Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

How is counting the macros different than counting calories?

This is the burning question I want to know. . As I said upthread, counting macros seems more indepth than counting calories. And if you're counting macros then you're also counting calories by default.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I'm seeing the trend that it's either count calories or get fat. Part of also what I do is just make sure my pantry is stocked with whole food. Sure I may indulge in some processed foods once in a while but I don't keep it in my home too often. I'd say my fridge and pantry is stocked with like 85% whole nutrient dense foods, and 15% processed food (Doritos and chocolate sometimes as I enjoy these every one in a while). Anyone else consider this method instead?

Same here except I count my calories. a lot of WHOLE foods can pack a caloric punch. Lets face it none of us got to being overweight or obese by eating the suggested serving amount.

A person can get in a caloric surplus eating WHOLE food or by "eating clean" The point is to get in a deficit to lose how does one know for sure they are in a healthy deficit unless they track?

If not tracking works for you, great. This is a tracking community. We track every day some days not on weekends, take long periods away from it but we know what works for us, tracking deficit over a period of time.

By results.

If one is losing steadily as expected then one is in a healthy deficit, whether tracking or not tracking.

I know I am eating the right amount for maitenance because my weight level is being maintained - hasn't varied by more than 3 kg, (1.5kg either side of target) in over 2 years.

"We know what works for us" - yes, what I am doing, which is anything but tight logging, works for me.

• MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

How is counting the macros different than counting calories?

This is the burning question I want to know. . As I said upthread, counting macros seems more indepth than counting calories. And if you're counting macros then you're also counting calories by default.

A little back story on my counting macros. If you use any fitness app, plugging in macros also results in counting calories by default. Before my fitnesspal, I just wrote down my macros for the day on paper or something. Basically, i'd look at the nutrition label, get the carbs, fat, and protein, and just wrote them down on a sheet of paper. I didn't really care about the calories. After discovering myfitnesspals, it was cool to see how many calories I was actually consuming. Nowadays, I'm just more "aware" of my macro/calorie intake. I use myfitnesspal VERY loosely. Basically I just shifted to eating more whole foods, eat lots of protein to spare muscle, and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables that keep me energized. Keep in mind that whole foods take more calories to digest than processed food. Just because you ate 100 calories of celery doesn't mean you're body will absorb all of it. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between consuming 2000 calories consisting of protein, high fiber, and whole grains foods compared to 2000 calories of processed food like chips or doughnuts. People fail to take into account the metabolizable energy, digestion, fiber, fecal/urine excretion, and gaseous exchanges.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    No. I honestly quite like it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely do not count every calorie. I have no idea how people weigh their food as well. It just seems too obsessive for me. I estimate and have still lost weight. I'm more for the lifestyle change not a strict diet that makes me feel like my life revolves around it. I am not very overweight so I guess I don't really feel the need to. It works for some though so not bashing anyone who does.

You use a food scale, takes about 2 seconds? What don't you understand about this (sincerely asking).

It also takes a couple of seconds to log in calories, but hardly anyone does it consistently based on the fact that 2/3 of America is overweight and a 1/3 of America is obese. It also takes a couple seconds to log in purchases into finance apps like mint, yet the average household is roughly 15,000 in credit card debt. You have successfully built the habit of weighing your food and that's great! For others, it may be a challenge.

Some people may have "invisible barriers" that they may not be aware of that may prevent them from successfully building habits such as weighing. For example, maybe someone's kitchen is chronically messy and you can never find the saran wrap, so people may not want to weigh raw meat on top of the scale. Maybe there's not enough counter space to leave the weighing scale out consistently, so every time you may need to keep putting out and taking away the weighing scale which takes energy and time. People who work intense long hours may come home hungry at the end of the day to five screaming hungry kids, so weighing every ingredient can be an obstacle.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely do not count every calorie. I have no idea how people weigh their food as well. It just seems too obsessive for me. I estimate and have still lost weight. I'm more for the lifestyle change not a strict diet that makes me feel like my life revolves around it. I am not very overweight so I guess I don't really feel the need to. It works for some though so not bashing anyone who does.

You don't have much to lose, so your eating habits are probably healthier in the first place than some of us... so I can see how it wouldn't be a big deal for you not to log/weigh.

To be honest, I understand where you come from and I'm sure that most people think that it's obsessive too. .. heck I am embarrassed about it and avoid doing it in front of people. My eating habits and hunger are messed up though so it's that or being fat.

This comment above, sometimes it is embarrassment that prevents someone from weighing or building any habit. When I was out with the guys, everyone ordered either a beer or soda, but when I ordered water, of course I'd get teased or made fun of, so ordering water can at times be anxiety provoking depending on the company.

Everyone has their own personal invisible barriers no matter how silly or trivial they may be, including myself, ReaderGirl3. I'm sure you can identify some of your own as well, and when you understand them, then you can really make an impact on changing your habits. Hope this answers your question!

