Crossfit, tried it and want to quit

Options
I've been wanting to try crossfit for awhile. I am very out of shape, I have 40-50 pounds to lose and my DH has over 100. We went last night, despite what the trainers said before we signed up, everyone else was fit and could do all the moves. It was pretty embarrassing, my DH and I couldn't finish. The trainer said that in their classes, no one leaves until the last person is done and everyone stays to encourage you to keep going. I appreciate that, but it is still embarrassing and I'm not going to keep working out for 10 minutes after others are finished and waiting to leave. I'm just not. Both of our blood pressures were high after class and I felt sick for a few hours afterwards.

I feel like I don't want to go anymore, it's a one month beginner's class. I feel like it did motivate me to get back to the gym and start working out again. If it wasn't for my DH, I would quit but I'm the one that pushed us to try it and I think he'll be annoyed that I want to quit after one day.

Do you think it's ok to quit crossfit after one day and do other exercising? I really didn't like it.

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of giving things a fair shake before you give up. I'd say modify your routines as needed and keep trying. If you do it for a month and it doesn't become any more enjoyable maybe keep looking for your personal brand of exercise.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You have to like what you are doing in order to keep it up. Is this a place that only does crossfit that you signed up for? or does this place have other options? If not stick it out until you get your money worth after move on. There are so many different classes and workouts that you may enjoy and stick with. Also, your now getting back in the gym so take your time and start off slow and if your allowed to put your membership on hold do that for crossfit but keep searching for what you enjoy. Maybe you will build your endurance to the point where you will go to the class and be ready to jump right in.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't think you've given it a fair try. You will likely hear a lot of crossfit haters chime in. But I've been doing crossfit for about 4 years and I love it. I have seen a lot of improvements in my strength and fitness and my ability to do the workouts. I have had a bad back for decades, and with the proper modifications of many of the exercises my back is better than it has ever been. I'm in the best shape of my life. But, when I started, I was focused on being the best I could be on that day. I did not try to compare myself to the more fit members of the group. I'm pretty competitive so it is hard to do something not well. But I stuck with it and I am so glad I did. The people I work out with cheer me on and I cheer them on...at whatever level they are at. There is no pressure to push beyond our limits but there is encouragement to push ourselves.

Honestly, I would give it some time. Scale back a little bit. Talk to the trainer about your feeling on the spot by having others wait for you...but maybe just take their encouragement for what it is. Crossfit has been really empowering for me. Stick with the program for the full month. If it really isn't for you, then you'll know then. I encourage you to get out of your head, get out of your comfort zone, and give it a try for the full month.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Even if it's called a "beginners" class Crossfit is generally not suited for beginners. Yes, it's okay to quit Crossfit and find workouts you like. That's the only way to enjoy it and keep going.

Did you have to pay for this class? If so, try to get a refund. Crossfit just isn't for everyone, even people who are fit. It's just a type of workout but there are lots of other things you can do.
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would give it time and see if you end up liking it, but if after awhile you don't... move on. I think it's important to at least SORT OF like what you are doing. I can't say I love working out, but I do enjoy what I do.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit 3 weeks ago. It is VERY hard. I have run two marathons. I can run for an hour no problem. I have lifted weights for years. I can lift weights for an hour no problem. But I cannot do both at the same time for 10 minutes without wanting to crawl into a corner in a fetal position and just cry. Point is - it isn't that you are overweight. It isn't that you are not fit (necessarily). The reason is because it is new, different, and hard. There are men 20 years older than me kicking my butt. There are girls kicking my butt. There are those more overweight than I am kicking my butt. You have to leave your pride at the door and not worry about what others think of you - however - more than likely they have been where you are and if you talk to them about it - they will reassure you that you too will get it. Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    I started Crossfit 3 weeks ago. It is VERY hard. I have run two marathons. I can run for an hour no problem. I have lifted weights for years. I can lift weights for an hour no problem. But I cannot do both at the same time for 10 minutes without wanting to crawl into a corner in a fetal position and just cry. Point is - it isn't that you are overweight. It isn't that you are not fit (necessarily). The reason is because it is new, different, and hard. There are men 20 years older than me kicking my butt. There are girls kicking my butt. There are those more overweight than I am kicking my butt. You have to leave your pride at the door and not worry about what others think of you - however - more than likely they have been where you are and if you talk to them about it - they will reassure you that you too will get it. Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box.

