Real Food

Options
1235»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I live in the city now...I can't even tell you where the nearest dairy farm is...where the frick would I get raw milk safely?

Probably at a health food store. Farmers can get certified to sell raw milk

In most states, probably not. I believe here the rule is that you can only buy it direct on the farm, and even that is a liberalization of the restrictions. That said, I live in a big city and it's not difficult to find a dairy farm that sells it a reasonable distance away, but that's going to depend on the city.

Retail sales of raw milk are illegal in my state. Farmers can't even sell it at the Farmer's Market, although I believe there is a bill being considered that would allow it (not sure what the chances are of it passing).

I'm actually curious about this...I'm going to check on line to see if there is a dairy farm around here...I live in the city and also in the desert...not much of any kind of farms around here except for chile peppers...and we grow some good wine grapes in the Rio Grande valley...but mostly chiles and I've never seen raw milk being sold at any of the farmer's markets.

I used to love the raw milk growing up...I've never seen it at any of the markets I go to (wild oats, sprouts, whole foods, etc)...so I'm curious.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There's a reason raw milk is not legal in most places - it can really make you sick!!!!

I don't understand the obsession with protein powders, but I'm also not a body builder.

I do make smoothies, but they are made with mostly whole ingredients - frozen fruit, vegetables, hemp hearts, chia seeds, etc. The exception is that I usually use almond milk to add creaminess and for the calcium.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Edit: My comment has already been covered - will try harder to read complete thread before adding my 2 cents.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I live in the city now...I can't even tell you where the nearest dairy farm is...where the frick would I get raw milk safely?

In most states, probably not. I believe here the rule is that you can only buy it direct on the farm, and even that is a liberalization of the restrictions. That said, I live in a big city and it's not difficult to find a dairy farm that sells it a reasonable distance away, but that's going to depend on the city.

Retail sales of raw milk are illegal in my state. Farmers can't even sell it at the Farmer's Market, although I believe there is a bill being considered that would allow it (not sure what the chances are of it passing).

I'm actually curious about this...I'm going to check on line to see if there is a dairy farm around here...I live in the city and also in the desert...not much of any kind of farms around here except for chile peppers...and we grow some good wine grapes in the Rio Grande valley...but mostly chiles and I've never seen raw milk being sold at any of the farmer's markets.

I used to love the raw milk growing up...I've never seen it at any of the markets I go to (wild oats, sprouts, whole foods, etc)...so I'm curious.

In my state it's illegal for farmers to sell direct to the public, so some get around the law by selling 'cow shares', where you actually 'buy' part of a dairy cow. There's a farm near me who does this and then they sell the rest of their milk to Horizon dairy.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do. My Diary is open. Feel free to add me and take a look.
  • gigieatss
    gigieatss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ME! Real food is the ONLY WAY... And honestly... It's the ONLY THING that will keep me FULL!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    0002220_real-food.png
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ME! Real food is the ONLY WAY... And honestly... It's the ONLY THING that will keep me FULL!

WRONG!! ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

In my state it's illegal for farmers to sell direct to the public, so some get around the law by selling 'cow shares', where you actually 'buy' part of a dairy cow. There's a farm near me who does this and then they sell the rest of their milk to Horizon dairy.

After some googling I've found one place so far in the entire state that sells raw milk...it is a small farm in a village called Bosque Farms and they have a small farm store where they sell their milk. It would be about an hour at least round trip from my house...I may give it a whirl sometime, but an hour + round trip to buy 1/2 gallon of milk isn't happening on any kind of routine basis. My guess is that it's probably pretty pricey too...and the way my two boys go through milk I could see things getting out of hand. I'm pretty sure we're going to be ok with our Kirkland 1%...
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't think putting foods into a blender or into a bar shape somehow makes them less real than foods that haven't been blended or are prepared in other shapes.

I agree.

That being said. I don't do protein shakes or smoothies. I only eat real food. If you would like to add me as a friend you can view my diary and get ideas. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I don't think putting foods into a blender or into a bar shape somehow makes them less real than foods that haven't been blended or are prepared in other shapes.

I agree.

That being said. I don't do protein shakes or smoothies. I only eat real food. If you would like to add me as a friend you can view my diary and get ideas. :)

Why is a protein shake "unreal"? Why is a smoothie "unreal"? A smoothie is just blended . . . food.

I'm not really looking for ideas of what to eat, but thanks.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

I agree.

After a nice 30+ mile ride I sometimes like to make myself a smoothie to get my recovery going...especially for summer rides It consists of 8 ounces of Greek Yogurt, 3 ounces of mixed berries, 1/2 ounce of almonds, some honey, and ice.

Where's the not real food at in the smoothie?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

WRONG!! ;)

RIGHT!! (To your "WRONG!!" comment. :))
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options
    There's a reason raw milk is not legal in most places - it can really make you sick!!!!

I don't understand the obsession with protein powders, but I'm also not a body builder.

I do make smoothies, but they are made with mostly whole ingredients - frozen fruit, vegetables, hemp hearts, chia seeds, etc. The exception is that I usually use almond milk to add creaminess and for the calcium.

Protein powder isn't just for body builders. It can be a convenient way to get protein in when or if you can't have "real" food.
  • Solimay
    Solimay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been a real food eater awhile and recently ramped up to raw juicing on weekends - for me its all been positive. Eating foods withOUT a label attached has benefited me greatly health wise.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    ha... tell my vega one nutritional drink that is made with 100% "real food" its not real.

Can I also tell it it tastes bad? ;-)

I really, really wanted to like it -- I'm looking for a tasty plant-based protein powder with excellent ingredients and the vega seemed promising. (Maybe it would be better in a smoothie--I tend to eat that stuff with oatmeal.)

@lemurcat12 i hate it. it does not taste good haha. Buuuut I like the protein level along with it having half my daily vitamins fiber and all the other stuff so i just chug it and call it a day. i put it in a smoothie with peanut butter and banana... its semi better.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I gave a flippant answer earlier but here is a more serious answer.

In the OP shakes, bars, and meal replacements were ruled out. But why are those foods not necessarily "real"?

I eat a lot of yogurt. Is that "real"?

I occasionally grab a Cliff bar for my lunch if we're out of leftovers. Why isn't that real food? It has calories, macro and micronutrients, and tastes pretty good. When I go backpacking or canoeing we eat a lot of bars- they are light and energy-packed.

If I make a milkshake out of milk, cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla, why isn't that real?

• tarboro84
    tarboro84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    I was just wondering who else eats REAL FOOD? No shakes, bars, or meal replacement anything, but real food.

I'm reading these comments and you should have known "people" was gonna eat you alive with this post lol....where are the emojis when I need them lol