I forget If you were the one I asked why jump to a certain conclusion, but if so, then I doubly don't understand these leaps you keep making about entire populations. Now you're linking obesity to lack of interest or ability to use a food scale? Why not just say what, if anything, you find limiting about it? You'd be stating your own opinion based on your experience and not making any guesses or assumptions about anyone else
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

You use a food scale, takes about 2 seconds? What don't you understand about this (sincerely asking).

It also takes a couple of seconds to log in calories, but hardly anyone does it consistently based on the fact that 2/3 of America is overweight and a 1/3 of America is obese. It also takes a couple seconds to log in purchases into finance apps like mint, yet the average household is roughly 15,000 in credit card debt. You have successfully built the habit of weighing your food and that's great! For others, it may be a challenge.

Some people may have "invisible barriers" that they may not be aware of that may prevent them from successfully building habits such as weighing. For example, maybe someone's kitchen is chronically messy and you can never find the saran wrap, so people may not want to weigh raw meat on top of the scale. Maybe there's not enough counter space to leave the weighing scale out consistently, so every time you may need to keep putting out and taking away the weighing scale which takes energy and time. People who work intense long hours may come home hungry at the end of the day to five screaming hungry kids, so weighing every ingredient can be an obstacle.

You don't have much to lose, so your eating habits are probably healthier in the first place than some of us... so I can see how it wouldn't be a big deal for you not to log/weigh.

To be honest, I understand where you come from and I'm sure that most people think that it's obsessive too. .. heck I am embarrassed about it and avoid doing it in front of people. My eating habits and hunger are messed up though so it's that or being fat.

This comment above, sometimes it is embarrassment that prevents someone from weighing or building any habit. When I was out with the guys, everyone ordered either a beer or soda, but when I ordered water, of course I'd get teased or made fun of, so ordering water can at times be anxiety provoking depending on the company.

Everyone has their own personal invisible barriers no matter how silly or trivial they may be, including myself, ReaderGirl3. I'm sure you can identify some of your own as well, and when you understand them, then you can really make an impact on changing your habits. Hope this answers your question!

I just put my raw meat on a place on the scale... then put the plate in the dishwasher, lol.

And I guess it can be odd to order water when everyone's drinking, but I don't drink and it's NEVER been an issue for me. Probably easier said than done, but if someone teased me about my eating or drinking choices, I don't think I'd care for their company anymore.

I mean I know we all have our struggles, but in the end it often seems like a case of 'not wanting it enough to make the change' (I don't like the term 'excuses').
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Counting, logging and weighing have become second nature to me. I don't hate it , don't adore it its just something I do.
    I am getting closer to goal and to me every cal matters. I weigh salad stuff so I can have more of the other things I love.
    I also, even though I've been doing it for a while now, am rubbish at eyeballing, especially calorie dense foods. Low cal high volume foods I'm fine with.
    Also by logging everything I don't worry so much at weekends when life happens and I want to go out or have takeout as I usually have calories banked and can see the numbers - for the first time the maths I like.
    It's a process that I can trust to get the results I want and at no inconvenience to me personally so, I'll keep weighing and tracking thanks .
  • Francl27
    Options
    Counting, logging and weighing have become second nature to me. I don't hate it , don't adore it its just something I do.
    I am getting closer to goal and to me every cal matters. I weigh salad stuff so I can have more of the other things I love.
    I also, even though I've been doing it for a while now, am rubbish at eyeballing, especially calorie dense foods. Low cal high volume foods I'm fine with.
    Also by logging everything I don't worry so much at weekends when life happens and I want to go out or have takeout as I usually have calories banked and can see the numbers - for the first time the maths I like.
    It's a process that I can trust to get the results I want and at no inconvenience to me personally so, I'll keep weighing and tracking thanks .

Pretty much. I don't like brushing my teeth either, but I kinda have to... lol.
  • MynameisChester
    Options

I just put my raw meat on a place on the scale... then put the plate in the dishwasher, lol.

And I guess it can be odd to order water when everyone's drinking, but I don't drink and it's NEVER been an issue for me. Probably easier said than done, but if someone teased me about my eating or drinking choices, I don't think I'd care for their company anymore.

I mean I know we all have our struggles, but in the end it often seems like a case of 'not wanting it enough to make the change' (I don't like the term 'excuses').

The situation may not apply to you about being teased, but what if you were being teased by close family or friends? How does one handle those situations?

