April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• goin2cruise
    goin2cruise Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    3 this morning. Intervals for 2 miles. FELT GREAT! Sometimes I think when we run fast and stride out its easier on the hips etc! Month total is 7. On track for me!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 Guilty of the same " online running friend " comment.
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    It's like a part time job to keep up in here, lol. What a great group of runners! Sometimes I want to tell someone something that I learned here and I start it off with "one of my online running friends said....". :smiley:
    I call it my Virtual Running Group :)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my long run, looking at 6 miles, as I've done the last few weeks. I really want to run my out and back 6 west miler, but it's more miles out of town and returning I'll be facing the sun. My other option is my out and back east 6 miler and that one has a mile more in town. The West run has more hills (that's a + to me), and I want to try it because it covers a half mile out that I haven't done before.

Here's my conundrum, it's going to be like 5F (-15c) in the morning and, of course, I'll be running into the sun on either the outbound or inbound let depending on which one I take. Any thoughts on which route to take? Or just flip a coin and go with that?

When I was a new runner, I liked to get the more challenging (read: into the wind when it's cold) part of the route done early in the run. Now, if temperature is a concern, I'd prefer the colder part of the run to be later after I've started generating more internal heat. I'd also usually prefer more hills, though there are days when I want to limit the hills. If there is significant wind at 5° F, I'd prefer a route that is less exposed to the wind; but since you didn't mention it, I suspect the wind isn't much of a factor for tomorrow.

Bottom line is, think about it and take whichever route looks like more fun to you. It likely doesn't make much difference from a training perspective.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    When I was a new runner, I liked to get the more challenging (read: into the wind when it's cold) part of the route done early in the run. Now, if temperature is a concern, I'd prefer the colder part of the run to be later after I've started generating more internal heat. I'd also usually prefer more hills, though there are days when I want to limit the hills. If there is significant wind at 5° F, I'd prefer a route that is less exposed to the wind; but since you didn't mention it, I suspect the wind isn't much of a factor for tomorrow.

Bottom line is, think about it and take whichever route looks like more fun to you. It likely doesn't make much difference from a training perspective.

Thanks. Should have said, wind forecast is for calm or 1mph SSE winds. The Hillier one does actually look more fun, just a new area by going farther out.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    Total: 41.18 miles

Rest day today in preparation for tomorrow's half marathon. Here's hoping for a new PR!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • KoraMT
    KoraMT Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm desperate to run and have only done 4 miles this week. It has been so windy and combine that with the massive amounts of pollen and I just can't to it. I'm going to have to suck it up and go out today after work in 25mph+ winds so I can get some more mileage in. I hate the wind.
  • bama_belle78
    bama_belle78 Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    exercise.png

ready for tomorrows run!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    It could have been a tempo or at least a pace that Greg McMillan calls steady state.
    Tempo usually means a race pace that you can sustain for 40-60 minutes. About 30 seconds slower than that is what is known as steady state.

Tempo is comfortably hard. You are breathing heavy but not hyper ventalating. You would be able to get out one or 2 words answers while running. If you slowed down to a steady state pace, you would be able to slowly feel yourself recover (just barely).

Oooh...this is helpful. I've been very confused by what all of you fancy-talking runners mean by tempo and such!

So, for me (and if you want slow, @MNLittleFinn , I'm S...l...o...w like a sloth), my steady state would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.8-5.0 mph--a pace I could probably comfortably run for 4-6 hours if my life depended on it (I don't know if my joints would hold out that long, but I think my muscles would, and I know my lungs would). My tempo would be somewhere like 5.2-5.5 mph (depending on incline, probably)? When I know I'm only going to run 3 miles or less, I usually run at 5.5-5.8 mph. I can run 6.0 mph, but not more than a few miles, and probably not without stopping for a breather or a water break. Am I understanding the terms correctly, then, @Stoshew71 ?

I am not sure. LOL I forgot what mph is since it's been the longest time since I ran on a TM. So all I go by these days is mins/mile paces.

The other thing is, what speed or pace is a tempo verses easy verses... whatever is very individual.

So looking at speed to pace conversions:
    4.8-5.0 mph is 12:30-12:00 pace. You are saying that is your easy pace.
    5.2-5.5 mph is 11:32- 10:54 pace. Is what you are saying is your tempo?

You can run 3 miles (or less) at 5.5 - 5.8 mph or 10:54 -10:21 pace.

All of these are all training times. So it's hard to say what you can really do in a race situation. But if you ran a 3 mile race at a 10:21 pace- You would run it in 31:03.
    Question would be, could you sustain that pace for 1or 2 more miles if it was a race?

Your tempo (or more accurate term lacate threshold) pace would be a pace that an experienced runner can race at for about an hour. A beginner can probably sustain their LT pace in a race for at least 40 minutes. What would happen is that you have no problems pushing this particular pace for 40-60 minutes. But then after that, no matter how hard you push, you will no longer be able to sustain it. You would feel so much of a burning in your muscles and your breathing would be so heavy that you would just have to stop. That would happen because of all the hydrogen ions that get's build up in the lactate process that the pH level in your muscles become so acidic that you just have to stop.

