April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ran parkrun this morning and it felt pretty good, came in at just under 28minutes, so just above average in terms of my times. I even managed to run some decent negative splits for the first time, rather than going out too fast so I was happy.

I also had a bit of a nice 'moment' on the way round when I reached the half way point and the guy with the stopwatch said my time was 14:16, and actually I was finding my pace quite easy at that point. This, for some reason, made me think back about my running progress, particularly to a day around about this time next year, and how hard I was having to push to get sub-30 on a 5km. On this particular day, I had chosen a really flat route near my house and decided I was going to go out and absolutely blast it, so I did. I actually thought my legs were going to fall off and breathing was really hurting towards the end. When my app told me I had done 5km, I stopped, looked and saw it said 30:01. I actually sat and cried! But now I can do it easily, even my easy pace gets me round in about 30mins :)

Anyway, just a little mini-win I had with my brain today :blush:

3rd April - 13.1 miles - Half PB 2:04:35
    5th April - 2.43 miles
    6-8th April - away
    9th April - 3.09 miles

MTD - 18.62/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/4: 3.2 Miles
    3/4: 7.0 Miles
    9/4: 3.1 Miles

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Orphia More congrats!

@Amandajs232 Foam rolling hurts less after you do it a few times :)

@louubelle16 Nice job on the negative splits.

Can't mention everyone but great job on the miles logged above and good luck to all the racers today!

Not sure yet if I'm running but if so it will be evening and short.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree I have that back of the knee pain sometime too, I find going bananas with my calf stretching really helps, GL

@Amandajs232 foam rolling is a *kitten*, are you strengthening you hip internal rotators too?

@louubelle16 great job!

Unfortunately I caught the cold both my kids have, so I'm not going to be running this weekend.

4/3 - 5 mi
    4/4 - 3.5 mi
    4/5 - 3.5 mi + weights
    4/6 - rest
    4/7 - 2 mi + plyo
    4/8 sick day
    4/9 sick day
    14/60
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy
    4/4 – 4.59 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/5 – 14.14 warm up + speed work
    4/6 – 5.18 easy
    4/7 – 11.45 – short warmup, long speed work
    4/8 – scheduled rest day
    4/9 – 7.30 speed work

April total to date – 63.80

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 2 miles at E, 20 minutes at T with 2 minutes recovery, 2 miles at E. That isn't very long, but gives me 3 fast miles in the middle. Ran from my home first thing in the morning, with the temperature 30° F (-1° C) and perhaps 15 mph NNE wind. I ran the last 2 miles without looking at the watch much, and they turned out to be faster than the first 2 miles. I guess that means I'm in good enough cardio shape to handle this workout, which is the same as a workout that Coach had me tone down a week and a half ago.

The objective is to hold the pace steady at target for each of the pace specified intervals. First two miles, I averaged 8:07 pace. That's right in the middle of my easy range. The T interval averaged 6:34 per mile, right about where I want it. I'd been targeting 6:32 on the track, and would take 6:40 on the road. The last two miles averaged 7:39 per mile, a shade faster than the 7:45 that I regard as the fast end of my easy range. My heart rate was in Zone 3 for most of that, but I felt good. *shrug* Probably should have slowed down more, but it likely won't hurt me at this point.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Apr: 0.00 miles but 4.42 miles (walk)
    02-Apr: 6.63 miles
    03-Apr: <Life Day>
    04-Apr: 8.11 miles
    05-Apr: 5.86 miles
    06-Apr: 2.26 miles
    07-Apr: 2.75 miles
    08-Apr: 2.77 miles
    09-Apr: 10.13 miles
    10-Apr: <Life Day>
    11-Apr:
    12-Apr:
    13-Apr:
    14-Apr:
    15-Apr:
    16-Apr:
    17-Apr: <Life Day>
    18-Apr:
    19-Apr:
    20-Apr:
    21-Apr:
    22-Apr:
    23-Apr:
    24-Apr: <Life Day>
    25-Apr:
    26-Apr:
    27-Apr:
    28-Apr:
    29-Apr:
    30-Apr:

exercise.png

Pretty close to being on-track so far this month, even with trying to modify my running schedule a little. I think I'm mostly over my frustration earlier this week: I think I'm gonna just live with (and be happy with) being an 11 min/mile runner - and if I speed up over time, that'll come, but I'm not gonna overthink things. I did reach out to the XC coach for the local high school to see if he'd be willing to sell me some of his time for a couple of coaching sessions, but if it doesn't happen, I'm okay. It may be that I just don't fit into the MRC profile or whatever.

