Real Food

Anabug81
Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
I was just wondering who else eats REAL FOOD? No shakes, bars, or meal replacement anything, but real food.

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Me. My diary's open.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I don't think putting foods into a blender or into a bar shape somehow makes them less real than foods that haven't been blended or are prepared in other shapes.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    ksfXIAU.png
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    If you can eat it and it has nutritional value (macros/micros), then it's food.

Pretty sure every single person on MFP eats real food.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    I do, u can add me, but I do one shake for breakfast, the rest is real food.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Me. A few times a week I make a smoothie for breakfast with whey protein powder, frozen fruit, milk, and greek yogurt. I think that still counts as real though.

I don't much care for bars of anything unless they are true candy bars. My snacks are usually yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, or nuts.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,723 Member
    Like "real" vs "waxed"?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Virtual only.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    How are shakes and bars not "real food"? Particularly if they're homemade and made with said "real food"? Does the process turn that food into something fake?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    False dichotomy. Anyway, I occasionally put some protein powder in my oatmeal and have been known to eat a protein bar as an easy snack. I also use gels when running/biking/doing tris, sometimes.

Does this mean I don't eat real food? The eggs and kale and fish I ate this morning will be sad that they are fake. (I'm not actually sure why whey is fake either. Are cheese curds also fake? Or was Little Miss Muffet eating both real and fake foods?)
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    I try to follow a whole food plant based diet during the week and on the weekends I eat with the husband so we eat meat, breads, spuds, junkfood and drink beer or wine. I do not touch the bars and shakes, unless it's something I make myself. I don't like the chemicals. The more I learn about how food is processed, the less I want to eat anything that's prepared when bought at the store. I won't eat shredded cheese anymore either because it's coated with chemicals to keep it from clumping together. I don't get obsessive about it, but I do my best. That being said, I do relax on the weekends so I don't drive my husband nuts.

I would eat the bars if I make them myself or know what's in them. There are a couple brands that are made with whole foods but taste like chalk. I won't supplement a meal with a shake though, it just won't fill me up. I need substance and texture to feel satisfied.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    I was just wondering who else eats REAL FOOD? No shakes, bars, or meal replacement anything, but real food.

I don't eat or drink diet meal replacements. I am not anti processed foods if that is what you mean by real food.
    I cook every day and eat regular food. My diary is open. I post my meal plan and some recipes on my blog. https://lounmoun.wordpress.com/
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Real food rots :smiley:

funny-meal-Mc-Donalds-watermelon.jpg
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Do you mean home cooked or self prepared food?

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I love food, so I would never replace any of my meals :D Sometimes I blend up a smoothie made from real food. It has chemicals, but it's still real food. I don't buy shakes or bars though, at least not regularly.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    I was referring to food that has not been processed like most meal replacement shakes and bars. I'm not passing judgement I was just asking a simple question.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It doesn't bother me if you have determined that some people are eating "fake" food, but let's not pretend that it's a non-judgmental term.

Given that virtually all of us eat *some* type of processed food, it might be easier to just ask about people who are avoiding meal replacement shakes and bars instead of using euphemisms that aren't as clear.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Uh oh, you just said "real food" on the main forum. Be prepared for lots of feigned ignorance and sarcasm.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    99 percent of my food is not supplement/powder.....I do have bars that I eat if I am In a hurry.
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2016
    Do you mean protein powders and other supplements?

I make an effort to eat all whole foods (not powders or supplements) with as little processing as I can manage (unless I bake it myself - only with my one ingredient protein powder). Sometimes this works out, sometimes it doesn't. This isn't a judgment on anyone who gets by on bars or any other processed foods, if it works for you, then do you! For me however, after years of struggling with my weight, find eating whole foods I need to chew keeps me fuller longer and to have less scary science-y ingredients. For me it's more about the ingredients (I'm allergic to a lot of gums that are in like everything) so it's more a matter of circumstance than anything else.

I was actually nerdily pumped when I found a protein powder with one ingredient, whey protein, and now I can bake my own "protein" muffins without the weirdly sweet chalky flavors of the other protein powders I've used in the past. I guess that's technically a supplement, but for me it's all about the ingredients and what is realistic.