Crossfit, tried it and want to quit

Options

Replies

• vesteroid
    vesteroid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    all i can add is I am now on week 6 of a VERY beginners cross fit program. Beginner in fact that we do not even have barbells in the gym, just dumbells, medicine balls, kettle bells, and slam balls, as well as pull up racks with trx straps for those who cant do a pullup.

On week 1-4 I thought I was going to die most every day. Somewhere in 5 it got better and now in 6 its "not terrible".

I like it so much now I am moving to the normal box and starting at level 1. I am sure I will be last, but over the last 5 weeks I learned to give up on my pride. It has been a humbling experience for sure. I know I am stronger, by a wide margin than when I started. I feel better (when not dead tired) and I can do many more movements and do much more weight (than when I started).

I say stay with it, learn more about what you are really capable of and who cares what others think. Once I let go of the dignity and fear, I just worked out with my eyes shut and tried not to die each day....so far, so good.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with quitting something you don't enjoy. I've taken Crossfit three times at three different gyms and I wasn't a fan. That being said I'm currently using Class Pass and even before that I would try out different facility whenever there was a try one on us deal and majority were one and done for me. I see no reason to do something I don't like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're signed up for a month, so I'd at least go a few more times...I'm personally not a fan, but I did try it a few times...it's just not my thing. And yeah...it's ok if it's not your thing...there's plenty of other things one can do to get fit.

I wanted to add to my post that pretty much anything I've ever done that was new, was difficult in the beginning. I've always allowed myself a little time to see if it's something I actually don't like or if it's just the unfamiliarity.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You have 3 days usually to back out of any signed contract. You may have to call in the big guns and go to your physicians and get a note to opt out. If they are classes on credit card...cancel your card and move if you have too. Cross fit seems like hell. I think cardio intervals like walk 3 min light jog 1 minute switched up for 20-45 minutes and longer when you get more fit is more heart healthy.

You don't want to pass out in class.

I tried step aerobics and was so clumsy and uncoordinated, I just did leg lifts and jumping jacks since I was a mess at following along.

Sometimes, you just know what works for you. Belly dancing and zumba were not for me, but spin class and the trim and tone classes with minimal footwork and free weights were great!

Maybe you can switch into another class they offer if they have other choices
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    You're signed up for a month, so I'd at least go a few more times...I'm personally not a fan, but I did try it a few times...it's just not my thing. And yeah...it's ok if it's not your thing...there's plenty of other things one can do to get fit.

I wanted to add to my post that pretty much anything I've ever done that was new, was difficult in the beginning. I've always allowed myself a little time to see if it's something I actually don't like or if it's just the unfamiliarity.

+1
    I'd like to add that I suspect OP's discomfort is more emotional than physical. I remember walking into a class when I was obese, definitely the largest person there. It took everything I could muster to focus and stay in class to the end. Afterward I went to my car and cried. I vowed to go back if for no other reason than to conquer my nerves. I'm really glad I did.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Crossfit...but I can injure myself for free!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Did they serve Kool-aid?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the feeling of being the least fit person in a class full of highly fit people. It is hard mentally, so hopefully everyone is encouraging you. It's not about feeling embarrassed, it's about doing something to improve yourself. You are doing great because everyone less fit than you stayed home. You don't have to do something you hate, but I am with the others who say give it a chance. At least try 2 or 3 more sessions. Remember, whatever fitness class you take, it is likely you will encounter this situation. I certainly have and after a year of classes and two years of personal training, I still have to modify many exercises to meet my abilities. Good luck and CONGRATS on stretching yourself, you and DH too!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether you will learn to like Crossfit or not. But, find something you like. that is the most important thing. You need to find something that you can still see yourself doing one year -- two years -- from now. Find something you find fun! And, be patient with yourself. People don't get in shape overnight. If you work too hard, usually it becomes unpleasant. Then you quit, and you have really gained nothing.
    Good luck
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing about CrossFit that is so special that anyone ever needs to do it again if they don't want to. You picked something without really understanding what it was and when you found out, you didn't like it. Unless, after you thought about it, you thought it might be worth giving it another chance, move on and try something else.

Don't let anyone browbeat you about a "lack of commitment". You didn't make a "commitment". You tried something out of the blue and it didn't work. There are a million ways to exercise and probably 999,999 of them are more suitable for you right now than CrossFit.

Yes, any new program will be challenging and uncomfortable at first, but, again, there are innumerable ways to start exercising at a level that is suited to your current ability and that won't leave you feeling beat up and discouraged. When starting a new program, it's important to build on success, and working out with some dope who insists you "complete the workout" and leaves you feeling sick and discouraged afterwards is just stupid.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

+1
    I'd like to add that I suspect OP's discomfort is more emotional than physical. I remember walking into a class when I was obese, definitely the largest person there. It took everything I could muster to focus and stay in class to the end. Afterward I went to my car and cried. I vowed to go back if for no other reason than to conquer my nerves. I'm really glad I did.

I'm sure the elevated blood pressure and "feeling sick for hours" was just an emotional response.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Obeg wrote: »
    I started Crossfit 3 weeks ago. It is VERY hard. I have run two marathons. I can run for an hour no problem. I have lifted weights for years. I can lift weights for an hour no problem. But I cannot do both at the same time for 10 minutes without wanting to crawl into a corner in a fetal position and just cry. Point is - it isn't that you are overweight. It isn't that you are not fit (necessarily). The reason is because it is new, different, and hard. There are men 20 years older than me kicking my butt. There are girls kicking my butt. There are those more overweight than I am kicking my butt. You have to leave your pride at the door and not worry about what others think of you - however - more than likely they have been where you are and if you talk to them about it - they will reassure you that you too will get it. Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box.