Today was my first 10-miler in quite a while. Felt pretty good - not sure I was ready to give another 2-3 miles, but I wasn't unhappy with the run or how I'm feeling now.

Upcoming Races:
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    23-Apr: Christ School 5K OR
    Taylor County Race for Literacy 5K
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @nicolemarie999 Thanks! I do use the foam roller and "stick" on my calves and hamstrings. Seems like all my aches have moved to my left side after last year being the right side. Hope your cold is short-lived!

@MobyCarp Love reading about your training.

@9voice9 You've got distance down which is more important before speed. Running fast is no fun if you can only last 20 minutes - and I've been there. By the way, meant to mention before, I'm a (retired) Baptist minister's daughter :smile:

Heading to a family event. Still hoping to run later. My knee and arm feel good today. So far.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 REST DAY
    4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 4.2 miles - 18.5 << will try and get a second lunch time run in
    4/4 4.0 miles - 22.5 << daily double, 3E +1HMP
    4/5 8 miles - 30.5
    4/6 4.2 miles - 34.7 << easy recovery 4 (taper week)
    4/7 6 miles - 40.7
    4/8 5 miles - 45.7
    4/9 3.3 miles - 49

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

Easy shakeout before tomorrow morning's Half.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01/04 4 miles
    04/04 5 miles
    05/04 4 miles
    06/04 4 miles
    08/04 5 miles
    09/04 4 miles.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    4/1- rest
    4/2- 6.23 miles
    4/3- 4 miles
    4/4- rest
    4/5- 4 miles
    4/6- rest
    4/7- 4 miles
    4/8- rest
    4/9- 6.24 miles

Total: 24.47/60

Morning long run 10:29 min/mile with negative splits on all but 1 mile. Mile 4 was a tough MoFo. -1F when I started. Meant it to be a slower run, but the pace felt good so I kept with it. The temp did make me want to be done quicker too... Felt good. Nike pants under saucony Soberius pants kept legs warm. UA turtleneck, random Old Navy long sleeve shirt and C9 hoodie under Brooks LAD jacks were almost too much, had to unzip half way the last mile. Scott gloves and knit hat rounded out the outfit.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/01: Off, rest day
    4/02: 12 miles, long and easy
    4/03: 8K race - 36:36 (7:22 pace) - new PR! + 1 mile warm up
    4/04: 4 miles, easy
    4/05: 5 miles, easy
    4/06: 5 miles total, 2 miles @ 7:38 (LT) pace (am)
    4/06: 4 miles, easy (pm)
    4/07: 5 miles, easy
    4/08: Off, rest day
    4/09: Half Marathon - 1:53:11 - treated as a long run with strong finish
    Total: 54.28 miles

Overview:
    Ran the Chi Town Half Marathon today! We had some pretty awful race conditions. 30 degrees, overcast for most of the race, and ~20 mph winds. It sleeted/snowed in the early morning, so the course was almost entirely covered in ice. And, worst of all, I somehow managed to leave my running watch at home!! I decided to take it pretty easy, rather than trying to race hard in these conditions. Official time was 1:53:11 (8:38 pace), which is about 4.25 minutes slower than my PR from November. Kept is slow and easy for the first 10 miles; not sure what my actual pace was but I think it was somewhere around 8:50 /mile, so a little faster than I typically do long runs. Once I hit the 10 mile marker, I sped up for the last 5K. Probably averaged around 8:00 pace, and I really kicked it hard for the last 1/4 mile. I must have passed at least 200 people in the last 5K! Finished the race feeling strong and like I definitely had a good amount left in the tank. I’m pretty excited about my next half marathon in 6 weeks; the weather should be much better and I know I’ve got a big PR ahead of me!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    04/03 - Shamrock Shuffle (8K) 36:36 - new 8K PR!
    04/09 - Chi Town Half Marathon 1:53:11 - took it nice and easy
    04/24 - Ravenswood Run (5K)
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni Wow! Super race especially in those conditions!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Apr 01    103.7    103.7  April Fools!!
    Apr 03      6.2      6.2  Cohasset 10K, PR and 19th in my age group!
    Apr 05      5.3T    11.5
    Apr 06      3.8T    15.3
    Apr 09      6.4     21.7

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ran the Rock the Parkway half marathon today. I suspected I would set a new PR even at a long run effort, which is how I set out to run this race. I wasn't racing it due to having more half marathons coming up.