I would actually suggest that you sign up for an 8K (5 miles) and see if you can run the whole race at a pace of 10:54. It would take you 54:30 to race those 5 miles. If you succeed and had nothing left in your tank, then 10:54 would be your LT (or tempo) pace. Depending how far away from the finish line that you had to stop and walk (or how much further you could sustain that pace) you can still estimate how close your true LT pace should have been.

Does that make sense?

OK...that's a lot of info, lol. :)

I'm happy to convert to paces; that's how I record my runs. I'm just used to seeing the mph on the treadmill (which--only about half my runs are on one, less in warm weather).

I've only run a handful of races:
    3 5Ks--34:47, 33:39, 32:56
    1 8K--58:57 (this is actually a little more than 8K, and it was 15 degrees with sub-zero windchills)
    2 10Ks--1:20:15 with a trail portion and 1:09:45
    1 Half--2:49:33

and I can't really say that I've left it all on the course in any of them, although I'd say the one that took the most out of me was the second 10K because I was trying to place my corral for the half. I don't like that feeling you're describing, and I slow down when I experience it! My fear is that I dislike it so much that I'm actively avoiding it and not really running as fast as I can in a race. I'm signed up for another 10K in two weeks, so that will give me an opportunity to see just how long I can keep up that sub-11:00 pace. Unfortunately it's mostly a trail run, although it's a gravel trail and not a technical one, which tends to slow me down some.

OK! Now we are talking.

8K - 58:57 in bad weather conditions and left a little in the tank.
    This would equate to a 11:52 pace.
    With more perfect weather and you were pushing it, I bet you could do it a little faster. You just need the mental confidence and fortitude to believe that you could do it the whole way through. I am not sure if you could do an 8K in 54:30 (at 10:54 pace), but you are close.

Your 32:56 5K time does suggest that you can do an 8K in 54:16 (10:55 pace).

8K strategy I would suggest is to run the first 4 miles at 11:30 or 11:35 pace and if you had anything left just grind the last mile at a 11:00 min pace. I believe that is very realistic for you. Maybe not on your trail 8K, but definetely a road 8K. I am not sure how many seconds you would lose per mile running trail vs road. (maybe ~30 seconds per mile?)

So if I plug in 1:09:45 for your 10K, it suggests an 8K time of 55:21 (11:08 pace) and a 33:35 5K. That slows your times down a little, but all of this in the right ballpark. I would be curious to see the split data on that 10K. I wonder if you positive split that race.

How long ago was that 1:09:45 10K? Is that up on strava?

Anyway, using your 1:09:45 time, the MRC suggests the following:

11:11 vLT

Recovery Jogs 12:59-13:56
    Long Runs 12:11-13:18
    Easy (Normal Runs) 12:07-12:47

Steady State Runs 11:18-11:50
    Tempo Runs 10:54-11;16
    Tempo Intervals 10:43-11:10

Since I think you can race a 10K a lil faster, I would say that the above suggested paces could be shifted maybe 5-10 seconds faster.

So that would make it:

Recovery Jogs 12:49-13:46
    Long Runs 12:01-13:08
    Easy (Normal Runs) 11:57-12:37

Steady State Runs 11:08-11:40
    Tempo Runs 10:44-11:06
    Tempo Intervals 10:33-11:00
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)

Guys...... I have done my last week of Wed-Thurs doubles. Next week I run just once on Wednesday and twice Thursday, and then the last 2 weeks before my marathon just once on Wed and once and Thurs. I AM SO HAPPY. I did double-doubles 8 or 9 times this training cycle, and I survived! The first two weeks of double-doubles were so exhausting, and now I barely bat an eye. That said... I am so ready to start cutting miles as the taper begins next week!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

It's gettin pretty exciting for you. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Those are two very different routes!

I think the one out west looks more exciting with the lake plus a bit more elevation gain. But it is downhill to start and uphill to finish.:smile: The other route is the opposite, uphill mostly going out and downhill coming back. If the hills are not an issue and having the more challenging part at the end sounds OK then I would go west young man. Otherwise the other route. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    No run today for me. It's a rest day. Tomorrow is my first half marathon of the year. It is also kicking off 4 consecutive weekends with a half marathon. I'm ready!!!

I did that last year. And got my Jupitor moon in the Half Fanatics.

COVENANT HEALTH KNOXVILLE HALF MARATHON: Knoxville, TN - 29 March 2015
    OAK BARREL HALF MARATHON: Lynchburg, TN - April 04, 2015
    Bridge Street Town Center Half Marathon : Huntsville, AL - April 12, 2015
    Georgia Peach Jam Half Marathon: Cumming, GA - 18 April 2015

Kick butt on your HM.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @greenolivetree Honestly the best way to tell if you're running to hard is to literally talk out loud to yourself. I do this all the time and look like a crazy person, but there's usually not anyone actually around to hear it (though I was singing along to Hamilton yesterday and turned a corner and someone was outside watering some plants... oops). If 8:30 would be a 5k race pace for you right now, then 9:30-10:30 sounds about right for an easy pace as long as it's conversational.

