I need to shed about 30 pounds in about a month!

Options
13»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    You say you've hit a plateau. What are you doing to try to break this situation? Have you already lost a substantial amount of weight? If so your body may be getting used to its new shape/balance before it will loose again. Do you meet the levels MFP gives for fats? For a while now it is being said that many hormones and things are made from fats. If one is on a calorie restriction and loosing weight too quickly you risk loosing muscle. I did look to see if your diary is open but it isn't. Try for the lbs you can comfortably achieve. Safe weight loss has been set at no more than 2 lb a week and 1 is the most many can manage.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    20 pounds still isn't a good idea. 8 is about the most you should aim for, and that's only if you have a lot to lose. What are your stats?

I've never fully understood the "its unhealthy" mantra. Maybe you can explain it to me?

3500 calories in a pound.

Someone could technically eat 2,500 calories per day, and then through BMR and lots of exercise, burn 6,000 calories per day. That would result in a 3500 deficit per day - Which is 1 pound.

Maybe i'm missing something?

You think it is easy to burn 6000 calories per day? You also think if you did burn 6000 per day that you wouldn't need to increase calories to fuel that level of burn?? You also think it would be all fat loss and the body wouldn't turn to use muscle and tissue for fuel with that kind of crazy daily burn???

Just wondering.

Pfft. Easy-peasy. I can do a marathon and a half per day, why can't you?
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Start earlier.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    This has to be an April fool!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    20 pounds still isn't a good idea. 8 is about the most you should aim for, and that's only if you have a lot to lose. What are your stats?

I've never fully understood the "its unhealthy" mantra. Maybe you can explain it to me?

Someone could technically eat 2,500 calories per day, and then through BMR and lots of exercise, burn 6,000 calories per day. That would result in a 3500 deficit per day - Which is 1 pound.

6000 calories burned per day you say?
    Running at 5MPH for 589 minutes (or appox 9.5-10hrs) will burn roughly 6000 cals but prob not even that much give its from MFP database.

EDIT- Factoring in a BMR of 2000 that would leave 4,000 cals burned through exercise.
    keeping with the running example thats 393 minutes or 6.55 hours spent running, and thats an overestimated burn.

And do that for a week?

Also this rate would surely deplete existing muscle.
    Maybe a more realistic example?
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    vnieves605 wrote: »
    Any tips? Please share! I have hit a plateau! Thanks

How much have you lost already and before this plateau, what was your average weekly weight loss? Do you exercise already? If so, how strenuously? What is your average daily calorie intake? Do you have any wiggle room? You've set yourself a seemingly impossible task, but it's hard to give any real tips without a starting point.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In addition to the earlier questions, how diligent have you been with your tracking? Is your calorie deficit reasonable? Have you consistently hit your target?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    In addition to the earlier questions, how diligent have you been with your tracking? Is your calorie deficit reasonable? Have you consistently hit your target?

op is a new guy. there's no reason to believe he's done any tracking.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Cut a limb off, left leg should do.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

There's still (not so) hidden wisdom in my post for those who have ears to hear it.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I lost about this much during one summer month in high school. Went from 145 -115lbs over the summer before my Senior year. But weight loss became my obsession that year. I barely ate anything, and was falsely under the impression that "fat was bad", so I wasn't even eating the best things when I did eat.

I also had a compulsion to exercise constantly. Multiple hour+ long bike rides a day, swimming multiple hours a day, using the elliptical at home while watching TV, making sure I got in a pilates/hand weights session in before bed. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

It became a sickness. So yes, it's *possible* but probably not healthy, mentally or physically, and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

There's still (not so) hidden wisdom in my post for those who have ears to hear it.

that's true, but i suspect someone who wants to lose 30 pounds in a month may be hoping for something drastic, not solid, healthy common sense.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

that's true, but i suspect someone who wants to lose 30 pounds in a month may be hoping for something drastic, not solid, healthy common sense.

That's why my post was more subtle than direct instruction...because he isn't ready yet.

I'm just planting the seeds. Perhaps one day he will be ready to work towards a bountiful harvest by doing the work that must be done over a sufficiently long enough period of time.

Perhaps.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

What would your body use to live off of? That being said, good luck burning 6000 calories per day exercising (maybe you were just using numbers for illustration).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Was a bit confused for a second. From the OP's picture and profile, she's a woman!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

You're missing the fact that your entire body would absolutely crater after about 4-5 days of trying to burn 4,000 calories (or more) per day in exercise. Especially with that steep of an overall caloric deficit. Go drain all the gas, oil and transmission fluid out of your car and try driving it a thousand miles at 120 mph.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

yes its 3500 calories in a lb but to lose 1lb a week you would only have to be in a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days which is 500x7= 3500 calories. BMR is what your body burns being alive without exercise. as for burning 6000 calories a day,that would be hard to do for most people unless they were running,hiking mountains or cycling long distances. If you were to burn 6000 calories a day and your BMR was say 2000 a day.you would net under 4000 calories, then you would have to eat calories back because you would be so fatigued and hungry by then it would be a miracle if you didnt faint. extreme exercise is just as unhealthy as eating too little calories.weight loss isnt meant to be fast,if you want to be healthy lose it at a decent sustainable rate.even if a person were to eat 2500 calories a day(leaving BMR out of the equation) and then burned 6000 calories,yes would be 3500 calories.But you dont want to lose a lb a day(if you did that every day) or even more than twice a week.and your body would retain a lot of water from all that excessive exercise. its unhealthy either way because you are putting your body and health at risk by excessive stress from too much exercise and not getting proper nutrients from eating too little.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The author of this article details the source and math regarding a daily fat burn limit of 31 calories per pound of body fat, per day. If you're running a higher deficit than that, you're likely achieving weight loss through reduction of lean body mass. Who wants that?!

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Rapid_Fat_Loss_What_is_the_Maximum_Rate_of_Fat_loss.cfm
  • unawind
    unawind Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    vnieves605 wrote: »
    Any tips? Please share! I have hit a plateau! Thanks

Cut off a limb? That's impossible unless you're already class 3 obese or beyond, on a medically supervised very low calorie diet.