It was a cold start. The forecast when I left called for a temp of 36 F at race time and 42 F at my planned finish time. So I wore shorts and short sleeve shirt, hat and gloves. After arriving I noticed the temp on my phone said 33 F, and the hourly was showing a finish temp of 39 F! So I was a little worried about being under dressed. While it was cold in the chute after we started running I was fine.

There were 7,000 participants this year, more than last year and that showed with the crazy long port-a-potty lines. I could tell the race would start before I made it through the line as they finished the national anthem. So I lined up in the chute and decided to hope for the best.

I lined up between the 2:35 and 2:40 pacers as that is where I knew I could comfortably run at a long run pace. I was happy with my effort level and whenever I glanced at my HR it confirmed I was running at the right effort, but by mile two I had caught up with the 2:35 pacer. So I paced with them until mile 4 when nature called and I stopped for a port-a-potty break.

After that I just ran by feel and glancing at my HR occasionally to make sure I was at the right effort. To my surprise I caught back up with the 2:35 pacer again around mile 6. So I again kept pace with that group.

At mile 8.5 the course transitioned to mostly downhill to the finish and based on my HR being on the lower end of my long run range I started breaking ahead to see how I would finish. By mile 10 my pace had me on track to come very close to a 2:30 finish, which is one of my spring goals. So I took advantage of the downhills and ran closer to my HM effort level.

I finished in 2:30:17.6 and am very pleased with that. Had I not had to stop for a bit at mile 4 I certainly could have been under 2:30. Plus, I wasn't even running near my HM effort level save for the last 3 miles.

I'm not feeling tight or sore really either. I feel like I should after a weekend long run. :smile:

It was just a very good day all around. The skies were clear blue, sunny, and comfortable temps for running in my opinion.

My sister-in-law ran her first HM today too, we carpooled together out there and back. She finished in 2:18.

4/1 - Rest
    4/2 - 14 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/5 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 8 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - Rest
    4/9 - 13.1 miles

55.1/160 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I can catch up with the thread this evening! I'm a bit behind being at the race this morning, and now having to do some errands.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 You've got distance down which is more important before speed. Running fast is no fun if you can only last 20 minutes - and I've been there. By the way, meant to mention before, I'm a (retired) Baptist minister's daughter :smile:
    I'm a Baptist minister serving a UMC congregation (Director of Music Ministries - permanent part-time) for the last 5 1/2 years. Did the Baptist thing for about 22 years, before getting burned a couple times pushed me into non-church work.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all the racers today!!

Although it wasn't an official race, I did my own 5k race test today. I have done a 10k and a half marathon before but I have never done a 5k race. I always seem to apologize for being so slow (not that anyone here has ever made me feel like I need to) but I think I have been running long enough that I have just accepted that I am slow and its ok because I just need to race against myself. My goal then for today was to have my average pace at 12:00 per mile. I was thrilled to have finished with an average pace of 11:42. I'm so glad I finally tested myself because I figured out that: I do not like to race so I will definitely be doing the Bolder Boulder as a fun race with my husband, my max heart rate came out to 200 so I can now set my heart rate zones appropriately, and I have been doing a fine job pacing myself on my easy runs.
    exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: Rest day!
    4/2: 5 miles
    4/3: 13.1 Caesar Rodney HM!
    4/4: 3 miles with Joe to Go crew
    4/5: Rest day
    4/6: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    4/7: 7 miles tempo (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    4/8: Rest day
    4/9: 22 miles << Last super long run for this training cycle!