Okay, I prefer this response over the one I posted. This is helpful and much more informative.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    boychucker wrote: »
    Do you think it's ok to quit crossfit after one day and do other exercising? I really didn't like it.

What would you prefer to do? Swim, zumba, barre classes? I understand not liking something, but what are you going to replace it with.

By the way, losing weight is mostly what you eat, not exercise.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i dont like crossfit, but i also dont like giving up when i have made a commitment to myself. IF you quit then you will be a quitter and out of shape. As far as everyone else in the class being fit and you feeling out of shape, most people in classes are overjoyed when someone new comes and they get to watch (and be part of) their physical and mental journey to health. .Everyone starts at the beginning, all those people did. i think you should put in your time and finish the program and then if you don't like it you can find something else to try, but at least you will have accomplished something and broken though some emotional barriers. quitting is never good for the soul.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit a few months ago and was scared out of my brain. I nearly had a panic attack during the WOD the first couple times. But I kept going. After a few weeks, it got a lot easier. I am in the beginning class and there are people of all shapes, sizes, and athleticism in the class. Everyone encourages everyone else. Also, I am not as inspired by the fitter people as I am by the larger less fit people. I am amazed at their persistence and they just keep going! It's really hard, and everyone knows it! Everyone was new at one point or another, so everyone knows how the new people feel, to some degree or another. Since it took you nearly 10 more minutes than everyone else to finish the class, you may want to talk to your coach about modifying some of the moves. You should be challenged but you shouldn't be moving so slowly that you aren't doing yourself any good. I'm sure the coach just let you have at it the first day to see where you stack up, but don't be afraid to ask the coach for ways to modify the move if it is too hard or taking you too long. They should be more than happy to oblige. I hope you have more fun trying it in the future!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I tried a beginner's class in January 2015 and experienced much the same thing as you. Although I wasn't terribly overweight, I was terribly out of shape. I was LITERALLY mortified to be the last person to finish. I cried when I left and vowed that I would NEVER walk back into a CF gym.

Hubby didn't feel the same, so he kept going. He kept talking about how hard it was but how great it was. He started to get fitter. He kept asking me to go back.

Finally, there was a competition in July. I went to watch hubby "compete." I realized that these people, as fit as they were, were struggling, too. Some were competing to win, and some were competing for the fun of it, knowing that they wouldn't win. After the competition, they all went out for dinner and drinks. They had a camaraderie of sorts, and I felt left out.

I decided to try it again. I told myself over and over that it wouldn't matter if I was last every single time. When it came down to it, deep down, I didn't like feeling like I wasn't good at something, so it took a lot of soul searching to go back in that room. I mentally prepared myself to let go of my pride and start at the bottom.

But I did it. I went back in August and I've been at it ever since. I'm still the "weakest" most days, but I'm getting better at everything. Everyone is not good at everything, so some days I have started to do pretty well. I'm a slow runner, but I can row. I have a terrible back incline on my squat, but my kettlebell swings and pushups have improved by leaps and bounds. My point is that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and it's a journey to find them and work on them.

But it's not about comparing yourself to others. It's about comparing yourself to your former self. And, MAN, have I come a long, long way since August.

I love it. If I miss a day, my fellow CrossFitters ask where I am. They are supportive and uplifting. I can find something every single day that I want to do better, but I also find something that I feel good about.

I HIGHLY recommend that you do some soul searching and give it another try. I am glad I did.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say go ahead and quit after one day. But since you signed up for a month, I'd try to finish it out. At least go one more time.

I'm very much a loner so everybody staying to encourage me would be the opposite of encouraging. Just do the best you can.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're signed up for a month, so I'd at least go a few more times...I'm personally not a fan, but I did try it a few times...it's just not my thing. And yeah...it's ok if it's not your thing...there's plenty of other things one can do to get fit.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I tried a beginner's class in January 2015 and experienced much the same thing as you. Although I wasn't terribly overweight, I was terribly out of shape. I was LITERALLY mortified to be the last person to finish. I cried when I left and vowed that I would NEVER walk back into a CF gym.

