Tips for PCOS

Options

Replies

• broadwaybound93
    Options
    No, it's cool that's why I made it, for everyone to come together and if anyone else had questions to take from it. lol. I've struggled with my weight all my life - my doctor even signed a permission note when I was 10 for me to do weight watchers with my mom. It's been a gradual thing but mostly within the last few years is when I really got big-big. I'm a stress eater so senior year of high school and my freshman year of college (this past year) really packed a punch. @__@ Going into it with a positive attitude now though - and congratulations on getting from 340 to 210 that in itself is a feat you should be proud of! =)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My roomie and I have a Wii in our dorm room so maybe I'll invest in some of those games. Also, I see a lot of people talking about Gillian's 30-day Shred where can I find it? Like, do they sell it at Wal-Mart?

I got mine on Amazon, but both Walmart and Target sell it for around $9 :)
  • staceyanne1
    Options
    No, it's cool that's why I made it, for everyone to come together and if anyone else had questions to take from it. lol. I've struggled with my weight all my life - my doctor even signed a permission note when I was 10 for me to do weight watchers with my mom. It's been a gradual thing but mostly within the last few years is when I really got big-big. I'm a stress eater so senior year of high school and my freshman year of college (this past year) really packed a punch. @__@ Going into it with a positive attitude now though - and congratulations on getting from 340 to 210 that in itself is a feat you should be proud of! =)

Thanks , I don't feel like I accomplished much tho . That's the pity in me coming thro I think lol . I'm an everything eater . I eat when I'm bored , stressed , happy , sad , social . My OH doesn't understand why I eat , and TBH I don't know why I do .
    I just eat all the time . :-( even if I eat a full meal , straight after I'll eat .
    I think PCOS is something I personally have hidden behind . If people ask me why I'm fat , I say "oh I have PCOS its hard to lose weight blah blah " I use it as a cover for my lazy *kitten* .
  • Palmonds
    Palmonds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've PCOS too and would urge anyone trying to lose weight to check out the insulin resistance diet. There's a big thread about the book over on the soul cysters website. It's an incredibly easy way of losing weight and keeping it off when you have PCOS. It's practically effortless once you get going and no foods are banned, which really helps!
  • tennisninja
    tennisninja Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 4 yrs ago. I gained about 50 or 60 lbs in 3 yrs. I was prescribed Metformin and it kind of worked but all it really did was make me feel sick to my stomach always to the point where I thought I couldn't hold food in so it was pointless to eat. It made me feel like a zombie. I stopped taking it and instantly felt better but of course gained the little bit of weight I had lost back. After college I started playing tennis consistently. I now play about 5 or 6 times a week for an hour and a half or two hours at a time. Even with that huge amount of exercise I still couldn't drop the weight. I went to a dietitian and he prescribed me Phentermine. Yes I realize it's bad and has unsafe side effects but what doesn't?? ;) In the first month I dropped 15 lbs and the weight loss has slowed down since then but it's still been a consistent loss. I really think it helped kick start my metabolism and it helps curb my appetite (or it's all in my head which is all good to me lol). I went off of it for 3 months or so because of a loss of job and when I went back I expected my weight to have gone back up but I had actually lost a pound! hahaha I didn't really eat that bad or too much before but I decided to start counting calories so that maybe it will speed up my weight loss and I'm doing Zumba on the days I don't play tennis. I know it won't be instant gratification but I've been working hard and I'm really hoping it will pay off as long as I stick with it and don't get frustrated. I've never been a small girl and PCOS runs in my family (grandma, mom and sister) even though none of us knew. If anyone has any suggestions for better or more weight loss PLEASE let me know!
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I tend to go higher carb with a completely vegan diet
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I switched to a diabetic diet. I try to eat low/med on the GI(glucose index), I eat more veggies now than I ever have! I struggle with cutting out the carbs, I'm a pastaholic! I take cinnamon pills, mega-red, multivitamin, and a packet of emergen-C daily.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I found out I had PCOS when i was 15 i hadn't gotten a period. i was placed on metformin and i hated it still do but i am going to start taking it again I am currently at my highest weight ever and its really time for a change. All my weight is primarily in my tummy i have no hips and i odd shaped haha. I am so glad to see other ppl with PCOS (well not glad you have it but you know what i mean (:) I have never met other ppl with it. I unfortunately have skin discoloration, does anyone else struggle with this? its mainly on my neck and i hate it. Its like that dirty look you know. if anyone else has that is there a medicine out there to help with it..i have never really talked to my doc about that. I am 23 i wanted to have a family early i haven't been able to conceive and I am hoping that can change.
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Low glycemic index diet!!!! And if your body requires it, go gluten free too!
  • mihacadu
    Options
    I got diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I have had one natural period in my life (I'm 22). I find weight loss IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! The only time I lost weight was when I practically lived on broccoli. I'm hoping maybe even cutting back on white carbs may help lose a few pounds. I'm also doing some jogging at least 3 times a week- it physically pains me to do so but such is life!!
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Also, I see a lot of people talking about Gillian's 30-day Shred where can I find it? Like, do they sell it at Wal-Mart?

You can do the 30 Day Shred on youtube! Just search for 30 Day Shred level 1 and it will come up. After 10 days, move onto level 2, then onto level 3 after a further 10 days. They are all on youtube.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello Soul Cyster.

