edited April 2016
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am)

A bit difficult to get up and out the door for my midweek long run since we are under a freeze warning this morning... overnight low was 24F (-4 or -5C, I think?) and I was not happy about it. But there was absolutely no wind, so that made it tolerable. I think I expected the cold to be worse than it actually was. I got to try out my winter blowout sale jacket many months earlier than expected, and it kept me nice and toasty!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian As an NJ resident, I am in the same boat (not quite as cold here today though). I am just peeved because my last long run before my marathon is Sunday, and it won't be warm enough to run in my new marathon shorts, so I'll only have worn them for 10 or fewer miles on race day, unless I can sneak 'em in for my 15 miler the following weekend during the taper. Yikes!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    About the tendons and ligaments (and I'll add bone strength) taking longer to strengthen I'll proffer the advice I took about being new to running and thinking about future marathon training (or similar type mileage hopes). That advice was to not start marathon training or trying to go over 40 miles per week without having been running regularly for at least one year. The reason for that wait was specifically to build up those parts of the body.

As a general rule, it seems reasonable.

The reality is that some individuals will be ready to run a marathon much earlier. It depends on age, other activity, athletic history, flexibility, prior injury, mobility, weight - personally, I ran my first major race at 22 without a significant history of running. Just for fun.

Today at 49? I'll probably hit 65 km (about 40 miles)/week after 12 months but I certainly think you can do a marathon with less mileage.

All these general rules, they tend to be good guidance not things written in stone.

When I designed hip prosthetics - the typical non-bone ligament injuries we saw where not related to new runners doing too much too early. Outside of old age and car accidents, they tended to be contact sport injuries or exercise overuse injuries in the absence of proper nutrition, cross training, mobility and strength work. If the concern is less injury - work on doing something else too, often and on mobility.

• skyhoppertk
    skyhoppertk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Goal for me in April here in Australia 65km so 40 miles running jogging
    At least 2km a day.

April
    1- 2km
    2-5km
    3-2km
    4-2km+1.5km
    5-2km+2km
    6-2km

Goal week 1-- 15km
    Total week 1 --18.5km

I couldn't edit my old post for some reason.

I am trying to do barefoot running style. hmmm they ask for 180 steps/minute. according to my polar watch I can only reach 120 steps per min, oh well, hopefully I will get faster cadence soon :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @shanaber and @nicolemarie999 my daughter is 19 and athletic (although 2 years of architecture school have probably killed her endurance) - something like a color run, mud run or a tough mudder is too light.

I'm looking for something equivalent to 7 days of riding across Iowa, which is what her older sister did with me at 16. Push her to some limit and make it memorable 10 years later. The color runs and mud runs are great, it is what I'm planning with her little sisters (11 & 13 - YES 4 girls!) but don't have enough "umph" for us in this search.

So I guess I'm wondering about a multiday run with medium daily mileage. Something like Sandakphu 70 Mile Himalayan Race which is over 4 days (but only has 25 people in it). Or maybe something like the Double Half Mary+5 - 50 kms over 3 days in Nebraska. Nebraska is probably as "out of this world" for her as the Himalayas. Have any of you done these?

Anyway, the discussion has allowed me to refine my thoughts a little. Found a site that has a registered list of almost 300 multi day runs (http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/multiday) and we might find our target there.

Thankfully the younger ones still enjoy cycling - so they might eventually do RAGBRAI instead.

My sister did a Double Half Mary in Nebraska a year or two ago, because it was local for her. I don't remember her mentioning a +5, but another 5 miles would make 50 kms. She described it as low volume, and used by a few serious runners to train for the Lincoln Marathon. The courses were out and backs on trails built on old railroad rights of way, one day north of Lincoln and another day south of Lincoln, I forget which was which. The shelters were local taverns that weren't very big. A charming, small community feel type of event. If you're not local, you probably want a motel in Lincoln and count on driving some distance of rural roads each day to get to the race.

If you're talking about a real multiday challenge, I saw a guy on another forum who did a couple of events that were 5 half marathons in 5 days in 5 states, because his bucket list includes running a half in all 50 states. I think one was Dust Bowl - states like OK, TX, AR and I forget which others; the other was some name like High Plains - NE, CO, WY, SD, and I forget whether it was MT or ND. You can probably find them doing a search for nationwide half marathons. Too much travel and logistical overhead for my taste.

Thanks, charming and small community feel is something we got from RAGBRAI (even if it was 5000 cyclists) - loved that feeling. I completely agree, 5 days in 5 states seems like a logistical nightmare unless it is something like 4 corners.

