Initial Goal Weight Reached - 269 lbs to 200 lbs - PICS

Options
mhiggi02
mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
Well I started this journey in mid-January of this year. I was 43 years old, 269 lbs, out of shape, on the verge of type 2 diabetes (I was showing signs of insulin resistance), high cholesterol, borderline high blood pressure, pain in my knees when going up/down just one flight of stairs. I drank virtually no water but loaded up on coffee with creamer and artificial sweetener and a boat load of Diet Coke. Essentially, I was a big, fat mess.

20120618-270.jpg

Me and my girls in NYC last summer. I'm at 270

I had allowed myself to drift into a lethargic existence. And I had plenty of "good" reasons for it too: (1) I've got a big, important, executive job that takes much of my time (2) I have a 40 minute commute each way to work each day (3) I need some "me" time relaxing in front of the TV (4) I'm tired after my busy days at work (5) I like to treat myself when I go out to eat. Whatever! They were all excuses from a fat, out of shape, unmotivated 40-something has been. This isn't negative self-talk, it's candid, honest self-talk.

20121215-270.jpg

On our way to the Jingleball concert, Dec 2012 - 269 lbs

I was on anti-anxiety meds, cholesterol meds, topical creams for my complexion (was diagnosed with Rosacea & Seborrheic Dermatitis), and Testosterone injections as well as being diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and using a CPAP machine.

My wife and two great friends of mine really encouraged me to do something about it all. My friends are both very fit, run, cycle, swim, surf, etc. In early January, they suggested that we put a running race on the calendar so I'd have something to work towards. We registered that night for a 3K race two months later in early March. I was scared to death as I really had trouble running across the street much less 3K (1.8 miles).

One of those same friends also introduced me to myfitnesspal.com. I started using it immediately, logging everything I put into my mouth. I was very honest with myself and didn't cheat - I erred on the side of over-logging vs. under-logging calories. What an education that was! As I started managing my daily caloric budget, I started to make better choices, eating leaner meats and many more fruits and veggies while virtually eliminating all processed foods. That same friend turned me on to a Vitamix machine and the pure power of green smoothies. I bought a Vitamix (not cheap but oh so worth it!) and started drinking green smoothies with vegan rice protein powder in them at least 5 days per week for breakfast.

I started to train for the race taking a walk/run approach. I tried a couch to 5K program but it was too aggressive for me at first, I just couldn't do the running piece as I got horrible shin splints. My same two friends recommended a book to me, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

This book changed everything for me! Besides being an entertaining read, it introduced me to mid- and fore-foot striking when running vs. the classic heal-striking gait most of us have. I continued my studies reading about natural running, chi running and barefoot running (check YouTube). Changing to a mid-/fore-foot strike changed everything. I no longer experienced shin splints. Now I was battling my calf muscles and my general cardio capacity (or lack of). I began walking/running more (4 days/wk) and completed that 3K race without stopping to walk.

088.jpg

Crossing the finish (right next to an old lady)

040.jpg

My motivators/mentors

We registered and I completed a 2-mile race a month later and I was impressed with my improved time. It was a fun pirate-themed event, the Pirate Plunder.

IMG_1368.jpg

Our crew at the starting line

But, my ankle was killing me! After no real improvement after a week or so, I went to see an orthopedic for x-rays and an MRI. My fat, overweight body (which puts 2 to 3 times it's mass onto your body when running) actually caused a stress fracture in my left ankle. I was benched from running for at least 6 weeks and was soooo disappointed and scared of losing ground (and gaining weight).

Not wanting to give up (I was really making good weight loss progress by this time) I started riding my bike, a beach cruiser, instead of running for those 6 weeks. I realized that I really liked biking and was encouraged by my other buddy to consider cycling. He even lent me an extra road bike to try. Wow, what a difference compared to my beach cruiser!! Those thinner tires and the more ergonomic and aerodynamic riding position allowed me to ride much faster and longer (and to burn many more calories :))! Two weeks later I was the proud owner of a used Specialized carbon-fiber road bike (if you decide to get one make sure you get properly sized/fit!). As my ankle healed I continued with both running and cycling and found myself exercising 6 days/week and loving it!

Day before yesterday I reached my initial goal weight of 200 lbs (OK just below it).

1sttimeunder200pdf.jpg

It was a very happy day and gave me a TREMENDOUS sense of accomplishment, it really did. When I started, at 269 lbs, I picked 200 lbs as a goal weight just because it was a nice round number and was a heck of a long way from where I was. As I've now reached that weight, I've decided I want to go to 185 lbs. I'm 5'9" so that's hardly too low.

