April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    5 miles today, total so far for April 23 miles. My target is 100 miles.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No running this week :(
    Sore hips and knees still after a cutback week have led me to conclude that my "duck feet" are going to keep getting me injured. My right side is the worst and it is my right knee that hurts - not agony just now but had same thing last time I threw myself into exercise and I ended up limping then giving up and getting fat again. I have today started trying to correct it by forcing myself to walk straight footed - day 1 and already quite uncomfortable on my hip. Anyone else had to correct this? Any tips? Any idea how long to fix this?
    I am still keeping up with all you guys progress every day as it is motivating me to not give up. I am also excited for all your big races coming up.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sore hips and knees still after a cutback week have led me to conclude that my "duck feet" are going to keep getting me injured. My right side is the worst and it is my right knee that hurts - not agony just now but had same thing last time I threw myself into exercise and I ended up limping then giving up and getting fat again. I have today started trying to correct it by forcing myself to walk straight footed - day 1 and already quite uncomfortable on my hip. Anyone else had to correct this? Any tips? Any idea how long to fix this?
    I am still keeping up with all you guys progress every day as it is motivating me to not give up. I am also excited for all your big races coming up.

Duck feet are a sign that there are imbalances in the hip. Your external rotators overpower your internal rotators. Normal treatment include foam rolling the external rotators to loosen them up and training your internal rotators. I used to have one leg externally rotated and one neutral. I started to train my hip in all the 4 direction (extension, flexion, abduction, adduction) and the problem went away. Also stretches for the hip work well. Here's a vid. It may take a while, like months but it's either this or a bone structure problem in case there isn't much you can do but that is pretty rare. Just make a habit to spend on this at least 3 times a week. Make it a routine

You should also take into account that other things could cause your pain, like a tight IT band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CwSuEfzZOk&nohtml5=False
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    It could have been a tempo or at least a pace that Greg McMillan calls steady state.
    Tempo usually means a race pace that you can sustain for 40-60 minutes. About 30 seconds slower than that is what is known as steady state.

Tempo is comfortably hard. You are breathing heavy but not hyper ventalating. You would be able to get out one or 2 words answers while running. If you slowed down to a steady state pace, you would be able to slowly feel yourself recover (just barely).

Oooh...this is helpful. I've been very confused by what all of you fancy-talking runners mean by tempo and such!

So, for me (and if you want slow, @MNLittleFinn , I'm S...l...o...w like a sloth), my steady state would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.8-5.0 mph--a pace I could probably comfortably run for 4-6 hours if my life depended on it (I don't know if my joints would hold out that long, but I think my muscles would, and I know my lungs would). My tempo would be somewhere like 5.2-5.5 mph (depending on incline, probably)? When I know I'm only going to run 3 miles or less, I usually run at 5.5-5.8 mph. I can run 6.0 mph, but not more than a few miles, and probably not without stopping for a breather or a water break. Am I understanding the terms correctly, then, @Stoshew71 ?

4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets
    4/5...2.8 @ 11:50 on the TM--that's 2.3 (just to make it even!) @ 11:15 and .5 at a walk, plus strength training
    4/6...Rest day, but I got to go help out at my son's RunFit club. Next time I'm wearing my own running shoes so I can chase him with a sharp stick so he doesn't walk so much! (That was a joke...don't call CPS or Jeff Galloway...)
    4/7...7.0 @ 11:25 on the TM (This was really 6.25 at 11:05 and .75 walking to cool down)

Upcoming Races:
    Healthy Strides Community 10k.....April 23, 2016
    Run and Ride Kings Dominion 10K...May 22, 2016 (maybe!)
    Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon.....November 6, 2016

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1pqhszpzl13j.png

I have a hard time controlling/varying my pace. I feel like I need to keep including runs that are 10+ min average pace but it's getting harder and harder. Do I just accept that I'm getting faster or do I force myself to slow down sometimes? I started the year doing a warmup mile at about 10:30 and going faster each mile or sometimes just staying steady with 10 min miles. Now my warmup miles have turned into 9:30 and then I work my way faster and end with miles under 9 min. I can bust out a couple miles at about 8:30 pace right now but no more than 2-3 miles probably. Last year I got to the point of an 8:08 5k pace and I feel like I could get there again but I don't want to overdo it like before. But how long to I have to force myself to slow down to like 3 miles at 10 min pace? At some point maybe a 9:30 pace would become easy, right? Honestly, all running has always felt hard to me :-/ I don't understand running at a pace where I could talk. But then I don't know if my asthma causes that or if I'm just always trying too hard. My point is, I've never really had any concept of how to control my pace and run "easy" or "tempo" or whatever.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree Honestly the best way to tell if you're running to hard is to literally talk out loud to yourself. I do this all the time and look like a crazy person, but there's usually not anyone actually around to hear it (though I was singing along to Hamilton yesterday and turned a corner and someone was outside watering some plants... oops). If 8:30 would be a 5k race pace for you right now, then 9:30-10:30 sounds about right for an easy pace as long as it's conversational.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Also for people here that do strides, at what speed should I do them? Should I go as fast as I can while concentrating on form?

