What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Donuts. They are like crack cocaine to me so I just decided I wouldn't eat them anymore. If I eat even one, all I think about is having another and another. I quit most fast food also, but only because I've learned to love healthier food. I know it's all CICO, but if one knows what their weakness is I see no problems with total avoidance.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I eat out a maximum of once per week. Sometimes not at all. I didn't give up any foods, I just gave up "growing teenage boy" type portions, considering I am a middle aged woman.

I'm with you.

This is what I had to give up. My evening 'coma' meal where I stuff my myself with pasta or bread or ....everything.
    It's still the meal where in the wrong part of the month I feel a little sad when it finishes. Even tonight, my dinner was over 1000 calories and I felt sad as I licked the bowl of greek yoghurt, syrup, granola, blueberries and oats.

I've got a 6'6" mans stomach, I swear.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Donuts. They are like crack cocaine to me so I just decided I wouldn't eat them anymore. If I eat even one, all I think about is having another and another. I quit most fast food also, but only because I've learned to love healthier food. I know it's all CICO, but if one knows what their weakness is I see no problems with total avoidance.

I agree. We all have our trigger foods and avoiding them is often better than trying to moderate them and stress yourself out.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Iced coffee. I couldn't get enough of the stuff, but it was loaded with sugar. It was a trigger food for me, and I knew that if I was going to be successful at all I was going to have to pass on it. I miss it every once in awhile, because it truly was delicious.

I've also had to sacrifice down time. As a mother of an 8 year old daughter and a hyperactive dog and a wife of a medical student living out of state (with no family around to help me with day-to-day responsibilities), I rarely-if ever-have time to myself. I used to really enjoy those rare times when it was just me, and I could binge on Netflix or read a book. If I have time to myself now, I feel like I have to spend that time exercising whereas that time used to be spent relaxing. Perfect example: I used to read the newspaper and listen to my daughter play the piano during her weekly piano lesson; now I drop her off and walk the neighborhood with the dog while she's inside. I know it's good for me and the dog, but JEEZ - sometimes I just want some freakin' down time! I wasn't home very often before because of all of my daughter's various activities, but now I am home less because of going to the gym and exercise classes. When I am home, I am frantically trying to keep the house maintained and playing catch-up with the laundry. I realize I was pretty lazy before, but I feel like right now the tank is always running on empty.

I agree with the spontaneity statement as well. I love going out to eat, and I love trying new restaurants, particularly those with ethnic food. My city has a great restaurant scene with many local, non-chain eateries. The foodie in me thinks this is fantastic, but the MFPer in me cringes when I have to try to figure out how many calories are in a dish. A lot of times I feel discouraged, give up, and order a salad. This may make me feel unsatisfied.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spontaneity.

It is a bit annoying not to be able to eat whatever I feel like eating whenever I feel like eating it.

But I have lost about 25 kg (55 lbs) and I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in a decade.

This. Eating how much ever I want, whenever I choose and I still struggle with this. If only I could eat sugary treats all day every day. Giving up that habit is well worth it, I feel amazing sometimes and sometimes I feel like the same old me to though.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In terms of food, Chinese take away and really most restaurant food in general. If people knew how much oil, butter, and salt was used in supposedly healthy salads and chicken dishes... Also pretty much gave up on chips as having them around just led to binging on the whole bag, skipping supper, and getting into a bad pattern overall.

In terms of life, have also lost a great deal of spontaneity to go out and do things as everything that comes up seems to have a food/drink component to it to at least some degree. Being the one declining drinks and dessert gets old real quick. Also sadly many relationships with friends and some family that were also based around going out for drinks, big suppers, etc...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    faurotann wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My biggest sacrifice was some of my reading time. Instead of reading, I am now spending several hours a week working out.

get audio books they are great.

I do but usually only listen to them in the car. I prefer to not listen to anything (except the sounds of nature and daily life) when I am walking. I have been tempted to try audiobooks on my waterproof IPod when swimming but am not sue if I can concentrate. I usually zone out while doing my laps.

I'm an avid reader too, but I also can't use audio books-too hard to focus!

I just discovered audible.com. Try listening and reading at the same time. It's slower, but you can take breaks, go to the bathroom, emty the dishwasher, fold laundry. It's not as hard to focus as when I first started. Audible.com has everything too. Great selection. I haven't tried it outdoors because I'm with you on that. I might try though.

ETA: Listening to a book is definitely a distraction from thinking about food.

2nd the recommendation for audible. I used to (and still do) listen to a lot of podcasts, so maybe I was already used to it. But so far have found it really engaging and fairly easy to follow along. Obviously it helps to have a decent narrator and a decent book. A bad narrator and a boring book can be pretty bad. But sometimes it's like not wanting to put a good book down, I will walk a little longer to keep listening to the story.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Large portions... :'(
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Oooo...donuts are my kryptonite, too.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not being able to eat how ever much of something I want whenever I wanted. Somethings I just save for special occasions,
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I could no longer eat all the cookies. As I am a fantastic baker of delicious cookies this was a very real sacrifice.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »

Oooo...donuts are my kryptonite, too.

Donuts I learned to deal with by 1) buying them rarely and 2) buying a neat variety of high quality ones when I do get them. Then what I do is take the donuts, divide them into quarters and put them on the table. The three of us get to pick and choose to eat all different kinds of donuts instead of having to commit to eating a whole particular one. For whatever reason, my brain is tricked into thinking it ate more than it did if I eat four pieces of donut as opposed to just one. I just seem overall more satisfied by getting to try a bunch of different donuts. This works also on my husband and daughter. We have been known to not finish a box of donuts since I started doing this. Before that would have been unthinkable! You aren't tempted by what you have already have tried and had.

I also eat my donuts with something high protein and low cal on the side like Greek yogurt or an egg white and veggie omelet. That helps too.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    3-4 coffee loaded with tons of cream and sugar daily. I had to switch it out for tea after trying it with less cream/milk/half n half/sweetners ect. 95lbs down and yes, it was worth it but i still miss it!
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't consider any of it a sacrifice. I lost 110lbs so it was all worth it
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    There's no specific food or activity that I've stopped, but the key for me is accepting that I can't eat ALL THE FOOD that I want, every single time, and still stay healthy.
    I don't know that "sacrifice" is quite the right word for this, but it doesn't make me happy!

zm5111dwiaoo.jpg
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For weight loss nothing. I can eat all i want as long as i eat less calories than i burn

Health wise ( for medical reasons) salt. And i really ( still) miss it.

95069916.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I chose to change what and how much I ate so I could enjoy the benefits of a pain free life and do whatever I want to do with friends & family. However, "sacrifice" is not a word I use to describe my newfound freedom.
  • gcaracciolo2
    gcaracciolo2 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The eating until I'm completely full mentality. It's much better to eat just until your satisfied but MAN... Sometimes I wish I could stuff myself until i pass out hehe.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Snacking while watching TV. I would mindless snack while watching shows at night, and it was a real tough habit to break. I usually now save some calories so I can have one healthy snack while zoning out, and if I still need something, I grab some shelled sunflower seeds. Like, it takes forever to eat even a handful of them. I also miss Cheez-Its. I can't have them in the house, because I will eat ALL of them and bite someone who tries to put their hand near the box.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I guess the time I spent watching tv or some of my favorite shows b/c I'd rather workout now than watch that show. There are so many quality shows out there, that it was a struggle to keep up with when I was only Ms. Lazy Bones and watched tv from the time I got home from work to bedtime. Now a lot of that time has been shifted to accommodate my workout schedule. It's not a huge deal though.

Oh, and Keebler Crackers. I love them much to much to be able to stick to a serving or two.