I now consider myself a runner and a cyclist. I completed my first 5K race this morning and beat my goal of finishing in less than 30 minutes (did it in 29 min 19 sec).

IMAG0078.jpg

My friend and I at the start

IMG_3117.jpg

The crew after the race

IMG_3119.jpg

Yup, that's a bloody nipple

I now only drink black coffee in the mornings, 80-120 oz of water daily and usually a daily cup of green tea. I haven't put a drop of Diet Coke into my body since mid-January and never will again. As of mid-April, I'm done with all artificial sweeteners. I'm now off of all of my meds, all of them. My cholesterol and blood pressure are normal. My body started making testosterone again. My complexion is clear - I guess the trash I was eating and drinking was the problem, not Rosacea or Seborrheic Dermatitis. I'm waiting to schedule a sleep study until I get to 185 but I'm hopeful that my sleep apnea will have either significantly improved or disappeared. I just got a new suit last week and went from a 50 to 42 jacket, a 19 to 15.5 shirt, and 42 to 34 pants. For t-shirts and polo shirts, I went from 2XL to L.

I'm registered for a fun triathlon in October and a sprint triathlon in November. I will always log my food and exercise in myfitnesspal.com, even after I reach 185. It just works for me and helps me feel in control. I am grateful for this tool, for my family who has supported me, and for those two awesome friends that have been such a tremendous source of inspiration and motivation for me. Collectively, all of these things/people have totally changed my life and, no doubt, improved the quality and length of it.

Here's a timeline in pics:

20130306-254.jpg

254 lbs

20130325-244.jpg

244 lbs

20130419-230.jpg

230 lbs

20130505-2242-1.jpg

224.2 lbs - notice I'm starting to smile in these pics now

20130517-216jpg.jpg

216 lbs

20130601-2106jpg.jpg

210.6 lbs

20130630-201.jpg

201 lbs

1986.jpg

This is me a few minutes ago at 198.6. I'm not quite there yet but I will be.

Stick with it. You can do it. It's worth it.

Peace,
Michael

Replies

• TamAUH
    TamAUH Posts: 20
    Options
    u look great! nice inspirational story
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What a great story - you look fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    These are the stories that make going to this site and logging everything worth it.
    Thanks for writing such a great and detailed journey.
    I am bookmarking this one because your story rocks!
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Tremendous!!! You look happy, healthy and even more handsome!
    SO glad you are off all of your meds! They are expensive and if effective, usually have all kinds of side effects!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Awesome job, especially since you were able to kick those meds to the curb!
  • shaunbeit
    shaunbeit Posts: 2
    Options
    You look great! You are such an inspiration by reading about your journey. I'm 42 yrs. of age and my weight and health is very similar. Only to say that I'm a woman so imagine the unbearable weight. I will be happy when the day comes for me to feel an accomplishment.

Sincerely,

shaunbeit
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story - What a success you must be so proud of yourself!

You now have given so many people the belief that it is possible - Well done

I thought I was doing ok losing 27 lbs but 69 lbs !!!! WoW!!!!!

Keep up the good work
  • bkciddir
    bkciddir Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. You look like an entirely different person, which makes sense, because you really ARE after all the changes in your life. Congratulations !
  • JAE1775
    JAE1775 Posts: 9
    Options
    Congrats and great work. I think it's great that in your timeline of pics you seem happier and happier.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    what a stunning story.......what I like is the honesty and integrity to realise what your previous eating habits were doing to you

As a fellow runner and cyclist if you ever want to cycle from London to Paris let me know....but you will need to get down to about 180 first :)

All the very best

Fantastic achievement for you and moreover you wife and daughters

Stu1102 (UK)
  • PeterMS1
    PeterMS1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, helps me to realise I can do it
  • PeterMS1
    PeterMS1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, helps me to realise I can do it:smile:
  • nighthawke
    nighthawke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Amazing story man. You've done a tremendous job.
  • blizzardsmom
    blizzardsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow you look awesome!!! What an inspirational story :-)
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic story - I really enjoyed reading that. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing. People like you are who motivate me to stick with it, even after a rough week or two.
  • jaksmom060567
    jaksmom060567 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. I read these success stories and it gives me hope that it can be achieved.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Great success story - enjoy your success you deserve it :drinker:
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    awesome story!! Love how your smile and confidence grew in the photos :)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic success story. Your family must be thrilled by your success. You are going to be around for so much longer to share their lives. Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!