Hubby didn't feel the same, so he kept going. He kept talking about how hard it was but how great it was. He started to get fitter. He kept asking me to go back.

Finally, there was a competition in July. I went to watch hubby "compete." I realized that these people, as fit as they were, were struggling, too. Some were competing to win, and some were competing for the fun of it, knowing that they wouldn't win. After the competition, they all went out for dinner and drinks. They had a camaraderie of sorts, and I felt left out.

I decided to try it again. I told myself over and over that it wouldn't matter if I was last every single time. When it came down to it, deep down, I didn't like feeling like I wasn't good at something, so it took a lot of soul searching to go back in that room. I mentally prepared myself to let go of my pride and start at the bottom.

But I did it. I went back in August and I've been at it ever since. I'm still the "weakest" most days, but I'm getting better at everything. Everyone is not good at everything, so some days I have started to do pretty well. I'm a slow runner, but I can row. I have a terrible back incline on my squat, but my kettlebell swings and pushups have improved by leaps and bounds. My point is that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and it's a journey to find them and work on them.

But it's not about comparing yourself to others. It's about comparing yourself to your former self. And, MAN, have I come a long, long way since August.

I love it. If I miss a day, my fellow CrossFitters ask where I am. They are supportive and uplifting. I can find something every single day that I want to do better, but I also find something that I feel good about.

I HIGHLY recommend that you do some soul searching and give it another try. I am glad I did.

i love this post.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I imagine the first class would be very awkward and confusing, trying to follow everyone else. I've been in that situation a few times. I would encourage you to go outside of your comfort zone and finish out the month. Once you get the moves down and build up some confidence, you may actually enjoy yourself. And if not, at least you gave it your best.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I imagine the first class would be very awkward and confusing, trying to follow everyone else. I've been in that situation a few times. I would encourage you to go outside of your comfort zone and finish out the month. Once you get the moves down and build up some confidence, you may actually enjoy yourself. And if not, at least you gave it your best.

Yeah, this^.

That first crossfit class is wicked awkward for everyone regardless of conditioning. Just take it easy, learn the movement patterns, don't take it too seriously and give it a month or so. You may find with more familiarity that you enjoy it.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'll preface this with the fact that I DID quit CF. After several months of averaging about 3 days a week. Honestly, it was more because the time changed and there was more daylight after work....I preferred to be outside walking my dog or riding my bike to being in a sweaty gym with a bunch of grunting dudes.

That being said, it IS hard. But I would give it a few more times, at least. Talk to the coaches. Tell them about your blood pressure and that you didn't feel good. Make sure they are aware of ANY and all medical and physical conditions. If they are GOOD coaches (kind of a key ingredient to a good box) they will be sure to help you scale so you can benefit. Not end up in the hospital.

If you don't like it after the month. Go ahead and quit. But I really, really think it is vital that you communicate with the coaches. My coaches were well aware of an old injury that made a lot of things tough, and scaled me accordingly. If they don't help you scale things, they are bad coaches and you should quit and maybe try a different box.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Honestly the people staying and "encouraging" me would be a deal breaker for me but maybe it's something that you will grow to like? If not would it be possible to tell that coach that if you are the absolute last one to please have everyone leave? I mean surely he understands that for some people this is the opposite of motivation?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    People have posted a lot of really helpful stuff. I am not pro-crossfit. And on that side of things, if someone said their knees hurt and they hated running there'd be plenty of people telling them they don't HAVE to run and to try something else.

On the other hand, it might be beneficial to go a few more times. I think a lot of what is challenging about starting a workout program when you are overweight and out of shape is the social factor. We want to hide in our rooms and just hope the weight falls off and no one has to see us breathe hard or struggle. But it's really important to get out there and push past that. Trust me, it won't be long before it does not bother you anymore. I understand your feeling of mortification the first day. But everyone else in the class was probably thinking "I've been there myself!" and thinking more about themselves then you. Pushing past might help you to be a stronger person. If after a month you still don't like crossfit, feel free to choose something else. Maybe this is something your hubby will really like and sticking with it for his sake could be worth it.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It's important to like what you're doing. Even if someone feels sick or sore after, if they still liked it, awesome. Crossfit is one type of exercise, and for those who like it, great. Just don't feel it is the only method. I'd suggest finding something you enjoy. There are tons of classes out there!