Craziest food pusher story?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ever had someone who would just NOT take no for an answer? My kids had a playdate a couple weeks ago after school and I just stayed there too to chat with the mom (she's actually nice and means well). She offered me some melon... I said no. Honestly I wasn't hungry anyway, plus I have teeth aligners that I have to take out to eat, and it's awkward to do it in public (it's actually been helpful to avoid samples etc when going out, lol).

But she wouldn't take no for an answer. She cut the melon, put some in a bowl, and put it in front of me. I don't even like melon enough to spend the calories on it 99% of the time, so it was very irritating. Then she started offering me chocolate (I love chocolate but I was really not hungry and didn't want chocolate at the time). I said no and she put the box in front of me. I didn't eat anything but it was VERY awkward.

Honestly I don't even want to go there again after that. I don't understand why people do that. Can't they just take no for an answer? How do you react when that happens? I've known her for 5 years now but never went to her place before I lost the weight either, so it's not like she knows that I would probably have said yes before. Needless to say, I have no desire to ever go there again.

The other story is my mom who got really mad at me once day because I didn't want to order cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory.. because she wanted to have a bite of it. She's diabetic and didn't want to order a whole one, so she just got pissed at me instead (plus she's always eating bread, chocolate, potatoes and whatnot anyway). Good times. Plus I hate it when I order something and people take a bite of it...

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I think some people are trying to be hospitible, they just don't realize they are being obnoxious.

I get annoyed when people eat food off my plate too. I realize in the long run it's not that big of a deal and I really don't want to be rude. But when you alow yourself 1300 calories a day you kind of want to eat all of them.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My sister is a big food pusher. She even does it when the food is yucky, as in "Try this, it's disgusting." Explain to me why anyone would want to eat food after being told it is disgusting? LOL! I don't think she used to be this way, but I know her mother in law does the same thing, so maybe it has rubbed off...
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    My mother in law, who is German, is the exact same way. She will ask half a dozen times, I will say "no thank you" and she'll put it in front of me anyways. I think for some it's just the way they were brought up.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    My mom is not quite that bad of a food pusher, but she will continually try and think of something to offer that's in the fridge. "Do you want a banana? I have some leftover XYZ. If you're hungry there's cereal". I got it mom, I got it. I don't know how I would have handled that situation, lots of introvert awkwardness, sputtering, and removal from the environment asap.

I was a bad diabetic so...yeah. I may have just ordered the cheesecake just to keep the peace, but then I argue with my dad so I gotta keep one of my parents happy.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The next someone who dares take.my food I'm stabbing with my fork.
  • Afura
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Maybe if it was lima beans I'd let them go unscathed.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    pootle1972 wrote: »

Maybe if it was lima beans I'd let them go unscathed.

True. .I'll give you that.

• xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of being a food and everything pusher lol. That's how we grew up, we share everything. I'll give you my last dollar if need be kind of people. I wouldn't take offense to it.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:
    This is in response to @kgirlhart 's comment above:

That happened last night! I weighed my mint greek yogurt pop, logged it...ate a bit of it...put it back on the scale so I didn't have to dirty another plate while I grabbed something else and my husband picked it up and took a bit of it! I'm like "NOOO!! I already weighed that!" He laughed. And although I wasn't truly mad, there was a part of me that thought "you stole my only food"! LOL! Like, I can only eat so much so I want it all, dammit! That's not the first time that's happened either...
    I've never had people push food on me though.
    If I did, and they were a big person, I would be rude, not gonna lie, and say "I don't want it cuz I don't want to look like you!" I know that's mean, but guess what, I bet they'd never do it again!
    I've come close to saying that to my mother-in-law cuz she always says I'm "too skinny" Mind you she's like 5 ft and over 200 pounds, so yeah I guess I am too skinny...to someone like her!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My mother in law, who is German, is the exact same way. She will ask half a dozen times, I will say "no thank you" and she'll put it in front of me anyways. I think for some it's just the way they were brought up.

My mom does that too. My grandparents were from Germany so I have a suspicion where she got it from haha. But she doesn't get offended if you say "no" as many times as she offers. Unless she offers for you to take it home for another day.
  • Afura
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:

That happened last night! I weighed my mint greek yogurt pop, logged it...ate a bit of it...put it back on the scale so I didn't have to dirty another plate while I grabbed something else and my husband picked it up and took a bit of it! I'm like "NOOO!! I already weighed that!" He laughed. And although I wasn't truly mad, there was a part of me that thought "you stole my only food"! LOL! Like, I can only eat so much so I want it all, dammit! That's not the first time that's happened either...

We'll hold him down for you.
  • xtina315
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:

If I did, and they were a big person, I would be rude, not gonna lie, and say "I don't want it cuz I don't want to look like you!" I know that's mean, but guess what, I bet they'd never do it again!
    I've come close to saying that to my mother-in-law cuz she always says I'm "too skinny" Mind you she's like 5 ft and over 200 pounds, so yeah I guess I am too skinny...to someone like her!

That is absolutely horrible, sorry but negative responses like that may make a person eat more. I just wouldn't be your friend anymore after that comment.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    Oops - Edited to add:

That is absolutely horrible, sorry but negative responses like that may make a person eat more. I just wouldn't be your friend anymore after that comment.

And that would be fine w/me.
    Because the way I see it... If you're allowed to "Skinny Shame" me, I'm allowed to "Fat Shame" you... no double-standards where I come from!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

My German husband's grandmother was the same way. She was a terrible cook too and refused to take no for an answer about food. I think she may have used an entire tub of cream cheese and butter one day on pieces of klaben she insisted we eat. My MIL is not like that thankfully.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »

My German husband's grandmother was the same way. She was a terrible cook too and refused to take no for an answer about food. I think she may have used an entire tub of cream cheese and butter one day on pieces of klaben she insisted we eat. My MIL is not like that thankfully.

LOL same with my MIL. She cooks vegetables to death, even after she takes them out of the can :lol:
    Thankfully I've been in the family long enough to let it all roll off my back. She means well :smile:
  • xtina315
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:

Because the way I see it... If you're allowed to "Skinny Shame" me, I'm allowed to "Fat Shame" you... no double-standards where I come from!

Way to be the bigger person! jk
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:

I don't think it's very nice either but honestly I could totally see myself being pissed off enough to WANT to say something like that. It's a battle of will with myself most days to resist temptations and I find it just as rude when someone KNOWS that you lost weight and are watching what you eat yet still insist on pushing food on you.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oops - Edited to add:

Way to be the bigger person! jk

Being the "Bigger Person" is not why I'm here... it's too take care of "me" if you can't respect the decisions I make to take care of myself, then I don't respect you... again, it's a 2 way street.
    I would never say that just to be mean, like just out of the blue, but if someone disrespects my choices than I feel I have every right to do the same... and if it comes out mean, oh well, don't be my friend... anybody who can't respect my way of life isn't someone I want as a friend anyway so it wont bother me in the slightest...

Mean or not, that's me...

(Hahahahahaha - "bigger person" - bigger person" just got the pun!)
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oops - Edited to add:

I don't think it's very nice either but honestly I could totally see myself being pissed off enough to WANT to say something like that. It's a battle of will with myself most days to resist temptations and I find it just as rude when someone KNOWS that you lost weight and are watching what you eat yet still insist on pushing food on you.

No, you're correct...it's not nice, but by the time I get to that point, I'm not thinking of being "nice" anymore...
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oops - Edited to add:

No, you're correct...it's not nice, but by the time I get to that point, I'm not thinking of being "nice" anymore...

And I also don't think it's "nice" when people insult me because I'm skinny...
    Again, I don't believe in double standards!