What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wine, beer, nuts, granola bars. Only because I have no self control with these items yet. One serving is never enough. I tried again with the nuts a few days ago and it didn't work out lol.

Nuts are the worst for me too! Only because there are so many calories in such a small amount.

I actually started splitting up jar into snack baggies that are one serving each. I find it much easier to resist overeating if I don't have the entire container in front of me.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I've sacrificed the notion that I was not worth the effort it took to lose weight, and that it would never work anyway.

Everything else has been easy.
  • Nova_88
    Nova_88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I gave a feeling of guilt when I spend some time doing nothing on the couch. I deserve it now because I'm working hard the rest of the time.
  • Nova_88
    Nova_88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh and I gave up giving up.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    buckman803 wrote: »
    Indian takeaways...

Oh yes! I made space for the first one in 7 weeks the other day and it was good :).

Actually, they aren't too bad to make space for if you want one and you just go main and rice plus a couple of poppadums. I reckoned (from a good deal of advance research) that my veggie jalfrezi plus plain rice and poppadums cost about 1000 cals. I was good with that - just saved my day up and looked forward to it.

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    deep fried bean and cheese burritos. We have a little chain restaurant that started in my hometown, now has 3 facilities, and their mom-and-pop style mexican food is to die for. Also, another little mom-and-pop place in town has this amazing plate of nachos. It's about 6 inches tall of chips, mexican rice, beans, shredded beef, nacho cheese, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and an olive on top.

ETA I would totally still eat these if I knew how many cals were in them.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Binge watching Law & Order reruns that I've seen a million times on the weekends, a bottle of wine a night and those big restaurant/bar bills! "Sacrifices" that were totally worth it! -73 lbs as of today!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, I really miss wine. I have it now and again, but generally speaking as I'm on 1200 calories a day, there just isn't enough room for wine.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Liquor, but then I needed to give that up. I would kill a fifth of rum or 2-3 bottles of wine on my own every weekend.

I don't mind having let it go. I have a glass of wine maybe once a month now.

Its not a sacrifice now.

I have no sacrifices other than decadent cake and cupcakes any time I like. I'm talking about reg size slices of cake that come to 1100 cals a slice EVERYDAY.
    I will have the slices of cake only on holidays now. Cake is reserved for birthdays and holidays.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The endorphin rush from binge eating and stuffing myself to the gills. I really do miss it sometimes.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd say the only thing that feels like an actual sacrifice would be time. It takes time to log, cook (rather than get fast food), clean (dishes/kitchen from cooking), exercise, and research (nutrition, workouts, etc.). It's a sacrifice I'm willing to keep on making.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me hungry.
  • wannab3thinner
    wannab3thinner Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bread. I'm eating super low carb now and I really miss bread.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Time. I have much less time now. I consider it worth it, and it helps me determine what my real priorities are.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Feeling full ... and nachos. Oh, how I miss nachos! I refuse to give up alcohol, though. I don't log it either and I've still been losing an average of 1.4lbs a week so I'm going with it until that changes. It keeps me sane. :wink:
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

get audio books they are great.

I do but usually only listen to them in the car. I prefer to not listen to anything (except the sounds of nature and daily life) when I am walking. I have been tempted to try audiobooks on my waterproof IPod when swimming but am not sue if I can concentrate. I usually zone out while doing my laps.

I'm an avid reader too, but I also can't use audio books-too hard to focus!

I just discovered audible.com. Try listening and reading at the same time. It's slower, but you can take breaks, go to the bathroom, emty the dishwasher, fold laundry. It's not as hard to focus as when I first started. Audible.com has everything too. Great selection. I haven't tried it outdoors because I'm with you on that. I might try though.

ETA: Listening to a book is definitely a distraction from thinking about food.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    those delicious blended coffee drinks with chocolate syrup and lots of whipped cream. I realized my favorite coffee treat was almost 700 calories. Now I drink freshly roasted black coffee. I still have one now and then but not without careful planning to make up those calories.
  • Solimay
    Solimay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say sacrifice but I'm just more mindful of my portion size. I now realize my issue was I was eating double of what I should be eating. Now I'm feeling so much better with the downsize portions ;)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Definitely time. Instead of laying in my bed at 4am, it's gym time.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Beer. I miss beer. Every time I think about having one, I just end up wanting to spend the 200 calories on something else. I guess that means I like food more than beer...but it's close!