Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides

April total to date – 25.73

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – This morning I took a shovel and cleared an inch of wet heavy snow from my driveway. It was still coming down lightly, but with the blacktop driveway cleared it didn't stick during the day. It accumulated to about three inches on the grass, but the town plowed and salted the roads. By the time I got out to run this evening, I had mostly clear asphalt to run on.

Today's assignment was 30 minutes at E plus 4 strides. First real taste of taper; 30 minutes seemed like *nothing*. That doesn't even take me 4 miles! But I broke 4 miles by adding on the strides, so I felt better about that. There sure was a lot of time left in the evening when I got done.

The speed work assignment tomorrow won't feel like taper at all.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning, @lporter229, @Stoshew71, @AdrianChr92: thanks for the responses. I need to digest what you're saying - but in the meantime, if you're interested, I believe that all of my activity on Strava is non-private, so you can see what I have there. Just so happens that I often run with a HRM, but not today. Did have it Saturday on the 10.5K, so there's that.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    I felt so bad and the doctor said when they have no fever and seem fine (except when they are throwing up duh), you just don't realize they are really that sick.
    As parents - there is no worse feeling in the world than knowing your kid is feeling bad, and feeling helpless to do much about it. I know, there's also a tinge of "kid, what were you thinking, not following instructions", but that's nothing compared to the heart-hurt for your kids. Sorry for Skip and sorrier for you!

@9voice9 thank you :heart:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Over 80 posts since my last Visit. I won't be able to touch or read all of them.
    pcarvalho3 wrote: »
    So, it's started. I signed up for a 10k next Sunday. It's my first 10K. So here's my question should I run Saturday or rest? Thanks for your insights

@pcarvalho3 That's a very open ended question and you are probably getting a lot of different replies - suggestions. I would have to ask " Do you run on Back to Back days in your average weekly running schedule?
    Do you do a short run and then long run, ie Running Sequence? ". My Personal Preference is skewed by the fact that since I have to travel at least 3-6 hours minimum for any Race Event so I am always driving and staying in Hotels I like to get a Small Leg Stretching run ( 2-3 km ) in after all the driving. This saved me at my race on Feb 7 as the shoes I had planned on running in suffered a terminal/structural failure during this stretch run - fortunately I had my secondary rotation shoes in my kit so I was able to Run with confidence in my Emergency Replacement Shoes.
    pcarvalho3 wrote: »
    Hey welcome to my world! I'm 5'11" and frequently have to buy man's clothing and shoes because of size. My ski boots are exactly the same as my husbands,1 size different, that's how we tell them apart. It's not easy not being average.
    @pcarvalho3 It's not east - not being average, could be worst as Kermit would say " It's not easy being Green".

@pthyay @WhatMeRunning said it best
    1 km is about a kilometer further than a huge segment of the population has run, that is for sure! And you do need to be smart about how you approach running with the ankle, so you should be proud! I think it is really something just to even try when the reasons to avoid running might seem so appealing.

@Elise4270 - As for Rungries and them turning into Hangries - Been There Done That. I have to keep some Protein Packed Snacks handy - my favorites are Old Cheese and Yogurt. Which is not good for anyone who is Lactose intolerant. I used to keep Cliffs Bars but they just don't quite fill the Hangry Hole and too many carbs/calories.

@ceciliaslater Like others I updated my Profile Photo too in honor of your Maggie. It is a Picture that I used when I started on MFP of my Aunty Juliets Dog " Halmar" ( Norweigan Name ) that we found in her collection of photo's after she passed away.

I don't understand why in some posts my MFP Profile shows one picture and my profile shows a different picture?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    12 km in 82 mins. That might seem really slow but it was 2 km along the Riverbank, 3 km uphill, 1 km on top the hill then turned around and headed straight back down the same route for home. When I say hill it is a serious Switch back climb, 330m Elevation in 3km = 110m/1000m.

exercise.png

04/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    04/02 – 10. Km – 10 km- 130 km
    04/02 – 8.0 Km – 18 km- 122 km
    04/04 – 12 km – 30 km – 110 km – YTD 420.8 km
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    4/1 - rest
    4/2 - rest
    4/3 - 2.85 mi
    4/4 - 3.49 mi
    exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    whatang wrote: »
    Missed my March goal by about 8 miles: I took the last week off when I had to abandon a long run 4 miles in with a calf strain. It didn't feel right so I wanted to stay off it rather than push it until it went seriously wrong, so no running for 10 days. Ugh.