In regards to people not wanting it enough, do you think that's really often the case? How about people who are in poverty working multiple jobs just to feed their family. I'm sure they want to live a more manageable lifestyle. Do they just don't want it enough either? I'm genuinely curious.
  • MynameisChester
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I forget If you were the one I asked why jump to a certain conclusion, but if so, then I doubly don't understand these leaps you keep making about entire populations. Now you're linking obesity to lack of interest or ability to use a food scale? Why not just say what, if anything, you find limiting about it? You'd be stating your own opinion based on your experience and not making any guesses or assumptions about anyone else

Here on this forum, there are thousands of posts stating, "I counted calories, lost weight. Stopped counting, gained it all back. Now I'm back for support." Other forums state that as well. If you google "hate counting calories," you find that there is a huge population out there that despises counting calories. I'm making observations. In this thread alone, it's pretty mixed regarding people liking/disliking calories. I'm wanting to explore the reasons why calorie counting is difficult, why people like it, or why people hate it. If anything, I wish you could just weigh a plate of food on a super advance weighing scale that calculated the calories and macros on the plate. Imagine that sort of technology!
  • MynameisChester
    Options
    ^^

If you can also please highlight where exactly I linked obesity to lack of interest or ability to use a food scale, that would be helpful.
  • Francl27
    edited April 2016
    Options

The situation may not apply to you about being teased, but what if you were being teased by close family or friends? How does one handle those situations?

In regards to people not wanting it enough, do you think that's really often the case? How about people who are in poverty working multiple jobs just to feed their family. I'm sure they want to live a more manageable lifestyle. Do they just don't want it enough either? I'm genuinely curious.

Who's talking about lifestyle? Losing weight is about diet. You can absolutely lose weight on a budget. It's all about CICO... Just buy beans and oatmeal instead of mac'n cheese, or heck, eat less mac'n cheese and guess what? It will be cheaper too... Barring health issues, it's ALL down to willpower.

And please. Saying that it takes too long to log is just an excuse. Just say you don't want to bother... which is fine, really. Just don't come complaining that you can't lose weight when you have no idea how much you are really eating... It really only take 5 minutes and I highly doubt that people don't have 5 minutes to spare. (using a generic 'you' here).

And yes it sucks to be teased but then 1) don't put yourself in those situations in the first place, 2) just suck it up. If people want it enough, they can make it happen.. that's the bottom line.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    ^^

If you can also please highlight where exactly I linked obesity to lack of interest or ability to use a food scale, that would be helpful.

Sorry, I did use 'food scale' and log in calories mentioned by you previously interchageably. Technically, they are not
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't mind doing it. Technology makes it pretty easy. However, I wish I didn't have to do it. Unfortunately, I have no "off switch" when it comes to food. If you present me with a large quantity of a food that I love, I will plow through it. I have no satiety cues. So I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be doing this forever. And I'm OK with that.

I couldn't of said it better myself!!
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough, I actually love counting calories.
    Because it makes me feel in control. I am in control of my health. I am proving to myself I can do this.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Here on this forum, there are thousands of posts stating, "I counted calories, lost weight. Stopped counting, gained it all back. Now I'm back for support." Other forums state that as well. If you google "hate counting calories," you find that there is a huge population out there that despises counting calories. I'm making observations. In this thread alone, it's pretty mixed regarding people liking/disliking calories. I'm wanting to explore the reasons why calorie counting is difficult, why people like it, or why people hate it. If anything, I wish you could just weigh a plate of food on a super advance weighing scale that calculated the calories and macros on the plate. Imagine that sort of technology!

Thank you for patiently restating your goals with this discussion. Somehow I gravitated to just one person (you), as against a population inquiry

I'd be curious too to know what percentage of the population hates calorie counting. You theorize that it's the majority, but I find that a bit hard to believe - no real reason! Possibly just my biased view From being on a calorie counting website where a lot of posters are proficient in using the app and web tools in logging their calories

I will say, though, that losing weight and keeping it off ain't no cake walk. There are many methods out there, and all we can hope is that each individual fights tooth and nail to find a method that's a good fit for them until they achieve their goals. Even if it takes multiple tries, and even if they have to switch methods
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I'm patiently waiting for that sort of technology! Although I don't mind counting calories, this would take it to a 'no excuse" level.

http://www.geglobalresearch.com/blog/calorie-counting-made-easy
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be close....so you I don't have to count all activity or can be ok to estimate food as necessary. You get a sense of a set up that works for you. To measure every single calorie or record every single step would drive me crazy.
  • cfritch26
    cfritch26 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I actually don't mind it. I have been trying to meal plan and prep...so I usually log the night before and bring everything I'm allowed to work with me in my ISO Bag. It doesn't take any more than 10 minutes to get everything logged after prepping, so it doesn't bother me too much. I like losing the weight and making progress a heck of a lot more than I find the calorie counting irritating!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I got pretty good at estimating and eating consistently. Probably doesn't work for everyone but once I made some changes in my life, consistently lifted weights and did some cardio, paid attention to how much I ate....things just fell in place. I do fluctuate about 15 lbs (on my frame that isn't noticeable to most people but me!)

I do not really log anymore, but will admit to getting strict when I feel like things are slipping a little. Logging every morsel of food was a necessary evil for many months however. It taught me the discipline and opened my eyes to sneaky calories and poor eating habits.