Great attitude! My sister does crossfit and has asked me to go but I'm scared
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to do things you don't enjoy when you have other options!
    Good for you for trying.
    If you don't like it, find something you do like, I think you'd be more likely to stick with it.
    With that being said I have no idea what cross fit is, but there are SO many different ways to exercise, you can for sure find one that you like.
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options
    I started Crossfit 3 weeks ago. It is VERY hard. I have run two marathons. I can run for an hour no problem. I have lifted weights for years. I can lift weights for an hour no problem. But I cannot do both at the same time for 10 minutes without wanting to crawl into a corner in a fetal position and just cry. Point is - it isn't that you are overweight. It isn't that you are not fit (necessarily). The reason is because it is new, different, and hard. There are men 20 years older than me kicking my butt. There are girls kicking my butt. There are those more overweight than I am kicking my butt. You have to leave your pride at the door and not worry about what others think of you - however - more than likely they have been where you are and if you talk to them about it - they will reassure you that you too will get it. Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box.

Great attitude! My sister does crossfit and has asked me to go but I'm scared
  • imamomwifedaughter
    Options

Great for you guys for trying it! It looks really hard!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone. If you've signed up for a month, I'd say to finish the month and if you still dislike it, at least you gave it a fair go. The only person you are competing against is you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started running because I was inspired by a friend who did a wheelchair 10k, I signed up for a race and started running... hated it for weeks and weeks. 18 months later I'm training for a half marathon.

I don't think you should quit after one class. Would you let your kids quit after trying something once?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    boychucker wrote: »
    I've been wanting to try crossfit for awhile. I am very out of shape, I have 40-50 pounds to lose and my DH has over 100. We went last night, despite what the trainers said before we signed up, everyone else was fit and could do all the moves. It was pretty embarrassing, my DH and I couldn't finish. The trainer said that in their classes, no one leaves until the last person is done and everyone stays to encourage you to keep going. I appreciate that, but it is still embarrassing and I'm not going to keep working out for 10 minutes after others are finished and waiting to leave. I'm just not. Both of our blood pressures were high after class and I felt sick for a few hours afterwards.

I feel like I don't want to go anymore, it's a one month beginner's class. I feel like it did motivate me to get back to the gym and start working out again. If it wasn't for my DH, I would quit but I'm the one that pushed us to try it and I think he'll be annoyed that I want to quit after one day.

Do you think it's ok to quit crossfit after one day and do other exercising? I really didn't like it.

Yes, it is ok to quit. I have been exercising for more than 20 years. Because I look for exercises, routines and classes I like. If I do nto like it (unless it is part of physical therapy), I am not doing it. Being forced to do sports I hated in my teens was the reason I ended up being a very sedentary teen. So, to get into an exercise routine, find something that makes you feel good. It can be something as simple as walking, it can be a gym, a class whatever. Sometimes a routine you generally do not like might turn into something you like in a different gym or with different partners, or a class you hate can be fun with a different instructor. But in general, experiment, and do not force yourself to do things you hate or that make you feel uncomfortable. Exercise should be fun, not a chore.

Now, me personally, despite being in good shape, I would not try crossfit. I do not think it is something that people should in general do, it is just the new trend, and there are many things I have seen about it that I definitely do not like, like a very high risk of unnecessary injuries and an attitude that is terrible (obviously there are exceptions, but the "no one leaves" is a good example, that would have me quitting right there - this is exactly the attitude that would make me hate any class). I also do not think it is in any way suitable for beginners.
    To give an example about what I mean about attitude, there is a post above stating " Compete with no one but yourself. When you win that battle,then start trying to move up the leaderboard at your own box." and naother "Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone." This works for some people, it would put me off exercise. I have a competitive job, a stressful life. I do not want to see exercise too as competition with anyone, I do not want to be the leader of anything, or have people with the "leader" attitude around me. For many people this pushing yourself thing works and leads to excellent results. But it does not work for everyone. Different people like different things. Some thrive in pushing themselves this way. Others would rather work out on their own, or be in a class with a fun attitude, or find a sport that is more about teamwork than competition, or even increase physical activity through everyday activities (bike to work instead of bus, walk instead of using car, start gardening instead of watching tv and so on).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing about CrossFit that is so special that anyone ever needs to do it again if they don't want to. You picked something without really understanding what it was and when you found out, you didn't like it. Unless, after you thought about it, you thought it might be worth giving it another chance, move on and try something else.

Don't let anyone browbeat you about a "lack of commitment". You didn't make a "commitment". You tried something out of the blue and it didn't work. There are a million ways to exercise and probably 999,999 of them are more suitable for you right now than CrossFit.

Yes, any new program will be challenging and uncomfortable at first, but, again, there are innumerable ways to start exercising at a level that is suited to your current ability and that won't leave you feeling beat up and discouraged. When starting a new program, it's important to build on success, and working out with some dope who insists you "complete the workout" and leaves you feeling sick and discouraged afterwards is just stupid.

All of this.

And really what on Earth is the point of paying good money to a trainer who ignores your current level of conditioning, your preferences and your ability level and uses social pressure, excuse me, "support" to ensure you follow the program rather than make the program follow you.

That is putting ideology before the needs of a client.
  • Furtado2
    Furtado2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been doing CrossFit for 1 year this month. In my opinion, you should give it another shot. Every single member of the gym feels like their bodies are going to stop working during WODs. The workouts never get easier. You scale to your ability and work from there. I love CrossFit because of the community. Sure, you may take 10 more minutes than the fastest person at the box, but you can bet that the fastest person will cheer you on until the finish. Just breath and you will accomplish anything.