Useless Fact of the Day

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The very first song played on MTV was 'Video Killed The Radio Star' by the Buggles

That's not correct. MTV didn't exist. It was VH1. :)

www.billboard.com

"On this day in 1981, MTV began broadcasting for the first time.

The new cable channel was out to pioneer a new frontier in music broadcasting and for that, it’s first few minutes on air were very appropriate. At 12:01 a.m. Aug. 1, they played footage of 1981’s space shuttle launch and the 1969 moon landing (both set to rock music), followed by the first music video in the channel’s history -- the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star.”"

Ahhh, good to know. I always thought VH1 started and became MTV.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ^^ I was a little leary of this so I googled it. Multiple sources state:
    THANK YOU! @ericatoday

"www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/.../the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/
    Apr 20, 2010 - Red meats, such as beef, are composed of quite a bit of water. This water, mixed with a protein called myoglobin, ends up comprising most of that red liquid. In fact, red meat is distinguished from white meat primarily based on the levels of myoglobin in the meat. The more myoglobin, the redder the meat."

Yes i found tgis out when my son told my sister it wasnt blood. He was wrong about what it was too but i googled. And now i know haha
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    How much you sweat does not actually determine how good your workout is. Everyine is born with a different amount of sweat glands.

If you have hard brown sugar just add a slice of bread or marshmallow to the bag and seal it. It will give out moisture and soften up.

The red juice in your meat package is not blood

Thank god! I have always thought this.
    Also I don't sweat very much. I get really red then sweat :confused: People have asked me after 5ks if I need an ambulance

Same here i ran my first half marathon on sunday and i barely sweat while others were dripping. I get red and exhausted but barely sweat.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sex does not make you go blind.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! @ericatoday

"www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/.../the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/
    Apr 20, 2010 - Red meats, such as beef, are composed of quite a bit of water. This water, mixed with a protein called myoglobin, ends up comprising most of that red liquid. In fact, red meat is distinguished from white meat primarily based on the levels of myoglobin in the meat. The more myoglobin, the redder the meat."

Yes i found tgis out when my son told my sister it wasnt blood. He was wrong about what it was too but i googled. And now i know haha

So since you won't tell us what it is I googled it. It is.....
    The red liquid, instead, is a mixture of water and a protein called myoglobin, whose purpose is to help ship oxygen to muscle cells. Myoglobin is deeply pigmented, which is why the more myoglobin a meat contains, the darker (or redder) the meat will be.
  • cee134
    edited November 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    THANK YOU! @ericatoday

So since you won't tell us what it is I googled it. It is.....
    The red liquid, instead, is a mixture of water and a protein called myoglobin, whose purpose is to help ship oxygen to muscle cells. Myoglobin is deeply pigmented, which is why the more myoglobin a meat contains, the darker (or redder) the meat will be.

@Monkey_Business already said that

Oh.... I have my Friday reading glasses on I guess. Here are some more facts about it than.

Myoglobin is released from damaged muscle tissue (rhabdomyolysis), which has very high concentrations of myoglobin. The released myoglobin is filtered by the kidneys but is toxic to the renal tubular epithelium and so may cause acute kidney injury.[13] It is not the myoglobin itself that is toxic (it is a protoxin) but the ferrihemate portion that is dissociated from myoglobin in acidic environments (e.g., acidic urine, lysosomes).

Myoglobin is a sensitive marker for muscle injury, making it a potential marker for heart attack in patients with chest pain.
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Confirmed. Husband made my eyes cross earlier this afternoon but I can still see just fine.

Exactly!
  • cee134
    Options
    The lint in your pockets isn't called lint; it's called gnurr.
  • cee134
    Options
    Bananas emit anti-matter. They contain an isotope of potassium which undergoes a form of beta decay, releasing a positron (anti-electron).
  • cee134
    Options
    In Chess after each player has made a move three times, there are 121 million possible routes to take.
  • cee134
    Options
    Wedding rings are placed on the third finger of the left hand because ancient Egyptians believed the vein located in that area ran directly to the heart.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Wedding rings are placed on the third finger of the left hand because ancient Egyptians believed the vein located in that area ran directly to the heart.

But science now knows that this is just the best way to mark owned property... spouses
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Paintballs were invented to mark trees for removal
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I kinked my neck.
  • Skuntzman31
    Skuntzman31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kangaroos have sex to make baby Kangaroos.
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Myoglobin is released from damaged muscle tissue (rhabdomyolysis), which has very high concentrations of myoglobin. The released myoglobin is filtered by the kidneys but is toxic to the renal tubular epithelium and so may cause acute kidney injury.[13] It is not the myoglobin itself that is toxic (it is a protoxin) but the ferrihemate portion that is dissociated from myoglobin in acidic environments (e.g., acidic urine, lysosomes).

Myoglobin is a sensitive marker for muscle injury, making it a potential marker for heart attack in patients with chest pain.

That's true, but they don't generally use myoglobin for tracking cardiac damage. They use troponin because it's a protein that is specific to damaged heart muscle.

Also, if one has rhabdomyolysis, one will likely have coca-cola colored urine as a result of the myoglobin in the urine.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Oh thank god!