Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    Total: 27.12 miles

Overview:
    An easy 5 miles this morning. My legs were feeling pretty sore and tired from the weekend, but they started to feel pretty great after a few miles. It was still pretty cold out this morning (~30 *F) but at least the wind died down a bit and the sun came out!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I came across an interesting and potentially helpful article on RW. You know that gap you get in your abs after pregnancy, weight gain, poor habits?

It can cause pain running. Which leads to poor Gait, overcompensation, and muscle imbalance.

I can't help but to think this is why I'm battling the issues I have.

http://www.runnersworld.com/pregnant
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Planning an easier run today after work. 4 miles hopefully. Slow it down and take one hill but flat otherwise. It's supposed to be windy - BOO! Still kinda mad at myself about last night's run :-p

@skyhoppertk Great job on week 1!

@sarahschoggin 25 miles is a great goal. Sounds like you're pretty active but just not used to high impact? Just ease into it.

@zoe2434 3 miles is a big accomplishment :)

@rebkah121402 Welcome to the group.

@brian_gunther Congrats on completing C25K!!!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced wireless headphones. The old, white iPhone ones just aren't cutting it for me anymore. What do you use and why do you like them?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @zoe2424 I use a wireless/bluetooth ear piece. I would have to check at home for the brand but I got it at Walmart for about $50 in 2014. It has worked well. I don't have to charge it often but I don't use it for every run. Usually just my long run on Fridays which is still just about an hour long. I think the charge is for 7 hours. I only ever wanted the headphones in 1 ear anyway because I like to be aware of my surroundings/traffic. So this was the way to go for me. I've never regretted this purchase. I can also answer a phone call if I absolutely have to with the ear thing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plantronics-M165-Marque-2-Bluetooth-Headset-Black/26517520 This seems to be mine. Price has gone down :)
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    pcarvalho3 wrote: »
    What should or should not eat before a 10am 10k race? It's probably going to be cold, around 34F. It's my first 10k so I'm kind of stressed.

Eat some carbs 2 hours before the race. Example banana and 2 TBS peanut butter. Or an apple and half a bagel with PB. But, you shouldn't eat anything that you never ate before. Eat only familuar foods that you know won't upset your stomach. My last race on Saturday, I ate a baked potato.

Main thing is to relax and have fun and don't start too fast. Line up with people that you think will finish the race the same time as you (i.e. don't line up too close to the front where the fast kids are).

@pcarvalho3 this ^^^ I get so nervous before a race I very seldom eat, I hate to admit when I do it's a pop tart but I'm weird like that. So listen to @stoshew71 and not me. You'll love the 10K distance in a race. Good luck

lol!
    I'm so used to exercise at the end of the day, that it messes me up.
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    3 Miles again this morning. Total for April so far 14 miles. Goal is 100 miles for April.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Looks like a couple pages of posts to catch up on, but I have to get some things done first. Will catch up later this afternoon.

Ran 5 miles at the limits of easy pace. I was well rested and it was harder to keep the pace easy because the downhills I would just fly on and then touch or just exceed the cap HR for my easy effort on the uphills. Overall the average effort and HR looks good so it is still an easy run, but right at the upper limit.:smile: Tomorrow is a mid-week long run and that is why I was really wanting to keep the effort easy. Hopefully that won't be a slog.

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles

29/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • peacefulrun2
    peacefulrun2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a few days late in joining, but i just found this message thread and challenge and would love to join in!
    I've just started running again after a long break (winter months in New England with 2 toddlers, and a surgery in March). I'm pretty much back down to working my way up from 2 miles at a time. I'm a slow and steady runner - my goal for the year is to improve my nutrition and lose weight, and I'd love to see the underside of 10min on a mile, and under 30min on a 5k - that would be amazing!
    My April goal is 25 miles
    4/3 - 2.25mi
    4/5 - 2mi
  • kbown
    kbown Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started running 4 years ago...I've run numerous 5 ks, 7ks, 10ks, 11Ks, a half dozen half marathons (2014 - 2016), 1 full marathon (Oct 2014), and the Disney Princess challenge (19.3Miles Feb 2016). Unfortunately I can't seem to run a mile lately without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Soooooo, I'm back to my C25K app to get me back in the swing of things.

I'm in for this challenge and will say 50 miles for the month of April. I try to walk a mile at lunch every day so that will help too.

Good luck to everyone!

April Miles (to date): 2.7 (as of 04/04/16)

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @zoe2434 - I use Samsung Galaxy Gear Circle wireless headphones, which I got for about $35.