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian As an NJ resident, I am in the same boat (not quite as cold here today though). I am just peeved because my last long run before my marathon is Sunday, and it won't be warm enough to run in my new marathon shorts, so I'll only have worn them for 10 or fewer miles on race day, unless I can sneak 'em in for my 15 miler the following weekend during the taper. Yikes!

Wow. That stinks! It is supposed to warm up here on Sunday, a little, but I'm not sure I can consider 42 degrees very warm, and definitely not warm enough for shorts running, even in the mid-afternoon. Good luck with the shorts. I really hope they don't give you any problems for the marathon. So...where's Spring? I'd like it back! :neutral:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx As a native Iowan, it makes me smile every time you mention RAGBRAI. It's such a great event, and basically a weeklong bike party extravaganza. It's pretty much the only reason I'd want to get into cycling, had I the means (one day!!). Good luck finding a good multi-day race for you and your daughter to complete! Let us know what you settle on!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    All this talk of weather...Last Sat my 6 mile "long" run was in 18 degree temps with 10-30mph winds and 2-3 inches of snow on the road....I look at it as character building.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    About the tendons and ligaments (and I'll add bone strength) taking longer to strengthen I'll proffer the advice I took about being new to running and thinking about future marathon training (or similar type mileage hopes). That advice was to not start marathon training or trying to go over 40 miles per week without having been running regularly for at least one year. The reason for that wait was specifically to build up those parts of the body.

The reality is that some individuals will be ready to run a marathon much earlier. It depends on age, other activity, athletic history, flexibility, prior injury, mobility, weight - personally, I ran my first major race at 22 without a significant history of running. Just for fun.

Today at 49? I'll probably hit 65 km (about 40 miles)/week after 12 months but I certainly think you can do a marathon with less mileage.

All these general rules, they tend to be good guidance not things written in stone.

When I designed hip prosthetics - the typical non-bone ligament injuries we saw where not related to new runners doing too much too early. Outside of old age and car accidents, they tended to be contact sport injuries or exercise overuse injuries in the absence of proper nutrition, cross training, mobility and strength work. If the concern is less injury - work on doing something else too, often and on mobility.
    That makes sense, I agree. I came from a history of no running and sedentary activity for a good decade or more, and never being athletic. :smile: So I took that advice to heart figuring it sounded reasonable enough. Plus I had nothing to gauge such progress on!:lol:

My sister in law is about to run her first HM this weekend (part of a 39.3 series of 3 HM's) and I was recently wondering if she might get bit by the running bug and go for a full this fall. I wasn't going to offer her that same advice I received because she used to play soccer in high school, running quite a bit for that, and has pretty much used her treadmill pretty regularly, but only for short workouts I think. She did a 5k and next thing you know, she's shooting for a series of 3 HM's.:smile: I suspect she could probably handle it.

And perhaps I should be more clear about the kinds of injuries I was concerned about when starting out, and what I would have advised new runners with my completely unproffessional medical opinion. Achilles tendons, stress fractures in feet, knees. Also ITB but in that case it is not running history that will help but strength building.

I'm finding this to be a good discussion and I presume many newer runners reading may be curious.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    All this talk of weather...Last Sat my 6 mile "long" run was in 18 degree temps with 10-30mph winds and 2-3 inches of snow on the road....I look at it as character building.
    There is a book I am reading called "Ultra Mindset" and this sort of difficulty is part of the authors mantra of "It's all good mental training". The key being that the only way to overcome challenges is to face all challenges and persevere through those difficulties as mentally training for whatever challenges may be ahead. Like next winter. :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    There is a book I am reading called "Ultra Mindset" and this sort of difficulty is part of the authors mantra of "It's all good mental training". The key being that the only way to overcome challenges is to face all challenges and persevere through those difficulties as mentally training for whatever challenges may be ahead. Like next winter. :smile:

I think I'll learn to love treadmills next winter..... -10F is just a bit too cold for outdoor running when the wind picks up
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options

I think I'll learn to love treadmills next winter..... -10F is just a bit too cold for outdoor running when the wind picks up

I learned to embrace the treadmill a few years ago. I believe it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'm one of those people who is cold when it's 75 F. I also have sinus problems, and my sinuses, and subsequently my head, hurt so bad when I run in the cold, to me, it just isn't worth the torture. I am one of those people who would rather run 8 miles on a treadmill than 2 miles outside in below freezing temperatures.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That makes sense, I agree. I came from a history of no running and sedentary activity for a good decade or more, and never being athletic. :smile: So I took that advice to heart figuring it sounded reasonable enough. Plus I had nothing to gauge such progress on!:lol:

My sister in law is about to run her first HM this weekend (part of a 39.3 series of 3 HM's) and I was recently wondering if she might get bit by the running bug and go for a full this fall. I wasn't going to offer her that same advice I received because she used to play soccer in high school, running quite a bit for that, and has pretty much used her treadmill pretty regularly, but only for short workouts I think. She did a 5k and next thing you know, she's shooting for a series of 3 HM's.:smile: I suspect she could probably handle it.

