What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Options
Naturally, we don't have to cut out treats completely in order to lose weight. But what was the biggest sacrifice you had to make in order to lose weight? Was it worth it? Just curious...

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I continued to eat as before, just a bit less. You dont need to give up pizza to make way for organic cabbage...
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    32lbs down and I actually can't think of any.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have sacrified anything. I eat the same things as before, only in different proportions. I got rid of bad habits, got more structure to my eating and daily life, eat healthier and better tasting food, feel more awake and energetic, have less anxiety and cravings, more predictability, feel full but not stuffed after meals, spend less on food and on clothes... I can't think of anything that I would call sacrifice.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I guess time tracking my food but I've been so happy with my weight loss that I don't mind.
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't say I have sacrified anything. I eat the same things as before, only in different proportions. I got rid of bad habits, got more structure to my eating and daily life, eat healthier and better tasting food, feel more awake and energetic, have less anxiety and cravings, more predictability, feel full but not stuffed after meals, spend less on food and on clothes... I can't think of anything that I would call sacrifice.

Exactly this!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Oreos.

Just one of my trigger foods that I haven't figured out how to eat in moderation, so I don't eat any at all!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating chocolate, mainly because I could never be happy with a piece, it had to be a whole (big) bar. It's not the best thing to eat anyway. I don't regard it as a sacrifice, just changing a really bad habit. I'm not at all bothered about it now, and would rather pick up a banana or an apple than eat chocolate. I've also saved a lot of money through not buying chocolate - based on my old habits, I've saved at least £250 since I gave it up. That's my new wardrobe sorted!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Spontaneity.

It is a bit annoying not to be able to eat whatever I feel like eating whenever I feel like eating it.

But I have lost about 25 kg (55 lbs) and I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in a decade.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, cookies - treats in general. I can have small amounts but I have a hard time eating them in moderation so it is easier to just not.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It wasnt ever a sacrifice. I traded in one lifestyle for a healthier one.
  • chopup
    chopup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    alcohol, only because I like food better but 70 lbs down who cares, life cannot be better right now
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Satisfaction
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Initially it was spontaneity for me too, but it was short-lived. Last moment weekend getaway plans used to make me a bit nervous, for example, but I know better now. So in the long term, I haven't really made any sacrifices.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol when I realised how many calories it had. Also I was binging on fast food every time I was drinking. I still have a glass once a week but it's one glass with dinner as a treat, nothing more.
    Also I gave up eating takeaway two or three times a week, but seeing health benefits of this it doesn't feel like sacrifice at all. Home cooked food is so much better!
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Another vote for spontaneity. Though I'm fairly good about shifting things about with some notice.

And mindless eating. Bad habit, so not really a loss, but probably my worst food related one other than preferring a lot of calorie dense foods.
  • samanthafayeh
    samanthafayeh Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating diary for a week at the start of my weight loss journey, just to see if it made a difference. Turns out I have an issue with cow's milk. I used to feel really bloated after days where I had a lot of cheese/milk or, occasionally, I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and super sick to my stomach. I went to the doctor and they confirmed it, no more diary unless I want to feel awful. I now use goat cheese if I'm craving cheese. So I wouldn't say it was I wanted to cut out diary, but it has helped me feel 100% better.

Also, I miss pizza and Ben and Jerry's
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wine. I still have it occasionally when I can fit it in my macros, but I definitely drink far less than I used to. Which is good all around, I suppose!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spontaneity.

It is a bit annoying not to be able to eat whatever I feel like eating whenever I feel like eating it.

But I have lost about 25 kg (55 lbs) and I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in a decade.

More on the spontaneity ...

Probably one of the biggest things I miss is being out on a bicycle ride and being able to just stop somewhere on a whim to have ice cream, or fish and chips, or something yummy from the bakery in the little town we're cycling through at that moment ...

Most of the rest of the time it's OK. Before I started here, I was eating reasonably healthy, low-ish calorie things during the day at work and I haven't changed my pre-6 pm diet much at all. I did change my after work snack, but that's fine, I like what I'm eating. And dinners got a bit smaller with lots more veggies which I also like.

We also don't eat dinner in a restaurant very often, especially not without some pre-planning, so that wasn't a big deal.

It's those middle of the day on Saturday moments when we're out and about ... and something delicious comes along ...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Naturally, we don't have to cut out treats completely in order to lose weight. But what was the biggest sacrifice you had to make in order to lose weight? Was it worth it? Just curious...

No more eating spontaeously I guess. I haven't found that particularly difficult just different. Worth it.
    I decided to save my calories for food so I drink water or unsweetened tea. If I really wanted a smoothie, hot chocolate or soda pop I'd make them fit my goal but I haven't missed them. Worth it.
    Being less sedentary. Exercising more. I have mixed feelings about this. Exercise is good for me, gives me more calories but it takes time and sometimes I'm tired of being sore. Ultimately worth it because the good outweighs the bad.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I eat out a maximum of once per week. Sometimes not at all. I didn't give up any foods, I just gave up "growing teenage boy" type portions, considering I am a middle aged woman.