Grrr, PCOS. Bane of my bloody life. But its symptoms were what kick-started me into losing weight, so I kind of owe it!

Personally? A whole shedload of exercise. Hard, regular exercise. I attend zumba 6 days a week, paired with the odd kettlebell or weights session. It's a very all-or-nothing approach but when it comes to exercise I'm an all-or-nothing person :) But a good dose of regular cardio melted my fat.

Diet? I tried very low-carb for a while and found it unsustainable. Now I just watch what I eat - no excessive 'white' foods, with most sugar coming from fruit or low-fat yoghurts. I have treats every now and then - very much a social eater at weekends - but this is countered by the exercise.

Medication-wise, I'm on Dianette and Metformin. Frankly, I can't see that either have made a difference than a healthier lifestyle has, but we'll see.

I started out as very much an apple shape and carrying the majority of my weight around my middle. Now I'm quite muscular, but guess where the weight is? That's right, the pooch! Bloody ovaries...

All the best, and let us all know how it goes :)

xxx
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I also have PCOS. My fertility doctor is so frustrated with my slow weight loss (lost 30 pounds over the last year) that she is recommending gastric sleeve surgery.

I don't want to do that because I am capable of eating what I choose to eat, and I feel like I can do this. I'm thinking if she thinks that would work, maybe I should just lower my calorie intake more. MFP tells me to eat 1490 calories per day, so I do that. I do not eat back the 300 or so calories I get from exercise each day. Should I lower my daily calorie goal to 1200 and also not eat back exercise calories? Everybody says eat back your exercise calories, but it seems with PCOS we are just super efficient food utilizers.

If there's a famine, I guess we'll be the ones to survive at least. :wink:
  • tennisninja
    tennisninja Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    but it seems with PCOS we are just super efficient food utilizers.

This is the best thing I've heard all day! It might be going in my favorite quotes on facebook! Lol
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since puberty but didn't get diagnosed until my early 20's. I started having trouble with the weight in my mid 20s but my doctor never fully explained that it was because of the insulin resistance. Had my first child at 35 and developed gestational diabetes, had the second at 38 got gestational diabetes again only worse and within months had full blown diabetes. The one good thing is that the second baby magically jump started my cycles so I could drop the birth control but once I had added diabetes to my list of PCOS complications I knew I needed to do something serious since dieting and exercise hadn't worked and the diabetes was likely due to the weight plus pre existing insulin resistance. I have been eating low carb since December, I gave up sugar and all forms of carbonated drinks in May. I'm actually exercising less now (3-4 x per week) then I was before (6-7 x per week) and getting more out of it. So I guess my tips would be:

1) eat low carb high protein
    2) be active even if not "exercising"
    and/or
    3) talk to a endocrynologist and nutritionist about the best plan for your symptoms.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat a higher carb diet but I also cut out processed carbs. Basically, brown rice = yes, french bread (sadly) = no. I eat plenty of fiber to help keep me satisfied and eat an array of veggies.

Exercise is one of our biggest friends. Walking on a daily basis is a good start. Muscles also tend to be our friends so weight lifting will help build up your metabolism.

You can do it.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and was diagnosed with PCOS at 18, although I'd had the symptoms for years prior to that. I became a vegetarian at 14 and then a vegan at 19 and that helped loads. I've never been over the healthy BMI range, although going vegan helped me cut out crap like chocolate bars and cakes and quick fixes you see while waiting in queues and so on.

Edited to say that I only ever eat wholemeal bread. I'll have white rice or white pasta once in a while if someone else made it, but I don't go out of my way to eat it. I DO have a sweet tooth though, so I'll have a milkshake with unsweetened soya milk and banana or milkshake powder once in a while, or a bit of dark chocolate.

Diet coke and pepsi are my one vice. They sort out my sweet cravings, but I know they're bad for my teeth so I'm trying to give them up.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    but it seems with PCOS we are just super efficient food utilizers.

This is the best thing I've heard all day! It might be going in my favorite quotes on facebook! Lol

Well, I'm glad it cheered someone up. :bigsmile:
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Another note- My endocrinologist suggested I stay away from any soy products, which I was insanely bummed about because I LOVE LOVE LOVE tofu and edamame, but after doing some independent research I decided to follow his advice. There are tons of studies out there that focus on soy and other forms of environmental estrogen and its effects on reproductive health. I was in and out of veganism and vegetarianism for about 10 years as a teenager/young adult and my primary protein source was soy, I ate it constantly, and I wonder now if it had any effect on my issues now.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    High protein... lower carbs .... and I don't mean psycho ketosis low carbs, I mean less BAD carbs, like white bread, rice, donuts.... and more GOOD carbs like quinoa, farrow, amaranth, teff, fruit and veggies. This diet is perfect for me since I love meat :)

Walking is excellent exercise... you know what I did? I signed up for a Susan G Komen 3-Day walk in January of 2010 and it MADE me walk so that I would die walking 60 miles in August. It also gave me some good habits and helped the weight come off -- which is all a bonus and will help some of your PCOS symptoms.

Sadly, if you have hair grown thing... I dont think there is any cure for that yet. I just watch groupon for laser hair removal coupons and get it done a few times until the next groupon comes out.

I wasn't able to have kids because of this and not being diagnosed.... so hopefully you won't have that issue :) Good that you know what you have!