Real Food

Replies

• Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Thanks @AlabasterVerve .
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    I was referring to food that has not been processed like most meal replacement shakes and bars. I'm not passing judgement I was just asking a simple question.

I'm still a bit confused-do you mean thinks like Slim Fast, Shakeology etc? Or are you referring to things like Lean Cuisines and McDonalds?

I don't do shakes/bars etc, but I do frequently eat fast food, some frozen dinners (love the Boston Market ones) etc.

Not sure what you're looking for with this post?

Hey now, Lean Cuisine is how I get my mac n cheese fix. Mmm vermont white cheddary pasta.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    ksfXIAU.png

Hey...Deng Xiaoping died!

Nice!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Afura wrote: »
    I was referring to food that has not been processed like most meal replacement shakes and bars. I'm not passing judgement I was just asking a simple question.

I'm still a bit confused-do you mean thinks like Slim Fast, Shakeology etc? Or are you referring to things like Lean Cuisines and McDonalds?

I don't do shakes/bars etc, but I do frequently eat fast food, some frozen dinners (love the Boston Market ones) etc.

Not sure what you're looking for with this post?

Hey now, Lean Cuisine is how I get my mac n cheese fix. Mmm vermont white cheddary pasta.

I was a LC fan, until I discovered the Boston Market ones-no going back after that lol.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It doesn't bother me if you have determined that some people are eating "fake" food, but let's not pretend that it's a non-judgmental term.

Given that virtually all of us eat *some* type of processed food, it might be easier to just ask about people who are avoiding meal replacement shakes and bars instead of using euphemisms that aren't as clear.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the thread. I eat a protein bar for my 3pm snack at the office, so I let this thread pass by. But if it's just about not using meal replacements then my answer might have been different (I hated Slim Fast).

I see this is quickly becoming a clean eating thread, though, so I'll drop this link and go: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10337480/what-is-clean-eating
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Real food rots :smiley:

funny-meal-Mc-Donalds-watermelon.jpg

Do it again with a dried piece of fruit and see if that rots.
    Or a pickled food.
    It's called the magic of preservation and we've known about this for like 10000 years or so.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

You don't drink milk then?

Raw milk isn't processed.

And about 150 times more likely to give you some sort of food poisoning.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Or a pickled food.
    It's called the magic of preservation and we've known about this for like 10000 years or so.

Honey, I believe, will never rot.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Well done
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,723 Member

Or a pickled food.

Honey, I believe, will never rot.

But, darling....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    So interestingly - I don't usually eat bars, protein shakes, or meal replacements. I do eat a wide variety of foods including whole foods that I cook from scratch as well as minimally processed and ultra processed foods like frozen meals or other convenience foods.

So I don't know how that fits within your "real foods" definition. It's all just food to me.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member

I wonder how farmers survived all those years drinking their cows milk before pasteurization. You can also get food poisoning from bad vegetables, meat, fish, eggs . . . well, pretty much anything that you consume. Never mind the fact that the process is 150 times more sterile than it was back in those good ole' farm days. I grew up on raw milk and have drank it for years. Haven't died yet.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,723 Member
    I cook maybe twice a year so I eat processed foods. A LOT of processed foods. I eat protein bars and use protein powder as a mix in for cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I eat mini candy bars and cereals and granola bars and turkey jerky that I didn't dehydrate myself. I eat mini cookies that are in a tub from Trader Joe's. A day (for now) doesn't go by that I don't eat an oreo or two. :)

I also eat fruit (so people think I don't eat all "crap" all the time :))
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited April 2016

My diet consists largely of whole foods and minimally processed foods with a few exceptions. I've never had a meal replacement shake...I do supplement with whey to help me hit my protein targets and I eat Cliff Bars when I'm hiking or otherwise out in the woods for hours on end fishing or whatever because it's reasonably good nutrition and easily portable...but other than that, I eat heaping piles of veg, a couple servings of fruit, whole grains, legumes, lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats, lots of chicken and fish, and some lean cuts of beef and pork.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2016

I wonder how farmers survived all those years drinking their cows milk before pasteurization. You can also get food poisoning from bad vegetables, meat, fish, eggs . . . well, pretty much anything that you consume. Never mind the fact that the process is 150 times more sterile than it was back in those good ole' farm days. I grew up on raw milk and have drank it for years. Haven't died yet.

We know how people fared in the days before pasteurization -- it wasn't pre-history. Illness was common, especially for people who were drinking milk that had been transported (cows were often kept in urban areas to minimize risk to city-dwellers). That's why pasteurization was adopted -- milk was widely recognized as a common source of illness.

Milk is now considered a very safe food. This is a recent development.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I eat FiberOne Bars... so I guess not. Am I gonna die? :(
    JK. I think I know what you mean though. Like, no meal replacements, which tend to be expensive or don't taste terribly great, etc.

I eat a plethora of foods, processed and otherwise. I don't discriminate with foods, except the foods I really hate... like Liver, Melon, seafood, etc.

Love Fiber One bars, been eating them most every day for 2 years or more and I am not dead yet. ;)

I love fiber one anything but can't eat it because of...reasons. :)

are you kidding? that's half the fun
  • cwolfman13

If you live on or near a farm or otherwise don't have to have the milk transported over distances, it's usually fine...unfortunately, there are a lot of places that aren't anywhere near a farm where they can get raw milk without it being transported and stored which leads to issues...why the hell do you think pasteurization came about in the first place...to make it safe for the overall population.

When I lived in BFE Nebraska we got raw milk too...from the farm down the road...and it was a pretty small bottle that we would drink within a few days.

I live in the city now...I can't even tell you where the nearest dairy farm is...where the frick would I get raw milk safely?
  • cwolfman13
    I used to eat Cliff and Kind bars.

These have there place...I don't eat them often, but Cliff Bars kick *kitten* when out on a 6 hour hike in the mountains...or out fishing in the woods for hours on end. They have a pretty good nutritional profile too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I was just wondering who else eats REAL FOOD? No shakes, bars, or meal replacement anything, but real food.

The Clean Eating Group is one of the most popular groups on MFP so I imagine a lot of people do. If you're looking for like minded people I'd start there. :smile:

IME, lots of people on MFP who like to talk about what clean eaters they are also eat protein powder.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was just wondering who else eats REAL FOOD? No shakes, bars, or meal replacement anything, but real food.

The Clean Eating Group is one of the most popular groups on MFP so I imagine a lot of people do. If you're looking for like minded people I'd start there. :smile:

IME, lots of people on MFP who like to talk about what clean eaters they are also eat protein powder.

True but she'll avoid all of the fake/plastic/waxed idiocy -- a hur dur dur.