It depends how you do them. The way I was originally taught "strides" I was told to do them in the middle of an easy run at 5K race pace. Start at an easy pace for a mile or so then just start running at 5K pace for about 20-30 seconds then slow back down to easy pace for about a minute or so, then crank back into 5K pace. Repeat 4 or 6x.
    Later on, I found out that these are actually called "surges" or "bursts".

Technically, "strides" are done as a separate workout after you are done with an easy run. You start at full rest and just go into a slow run so that within 15 seconds you are running at 95-98% of a full all out sprint. Hold for about 5 seconds and then slow back down into a complete stop within 10-15 seconds. Stop, and just stand for about 2 minutes. Then repeat 3-5 more times.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    My modest contribution thus far for April:

4/1 - walked/rest
    4/2 -1.2 miles
    4/3 - 1.6 miles
    4/4 - walked/rest
    4/5 - 1.6 miles
    4/6 - 1.2 miles
    4/7 - 2.4 miles

This time around, I'm planning to stick with 5k and shorter and just see what I can do with speeding things up. For the next few weeks though, my goal is don't die and don't pass out.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @kristinegift I do sometimes complain outloud, usually when I turn a corner and get blasted by the wind! Haha!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Duck feet are a sign that there are imbalances in the hip. Your external rotators overpower your internal rotators. Normal treatment include foam rolling the external rotators to loosen them up and training your internal rotators. I used to have one leg externally rotated and one neutral. I started to train my hip in all the 4 direction (extension, flexion, abduction, adduction) and the problem went away. Also stretches for the hip work well. Here's a vid. It may take a while, like months but it's either this or a bone structure problem in case there isn't much you can do but that is pretty rare. Just make a habit to spend on this at least 3 times a week. Make it a routine

You should also take into account that other things could cause your pain, like a tight IT band

Thanks for this - much better than the results of my googling. I found videos that needed you to be a zen master of all your muscles and others that were too vague. This looks easy to follow and I will invest the time in this. Pretty sure it is not my IT band as pain is very much lower inner knee and hips and my right foot is really very rotated. Oh no just realised I am like the female Penguin..!!!! (Batman reference for anyone picturing an Antarctic bird).
  • Stoshew71
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It could have been a tempo or at least a pace that Greg McMillan calls steady state.
    Tempo usually means a race pace that you can sustain for 40-60 minutes. About 30 seconds slower than that is what is known as steady state.

Tempo is comfortably hard. You are breathing heavy but not hyper ventalating. You would be able to get out one or 2 words answers while running. If you slowed down to a steady state pace, you would be able to slowly feel yourself recover (just barely).

Oooh...this is helpful. I've been very confused by what all of you fancy-talking runners mean by tempo and such!

So, for me (and if you want slow, @MNLittleFinn , I'm S...l...o...w like a sloth), my steady state would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.8-5.0 mph--a pace I could probably comfortably run for 4-6 hours if my life depended on it (I don't know if my joints would hold out that long, but I think my muscles would, and I know my lungs would). My tempo would be somewhere like 5.2-5.5 mph (depending on incline, probably)? When I know I'm only going to run 3 miles or less, I usually run at 5.5-5.8 mph. I can run 6.0 mph, but not more than a few miles, and probably not without stopping for a breather or a water break. Am I understanding the terms correctly, then, @Stoshew71 ?

I am not sure. LOL I forgot what mph is since it's been the longest time since I ran on a TM. So all I go by these days is mins/mile paces.

The other thing is, what speed or pace is a tempo verses easy verses... whatever is very individual.

So looking at speed to pace conversions:
    4.8-5.0 mph is 12:30-12:00 pace. You are saying that is your easy pace.
    5.2-5.5 mph is 11:32- 10:54 pace. Is what you are saying is your tempo?

You can run 3 miles (or less) at 5.5 - 5.8 mph or 10:54 -10:21 pace.