If you could sing Christina Aguilera's Fighter out loud in perfect rythem (singing in tune is optional) while running; then you are running a good easy pace. If not, slow down your pace until you can.

This is a tellingly specific example, @Stoshew71 ;)
    I figure if I can rap "My Shot" from Hamilton while also moving my body forward, I am A-OK.
    "I'mma get a scholarship to King's College. I prolly shouldn't brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish. The problem is I got a lot a brains but no polish, I gotta holler just to heard, with every word I drop knowledge..." I didn't think I had this song memorized until I was running my shake-out last week and made it through half the rap without music (I'd been running with a friend and didn't have my ipod). Now I'm a pro! ;)

This may go before your time (unless you watch Nick at night)

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
    Beans don't burn on the grill.
    Took a whole lotta tryin'
    Just to get up that hill.
    Now we're up in the big leagues
    Gettin' our turn at bat.
    As long as we live, it's you and me baby
    There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well, we're movin' on up (movin' on up)
    To the East Side!

By the way, Nelly used these lyrics in a song the early 2000s. I only know this because I was in high school, and my boyfriend's twin brother at the time was very into Nelly's album Country Grammar. I remember hearing the song for the first time and being annoyed that Nelly ripped it from the Jeffersons!

That's funny. I didn't know about the Nelly song.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Those are two very different routes!

I think the one out west looks more exciting with the lake plus a bit more elevation gain. But it is downhill to start and uphill to finish.:smile: The other route is the opposite, uphill mostly going out and downhill coming back. If the hills are not an issue and having the more challenging part at the end sounds OK then I would go west young man. Otherwise the other route. :smile:

That's what I'm thinking. Also the very last mile on the west route has a slight downhill for like 3/4 mile to make things a little nicer for it. I did my 4 mile out and back yesterday on that same route, just turned around a mile earlier.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71! I am blasting off with the target of Jupiter in Half Fanatics with these races.:smile: I also have Earth targeted in the fall but have to get there healthy first.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

8 k more. Still inside. I NEED to run outside, but this week we had snow, rain, freezing rain and it's cold, at least for April. Next week it seems that it is going to be better. One can just wish...
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

So if I plug in 1:09:45 for your 10K, it suggests an 8K time of 55:21 (11:08 pace) and a 33:35 5K. That slows your times down a little, but all of this in the right ballpark. I would be curious to see the split data on that 10K. I wonder if you positive split that race.

How long ago was that 1:09:45 10K? Is that up on strava?

That was at the MCM10K in late October last fall. The first mile was slow because I was *freezing* and jogging with a slower friend while we warmed up and dealt with the 7000 other runners. The last bit was up a ginormous hill.

Distance Pace Elapsed Time
    1.0 mi 12:53 min/mi 00:12:52
    2.0 mi 10:24 min/mi 00:10:22
    3.0 mi 10:48 min/mi 00:10:48
    4.0 mi 10:23 min/mi 00:10:22
    5.0 mi 10:37 min/mi 00:10:36
    6.0 mi 11:02 min/mi 00:11:00
    6.5 mi 12:24 min/mi 00:06:34

My other 10K (one month earlier) is similar for the road sections:
    Distance Pace Elapsed Time
    1.0 mi 10:20 min/mi 00:10:20 Road
    2.0 mi 10:54 min/mi 00:10:53 Road
    3.0 mi 14:10 min/mi 00:14:09 Technical Trail
    4.0 mi 14:04 min/mi 00:14:03 Technical Trail
    5.0 mi 14:09 min/mi 00:14:09 Technical Trail
    6.0 mi 13:33 min/mi 00:13:32 Road (but uphill)
    6.3 mi 11:31 min/mi 00:03:00 Road

Anyway, using your 1:09:45 time, the MRC suggests the following:

11:11 vLT

Recovery Jogs 12:59-13:56
    Long Runs 12:11-13:18
    Easy (Normal Runs) 12:07-12:47

Steady State Runs 11:18-11:50
    Tempo Runs 10:54-11;16
    Tempo Intervals 10:43-11:10

Since I think you can race a 10K a lil faster, I would say that the above suggested paces could be shifted maybe 5-10 seconds faster.

So that would make it:

Recovery Jogs 12:49-13:46
    Long Runs 12:01-13:08
    Easy (Normal Runs) 11:57-12:37

Steady State Runs 11:08-11:40
    Tempo Runs 10:44-11:06
    Tempo Intervals 10:33-11:00

So this actually puts a fair number of my runs slower than where I typically run. I never would have expected that! But this is very, very helpful. I'll start training in earnest for my November half in June, and I'd like to use a "real" training plan that factors in tempo and speed/interval work as well as long runs and proper recovery runs. For my last half, I was just working up to being able to be on my feet for over two hours (and I only ran about 12 miles on my longest run beforehand). I was so incredibly nervous about not being able to do it that I really held back. I'd like to train for better performance this time. Thank you *so* much for figuring these numbers for me! I'm printing them out and looking for/devising a plan! :)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    More retail therapy today to help get through the week and through this rest day.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4 miles
    08/04 5 miles

exercise.png

• ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member