Pros: 1) Battery life of ~9 hours playback time
    2) Removable plastic neck piece if you feel you need more security during activity (so they don't fall to the ground if they fall out of your ears)
    3) Volume control on earpiece
    4) Magnets in earpieces. When you aren't using them, you can clip them around your neck so they don't swing around or risk falling off. When the magnets are connected, it also automatically pauses playback on your music.
    5) Good sound quality and has never dropped its connection to my phone.

Cons: 1) Earpieces are a bit bulky (though they are not overly heavy and do stay put well. Probably wouldn't be super comfortable under a headband or over-ear hat.
    2) Not all features are compatible with all phones. If you have a Samsung phone, you can use an app to adjust your sound mixer. Any other phone, and you just get playback. However, I do not have a Samsung phone, and find the default sound settings to be just fine.

My husband has a pair of Skullcandy SB2 wireless headphones. He seems to like them, but I can't tell you much about them. I think they were about $30.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I'm not particularly advanced as a runner, but this will be my second season out.

I am aiming for 45 running KMs - I say running because I also bike.

I have two races scheduled for April
    04/03 - Around the Bay 5K, Hamilton, Ontario
    04/24 - Forest City Road Races, London, Ontario

04/01 - Rest day (due to 5K on the 3rd)
    04/02 - Rest
    04/03 - Around the Bay - 5K
    04/04 - 2.5 KM

Total for April: 7.5 KM/45 KM
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kbown wrote: »
    I started running 4 years ago...I've run numerous 5 ks, 7ks, 10ks, 11Ks, a half dozen half marathons (2014 - 2016), 1 full marathon (Oct 2014), and the Disney Princess challenge (19.3Miles Feb 2016). Unfortunately I can't seem to run a mile lately without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Soooooo, I'm back to my C25K app to get me back in the swing of things.

I'm in for this challenge and will say 50 miles for the month of April. I try to walk a mile at lunch every day so that will help too.

Hi and welcome! There are a few of us here who did the Princess in February (although I only did the half, not the Glass Slipper). It was a fun race! I hope you get your feet back under you and are running well again, soon. :)

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training

Upcoming Races:
    Healthy Strides Community 10k.....April 23, 2016
    Run and Ride Kings Dominion 10K...May 22, 2016 (maybe!)
    Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon.....November 6, 2016

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Done!

W8D3 of C25K in the books! Officially graduated! Can't believe I went from nothing in January to running 30 minutes straight. I'm not fast, its not pretty, but I can get from Point A to Point B without stopping. I just need to work on adding a bit more distance to officially call it a 5K, but it's right there!

Now to find a race somewhere...

exercise.png

So awesome! Congratuations. You hit a huge milestone! I say there's no turning back from here. Find that race and conquer it!
  • instantmartian
    Options
    CChen8520 wrote: »
    OMG guys!!!!

Thought I was doing W7D1 today but I pushed through the 5K mark! 36 minutes non-stop. Super proud :smiley:
    I will keep running 5K for the rest 2 weeks lets see how that goes!

exercise.png

Congrats on the great accomplishment!
  • instantmartian
    Options
    kbown wrote: »

Good luck to everyone!

April Miles (to date): 2.7 (as of 04/04/16)

exercise.png

That is quite the list of accomplishments! Good luck. I had the same struggle after doing just the Princess Half in February, but I seem to have found my groove, again. Sometimes, hitting the restart button and getting comfortable, again, is the best thing to do.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    CChen8520 wrote: »
    OMG guys!!!!

Thought I was doing W7D1 today but I pushed through the 5K mark! 36 minutes non-stop. Super proud :smiley:
    I will keep running 5K for the rest 2 weeks lets see how that goes!

exercise.png
    Awesome! Congrats! :smile:
  • KoraMT
    KoraMT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to count my running miles and I'm aiming for 50, but I'm hoping for more.

exercise.png

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    zoe2434 wrote: »
    I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced wireless headphones. The old, white iPhone ones just aren't cutting it for me anymore. What do you use and why do you like them?
    I've used these for a year or more now (on my second pair): http://smile.amazon.com/Avantree-Sweatproof-Bluetooth-Headphones-Wireless/dp/B00G6H5N7Q

They're fairly cheap (compared to others in the same category), I've never worried about how much I sweat, or being in the rain or whatever, and the battery life is pretty good - I tend to charge them about once a week, running about 6-7 hours/week.