10 week horseback riding challenge

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I am heading to the barn shortly. It's absolutely gross outside. Hot, humid, and strong storms are coming tomorrow. There aren't many good riding days left this season. :P
  • Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Looks like I will be riding indoors tomorrow. Looks nasty outside today and only supposed to be worse tomorrow. Oh well, it is what it is. Still excited. Might even ride two horses!
  • Mouse_Potato
    I made it out yesterday! Week one completed successfully! I was kind of hoping to go trail riding this afternoon, but it looks like the storms will be here by then. There was a horse show scheduled and it got cancelled. I guess if you are in Stillwater, I don't have to tell you about it. Be safe!
  • sunshinerose52
    sunshinerose52 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow I would so love to do this challenge. It is one of my goals that when I reach 199 pounds to get back on a horse and go riding with my 12 year old daughter it's been many years for me. I live in Barbados (West Indies) but will be in Spokane WA in August if anyone is nearby and wants to ride although I have only been in an American saddle once ever!!! Have fun on your challenge
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Now that our ground is thawed out, I plan on fencing in part of our hay field and converting to sand for riding pasture. Should make riding at home much easier!
  • Shoebacha1
    I failed. I planned to ride yesterday but the husband is very sick and I just didnt find the time. I will get two rides in this week to make up for it.
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    I rode yesterday evening. Happy trails, everyone!
  • awh reading all these makes me so nostalgic, I used to be a stablehand and cared for 30+ horses, with free reign to ride any of them whenever i pleased, I'd love to try and get back into it, although there's not many free/cheap options in England
  • Shoebacha1
    Supposed to be beautiful weather Sunday until the evening. Late morning ride is going to be awesome. Hope it drys up a bit so we can go explore and not just do circles in the indoor arena. I have a goal of riding 3 miles down the road to Boomer Lake, and then 3 miles around, then the 3 miles back. Tomorrow is day one of working up to it.
  • Mouse_Potato
    I completed ride number 2 yesterday. Once again, I had kind of hoped to ride today, but the weather is not cooperating. <sigh>
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    I rode yesterday and spent most of the weekend at the barn with my senior boy. It has been just gorgeous around here.
  • Shoebacha1
    I have yet to start my 10 weeks. Work is just not allowing time or energy for riding, but should be close to normal again after this weekend. Lucky for my horse, I pay a lady at the barn to ride him twice a week for me so when I finally do get to ride again, he is already legged up.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Made it out yesterday for ride number three for me. My girl was just lovely. We're going to a clinic in two weeks, so hopefully she will keep it up!
  • Shoebacha1
    I will be riding this Sunday. NO exceptions. I have to work, but I will ride before I go in. It is my day off so I can go in anytime, so I will ride first so there are no excuses. This will be week one for me. I am committing myself to the other 9. Even if all I do is jump on bareback in the arena for 10 minutes. I will have husband take pics so I can update my profile pic to show my 9 pound lighter self. Wonder if Avalanche will notice? :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    I rode on Saturday, but wasn't sure if anyone else was still here. :)

I am taking my girl to a clinic this weekend, so I will get rides 5-7 before the end of the day Monday. Hopefully, I won't have to teach her to swim in this lovely spring weather.
  • Mouse_Potato
    edited May 2016
    I rode both yesterday and today. Had to drive home through severe storms. :(

But my girl has been lovely and I have some new "tools" to use when she isn't. I love watching her make the right decision on her own. <3

ETA: And my Fitbit loves clinic! Lol!!
  • Shoebacha1
    I am sick with the flu, worked til 4 am Saturday. I did not get my ride in as planned. :(
  • Mouse_Potato
    I am sorry to hear that. :( I hope you heal up quickly and can return to riding.

I did the third and final day of clinic today. We rode for almost two hours straight. My feet ached when they hit the ground, but my girl was good. Well, she gave us a little drama, but there's not much point in going to a clinic if you are only going to do stuff your horse already knows!
  • Shoebacha1
    Feeling better, other than drowning in mucos. Cant wait for Sunday. If I am up to it, I might ride Tomorrow. If i can go to Zumba and skating Thursday, I can get a ride in. We will see tomorrow at 4. LOL
  • Mouse_Potato
    Awesome! I just got back from the barn. Did the same stuff we learned in clinic. Got a whole lot less drama doing it at home in her usual arena. I wanted to work on canter, but she gave me the prettiest, quietest, roundest trot she's ever given and I had to call it a day on that. Plus it was her dinner time, so the fact that she was willing to work at all made me happy! She's been ridden five days in a row now. I'm surprised she isn't on strike yet!