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn So in that case maybe one double for the longer mileage day, but then that sort of defeats the purpose of the midweek long run (I'm assuming you aren't going to run 8-9 miles every day! That's a bit much for an HM training plan!).

check out my thread in the HM group and take a look at my craziness.....and maybe help me tone it down....it's VERY aggressive.....LOL

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353049/registered-now-the-training-countdown-begins#latest
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I have been through the whole rotation of Crohn's meds and have also tried the holistic approach. Finally I gave into the use a a biologic (immunosuppressant). The one I take is called Remicade and it is administered via infusion. I get an infusion every 6 weeks. It takes about 3 hours and then I am good to go. The biologics can be scary things, but honestly, the side effects that I have dealt with are nothing compared to the disease itself. It has been a miracle drug for me. On a side note, I hope Skip gets feeling better soon. She is a brave young lady!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @lporter229 - That is awesome that you have come so far despite the Crohn's! So you will be running Boston next year - whoohoo!
    @skippygirlsmom - I am glad Skip is feeling better! As far as Cootie Boy is concerned - just tell her, he doesn't deserve to have Skip as his girl friend and she can do SO much better than him!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree & @shanaber: I find that my idea running temperature is in the low 60s. Unfortunately, those temperatures seem to be very hard to come by the past few years. We've been going from one extreme to another! I really need to move myself south! :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Correct. The time you enter into the McMillan calculator should be a race PR time. If you took it easier than race pace, then you are not correctly putting in a correct time. You may try running a single mile in the best time you can (leaving nothing in the tank at the end) and then entering that into the calculator and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, this was way back in the conversations, but it got me to thinking. If I have a, decent for me, PR in 5k(27:70) and 8k(47:23), but my longer distances have been run slower, not pushing it as much (1:04:30 10k) I would put either the 8k or 5k into the calculator, right? I definitely had some left in the tank after the 10k, despite the conditions.

That is what I would. Use your 8K and 5K PR. Most likely, each of those would differences as well. So you could take an average of those 2 results (either pick a median number from those 2 results or consider them a low and high point within a range).

The other thing to take into consideration is time. If your 5K or 8K PRs are from long ago, you would assume that with training over time, you got better. (or if you nursed an injury that your fitness actually decreased over time). So you would want to consider the most recent PR to be most accurate. I hope this makes sense.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    WELCOME to all the new people who have just joined us! This is a great place with a lot of good information (and conversation).

I ran today! 5.45 miles, which puts me at a total of 9.7 miles (of 100 goal) for the month. Put my watch on HR mode and completely ignored pace--just focusing on keeping the HR in the low 150s. I figured that was probably a smart choice given how warm and windy it is today (I, too, miss the cold running days--though a mild winter probably contributed to my love of cold-weather running). Ended up just shy of 11:30 per mile, which is much slower than my normal "easy" run pace. The uphill into the wind miles really killed my average.

I was supposed to run yesterday, but bailed out because of 88 degree temps and a wildfire blowing a giant smoke cloud over my running area. No thanks.

Side note: I had been debating cutting back on my running days/miles now that my marathon is over with, rather than continuing with base building (substituting in other forms of exercise for more variety). However, given the diagnosis for my ankle and my new exercise limitations, it looks like my decision has been made for me--more running it is. I will continue to do a weightlifting class and a spin class each week, but am going back with the 4 running days per week. Now just deciding on a more detailed running plan for those 4 days...

Also, thank you all for your support & kind words regarding Maggie. I really appreciate it. She is sorely missed (especially during evening snuggle time).
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - I have been through the whole rotation of Crohn's meds and have also tried the holistic approach. Finally I gave into the use a a biologic (immunosuppressant). The one I take is called Remicade and it is administered via infusion. I get an infusion every 6 weeks. It takes about 3 hours and then I am good to go. The biologics can be scary things, but honestly, the side effects that I have dealt with are nothing compared to the disease itself. It has been a miracle drug for me. On a side note, I hope Skip gets feeling better soon. She is a brave young lady!

@lporter229 thanks for the info, I'll mention this to my mom. It really beats her up. Thanks on Skip.
    @shanaber she said the same thing, he's not worthy LOL
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training (This is what I do when I can't run.)
    4/2 - 4.5 mile RUN! (no pain!), 3 mile walk because I love spring weather :)
    4/3 - rest day
    4/4 - 3 mile run, 23 min strength training
    4/5 - 4.25 mile run
    4/6 - rest day (should've gotten up earlier and done strength training)

11.75 of 60 miles April running goal

@lporter229 I'm glad Remicade works for you. It's a great drug. Unfortunately my husband has had bad reactions to all the injection/infusion drugs. He is only able to tolerate Mercaptopurine. He has been doing great since 2009 though.

@instantmartian Low 60s are definitely hard to come by. That's my ideal walking temp :) I'm in Northwest Arkansas and our temps are swinging wildly. Saturday morning was 32, then up to 76 the past couple afternoons.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    That is what I would. Use your 8K and 5K PR. Most likely, each of those would differences as well. So you could take an average of those 2 results (either pick a median number from those 2 results or consider them a low and high point within a range).

The other thing to take into consideration is time. If your 5K or 8K PRs are from long ago, you would assume that with training over time, you got better. (or if you nursed an injury that your fitness actually decreased over time). So you would want to consider the most recent PR to be most accurate. I hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I may have to run a new 5k at PR pace to see where I actually am at, since the 2 runs were back in late Feb/Early March, and I've been running a lot more since then. At the time, the 8k was my long run.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - NW Arkansas. Seeing the correlation in our weather patterns recently, I figured you must be fairly close to me! I'm in NE Oklahoma.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Yes, you and I are pretty close. Probably an hour or two drive.