It's been feeling a bit better now, so I tried an easy 5k today. Still a bit tight, but nothing nasty going on, so I think I'll be ok to ease back in. Going to aim for the same 75 miles I was going for last month.
    Welp, that's not going to happen. Popped my hamstring tonight :(

OUCH!
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yay! Finally got my ticker
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 5 miles on the bike around town, 3 mile walk, 45 min strength training (This is what I do when I can't run.)
    4/2 - 4.5 mile RUN! (no pain!), 3 mile walk because I love spring weather :)
    4/3 - rest day
    4/4 - 3 mile run, 23 min strength training

My run was miserable! In the end, I'm happy with what I accomplished but wow, that was tough. Probably needed way longer warm up. Ran an 8:15 mile which is super fast for me. I've only ever run a few full miles at 8-8:30 pace. Short jog break, then another fast 8:24 mile. I got so nauseated I thought I might puke. And so many things could've caused that. I put off my run until 7pm and I got strangely full at 5pm on a light dinner. It was low 70s compared to my cool 40s run Saturday. I tried taking a few sips of Smart Water during my jog break. And I ran hard those 2 miles. Any of those things could've caused the nausea so I don't know what to do differently next time. Also my whole legs hurt so bad which was very unusual. So this was supposed to be 4 miles total and ended up 3.
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater... Sorry to hear about Maggie,My sympathies. but that's a great gesture from you to adopt a stray dog.

Date.................KM...................Total
    4/2..................06.31.................06.31
    4/3..................03.16.................09.47
    4/5..................02.76.................12.23

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've been running in the dark for weeks now, just have had streetlights but want to expand my territory. I'm in a national forest, so I'm thinking a flashlight will be necessary with the tree cover on the paths, but I can always turn it off if I want to. I'll be testing running in the dark, but living in bear/cougar country, having a light might be a good idea so I don't surprise one....not that should be a problem with my running sounding like a stampede of wildebeests.....

@MNLittleFinn Eek, bears and cougars!!! And they say everything here in Australia wants to kill you.

Hurry up and get there, headlamp!

Pics of the shoes when they arrive, too! You too, @AdrianChr92
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    2 April – 5 km parkrun
    3 April – 10 km PB 1:02:23
    5 April – 8.2 km

Total: 23.2 km
    Goal: 100 km

Upcoming:
    May 8: Mother’s Day Classic 8.4 km
    June 19 – Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
    August 7 – Peaks & Trails 22 km (Eek, have I said that out loud?)
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    25 miles for april!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - So sorry about your losing your dog. I know now hard it hit me when my dog died expectedly.

01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5miles - my HRM stopped working after 3 miles, it's frustrating as a keep an eye on it more than my time during runs. It's been playing up for a while, I changed the battery and reset the watch so looks like I'll be buying a new belt. I've held off so far as they are pricey and I'm worried it if its not the problem I'll still have to buy a new watch which is even more pricey. Only a minor problem on the grand scale!

exercise.png

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @pthyay - 1 km is about a kilometer further than a huge segment of the population has run, that is for sure! And you do need to be smart about how you approach running with the ankle, so you should be proud! I think it is really something jsut to even try when the reasons to avoid running might seem so appealing.:smile:

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I do always feel caught between my reasons not to run (it's hard, my joints and muscles aren't used to it, I have health problems anyway, I have to get out of bed first...) and the reasons why I want to run (it's fun, it makes me feel happier and more awake, it actually helps with my muscular problems, my doc thinks it's a good idea...). I want to choose running this year. :smile:
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pthyay - when I started I could not run a single block. I would run a little and walk a little and when I felt I could I ran a little more... We all have to start from scratch and depending on where we are we may be able to a little or a lot but the point is we are doing it and that is the most important thing! You got up and got out that door!

I've just got past that stage and can now run for a little bit longer at a time! It is annoying having to start from scratch, but it's also brilliant to see yourself getting better. May I ask what your running habits are like nowadays?

I think my knee problem may be due to the fact that I am back home now - I went for my first few runs on forest trails near my parents' place, but now I am back in the city where it is hard to find anything but pavement, cobblestone and the like. I think I'm basically punching my knees once every couple steps. There are some lawns nearby where people run in the mornings; I may have to live with having to walk there before starting to jog. -.-
  • sarahschoggin
    sarahschoggin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First challenge! I'm committing to 25 miles this month, not including all of the mileage I already walk at work. Don't wanna over do it and seems like a small number but I am not active at all unless I'm working so this will be a good starting point for me!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I use knuckle lights when running in the dark. I have one on my hand and the other around my belt in the back. I also ordered a new light that should arrive tomorrow. It's a clip-on that is rechargeable. I can use it for biking as well. Supposedly it stays clipped on. I lost the clip-on light I used to run with at some point last year.
    This morning I kept hearing noises on my run. Once it was an armadillo, then some sprinklers that scared me to death and last of all a cat. Jeez, I think I was better off being unaware!

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)

exercise.png

• Binzee1964
    Binzee1964 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just had a tough interval session. 6 x 5 mins @ HRz4 with 1 min recovery. What made it tough were the damn hills!! But, I do have to get used to some hilly runs!!

exercise.png[img][/img]