All of these are all training times. So it's hard to say what you can really do in a race situation. But if you ran a 3 mile race at a 10:21 pace- You would run it in 31:03.
    Question would be, could you sustain that pace for 1or 2 more miles if it was a race?

Your tempo (or more accurate term lacate threshold) pace would be a pace that an experienced runner can race at for about an hour. A beginner can probably sustain their LT pace in a race for at least 40 minutes. What would happen is that you have no problems pushing this particular pace for 40-60 minutes. But then after that, no matter how hard you push, you will no longer be able to sustain it. You would feel so much of a burning in your muscles and your breathing would be so heavy that you would just have to stop. That would happen because of all the hydrogen ions that get's build up in the lactate process that the pH level in your muscles become so acidic that you just have to stop.

I would actually suggest that you sign up for an 8K (5 miles) and see if you can run the whole race at a pace of 10:54. It would take you 54:30 to race those 5 miles. If you succeed and had nothing left in your tank, then 10:54 would be your LT (or tempo) pace. Depending how far away from the finish line that you had to stop and walk (or how much further you could sustain that pace) you can still estimate how close your true LT pace should have been.

Does that make sense?

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Totally random question, since the box arrived today. I just got my new shoes, they are the same as my old ones, Nike Pegasus 32 in this year's model. The only difference is that My old ones are WOMENS size 8, because they didn't have any mens in my tiny size at the store, and the new ones are MENS size 6.5, which is basically the same.

So here's the question. Good to go for my long run on Saturday, or wait for my Sunday recovery run to take them out for their first spin?

Oh yeah, obligatory pic:j5crb6vtukcx.jpg

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @greenolivetree Honestly the best way to tell if you're running to hard is to literally talk out loud to yourself. I do this all the time and look like a crazy person, but there's usually not anyone actually around to hear it (though I was singing along to Hamilton yesterday and turned a corner and someone was outside watering some plants... oops). If 8:30 would be a 5k race pace for you right now, then 9:30-10:30 sounds about right for an easy pace as long as it's conversational.

If you could sing Christina Aguilera's Fighter out loud in perfect rythem (singing in tune is optional) while running; then you are running a good easy pace. If not, slow down your pace until you can.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Totally random question, since the box arrived today. I just got my new shoes, they are the same as my old ones, Nike Pegasus 32 in this year's model. The only difference is that My old ones are WOMENS size 8, because they didn't have any mens in my tiny size at the store, and the new ones are MENS size 6.5, which is basically the same.

So here's the question. Good to go for my long run on Saturday, or wait for my Sunday recovery run to take them out for their first spin?

Oh yeah, obligatory pic:j5crb6vtukcx.jpg

I'd save em for the recovery run.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    I'd save em for the recovery run.
    That was my first thought, but I figure there's a wealth of knowledge here to tap. Thanks!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

If you could sing Christina Aguilera's Fighter out loud in perfect rythem (singing in tune is optional) while running; then you are running a good easy pace. If not, slow down your pace until you can.

This is a tellingly specific example, @Stoshew71 ;)
    I figure if I can rap "My Shot" from Hamilton while also moving my body forward, I am A-OK.
    "I'mma get a scholarship to King's College. I prolly shouldn't brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish. The problem is I got a lot a brains but no polish, I gotta holler just to heard, with every word I drop knowledge..." I didn't think I had this song memorized until I was running my shake-out last week and made it through half the rap without music (I'd been running with a friend and didn't have my ipod). Now I'm a pro! ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Bonus points if you can sing this version (at 180 bpm) in perfect rythem:
    http://picosong.com/download/67S8/
  • greenolivetree
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am a singer when I'm not running so challenge accepted :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Options

This is a tellingly specific example, @Stoshew71 ;)
    I figure if I can rap "My Shot" from Hamilton while also moving my body forward, I am A-OK.
    "I'mma get a scholarship to King's College. I prolly shouldn't brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish. The problem is I got a lot a brains but no polish, I gotta holler just to heard, with every word I drop knowledge..." I didn't think I had this song memorized until I was running my shake-out last week and made it through half the rap without music (I'd been running with a friend and didn't have my ipod). Now I'm a pro! ;)

This may go before your time (unless you watch Nick at night)

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
    Beans don't burn on the grill.
    Took a whole lotta tryin'
    Just to get up that hill.
    Now we're up in the big leagues
    Gettin' our turn at bat.
    As long as we live, it's you and me baby
    There ain't nothin wrong with that.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options

@Amandajs232 - yep ^^^^ this is what I was going to say too. Like @AdrianChr92, I had one neutral and one rotated out. PT gave me the same exercises when I was going for an injury in my calf.