And perhaps I should be more clear about the kinds of injuries I was concerned about when starting out, and what I would have advised new runners with my completely unproffessional medical opinion. Achilles tendons, stress fractures in feet, knees. Also ITB but in that case it is not running history that will help but strength building.

I'm finding this to be a good discussion and I presume many newer runners reading may be curious.

Let's talk about risk and presentation then.

Stress fractures may occur in the runner that is increasing mileage too quickly - basically these micro breaks that we all have don't have sufficient time to remodel or the remodelling makes them worse. The cause is the stress + environmental factors. And those factors are huge and more important than the physical stress. The highest risk for fractures are menstrual issues, weight loss related caloric restriction, decreased bone density (lighter older individuals), muscle weakness or balance, and physiological issues like gait or leg size differences.

Basically - preventive measures include improved diet in calcium and vitamin D (together), sunlight, leg muscle exercises to strengthen the leg, mobility work, possibly hormonal treatments if concerns exist (both sexes). There is also a triad of conditions in women that often leads to stress fractures - addressing causes of amenorrhea, disordered eating/exercise and osteoporosis can reduce stress fracture risk. Good shoes with proper support can also be helpful.

If they do occur, volume and distance of running might be significantly reduced for 4-6 weeks then restarted. Also consider looking at a specific foot and running mechanics to address gait issues.

Some of the factors like low weight are the opposite of causes for issues in muscle or ligament damage like the knees.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.5 miles on indoor track + weights/abs
    4/2 - Life day
    4/3 - 10 miles. Very windy.
    4/4 - Rest day.
    4/5 - 4 miles on the treadmill, then weights/abs.
    4/6 - 4.3 miles. Cool, damp and breezy.

exercise.png

@ceciliaslater - Glad you got some answers and a plan! Hope it feels better soon!
    @AdrianChr92 - Love your ticker!
    @EvgeniZyntx - RAGBRAI? Are you in Iowa?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I've let my running go to hell over last 18 months so I'm in. I ran a 5k last month at 29:27 so I have a lot of work to do. The next 5k is April 16th and I'm running every day to try to get even slightly better. I could definitely use this group! Thanks for starting this.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm very bad at keeping up with posting my progress, but I will give it a go.
    My April mileage goal is low, because the weather has not been on my side, and I've started T25 (again) and boxing with my son.

So ..... April Goal: 60 miles

4/1: 4.5 mile
    (total week one: 4.5miles)

4/4: 5 miles
    4/6: 4.8 miles
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited April 2016
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @EvgeniZyntx - RAGBRAI? Are you in Iowa?

No, I'm in Germany. But I've gone over to do it twice with my brother who lives in Ohio. That's sort of like Iowa, right? 4 letters, 3 vowels and an 'i' and 'o'?

I flew over, my daughter worked on her English and we drove from Ohio with a bunch of friends. Great times!!
    @EvgeniZyntx As a native Iowan, it makes me smile every time you mention RAGBRAI. It's such a great event, and basically a weeklong bike party extravaganza. It's pretty much the only reason I'd want to get into cycling, had I the means (one day!!). Good luck finding a good multi-day race for you and your daughter to complete! Let us know what you settle on!

It was!! Friendliest people ever!
    And since this is the running thread, we even had two runners for a day.

It's a great sport, start cheap, but yeah, it can get expensive!
  • bama_belle78
    bama_belle78 Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm in

exercise.png

4/6 6 miles
    4/7 rest
    4/8 miles
    4/9
    4/10 4 miles
    4/11 7 miles
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ @AdrianChr92 Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the suggestions. Probably going for a Banana with some chocolate, just a square.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    4/1-2.5 miles running with the puppy
    4/2-16 miles
    4/3- rest day
    4/4-4.5 miles
    4/5-6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    4/6-5.1 miles

Another super windy day here in SW Ohio. This weather really blows...pun intended!

exercise.png