Decided to move my long run to today rather than running it on my usual Sunday. Two of my running friends were going from Kingston (just NW of Princeton) to New Brunswick and I decided to join them. I had to choose between running today with company but risking a chilly rain for the second half OR running alone tomorrow in cold, possibly on ice if today's rain freezes overnight. I chose to suffer with friends. And it was a great choice because it didn't even start to rain til we got to our lunch destination in New Brunswick! And then we waited ages for a train back down to Princeton. But all in all, it was a good run and a fun way to spend half the day! All of us are running the same race on May 1, so this was everyone's last big hoorah before tapering. My legs felt great, my head was in a good place.... it'll feel good to start wrapping up the training cycle over the next few weeks.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM: New PR! 1:40:13
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I also had a bit of a nice 'moment' on the way round when I reached the half way point and the guy with the stopwatch said my time was 14:16, and actually I was finding my pace quite easy at that point. This, for some reason, made me think back about my running progress, particularly to a day around about this time next year, and how hard I was having to push to get sub-30 on a 5km. On this particular day, I had chosen a really flat route near my house and decided I was going to go out and absolutely blast it, so I did. I actually thought my legs were going to fall off and breathing was really hurting towards the end. When my app told me I had done 5km, I stopped, looked and saw it said 30:01. I actually sat and cried! But now I can do it easily, even my easy pace gets me round in about 30mins :)

@louubelle16 You've come a long way! I have those moments a lot when I realize that I am doing so much better with running now than I was a year or six months ago. It really makes clear how much running is a "me vs. me" kind of sport!

ariceroni wrote: »
    Overview:
    Ran the Chi Town Half Marathon today! We had some pretty awful race conditions. 30 degrees, overcast for most of the race, and ~20 mph winds. It sleeted/snowed in the early morning, so the course was almost entirely covered in ice. And, worst of all, I somehow managed to leave my running watch at home!! I decided to take it pretty easy, rather than trying to race hard in these conditions. Official time was 1:53:11 (8:38 pace), which is about 4.25 minutes slower than my PR from November. Kept is slow and easy for the first 10 miles; not sure what my actual pace was but I think it was somewhere around 8:50 /mile, so a little faster than I typically do long runs. Once I hit the 10 mile marker, I sped up for the last 5K. Probably averaged around 8:00 pace, and I really kicked it hard for the last 1/4 mile. I must have passed at least 200 people in the last 5K! Finished the race feeling strong and like I definitely had a good amount left in the tank. I’m pretty excited about my next half marathon in 6 weeks; the weather should be much better and I know I’ve got a big PR ahead of me!

@ariceroni Those sound like awful race conditions! Congrats for making it through (and in a really decent time!). You'll definitely kill it in your next HM... hopefully with much more pleasant running conditions!

Ran the Rock the Parkway half marathon today. I suspected I would set a new PR even at a long run effort, which is how I set out to run this race. I wasn't racing it due to having more half marathons coming up.
    I finished in 2:30:17.6 and am very pleased with that. Had I not had to stop for a bit at mile 4 I certainly could have been under 2:30. Plus, I wasn't even running near my HM effort level save for the last 3 miles.

I'm not feeling tight or sore really either. I feel like I should after a weekend long run. :smile:

It was just a very good day all around. The skies were clear blue, sunny, and comfortable temps for running in my opinion.

@WhatMeRunning That sounds like a great race! Are any of your many weekends of HMs a goal race? And way to be feeling good after a solid effort!! Can't wait to hear about the other races in your line up!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning - that sounds like a great day for you! Awesome job!
    @ariceroni - oh my goodness - running on ice! Can't imagine that. Also it sounds so cold! WTG!

@mobycarp - I love your training reports also. Are you going to tell us how to follow you in Boston? I know I am living vicariously through you and need to follow you online! :wink: If you already told us, sorry, I missed it but I will look back if you did!
    @dennie24 - you are right, no one cares what speed we go. It's just amazing to be running! :smile:
    @skippygirlsmom - good luck tomorrow!
    @mnfinn62 -1!!! Holy Frozen ****! fill in your own choice there. Great job getting it done!
    @greenolivetree - great news on your knee!
    @kristinegift - sounds like a fun ride with friends! My daughter runs in NYC and she said she didn't wear gloves this morning and her hands were throbbing with pain.

4/1- 5.1 miles in the rain
    4/2 - rest/travel day
    4/3 - 34 miles on bike
    4/4 - 5.1 miles (intervals)
    4/5 - 5.1 miles - intervals (although slower than yesterday)
    4/6 - 22 miles on bike + Strength training
    4/7 - 4.2 miles - slow and steady
    4/8 - strength training
    4/9 - 34 miles on bike - very windy but I am improving!

exercise.png