10 week horseback riding challenge

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I grew up in Oklahoma, but I'm not close anymore. I'm in Houston. Just moved my girl to a barn much closer to my house, so hopefully we can ride more. They have a ton of trails as well, so I think it's time she learned to be a trail horse! ;)
  • Shoebacha1
    Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I love trail riding. I feel closest to God when on horseback, especially when watching a sunset or riding through the woods, or by water. I enjoy riding and working towards a goal in an arena, but my reason for riding is to observe nature and bond with my horse while taking in the awesome gifts around us. Speed events are fun every so often, but I am not a competitive person, and I always worry of hurting my horse, especially with my weight. For now, me and my boys will continue our quiet nature hikes.
  • Shoebacha1
    I adopted a 16 hands, 26 yr young gelding, Quincy, last month. His pasture mate was 34 and being put to rest, so the older owner did not want him to be alone. I got his teeth floated, his coggins and vaccs, but he dropped some weight. I started him on a combination of whole oats, senior feed, alfalfa pellets and weight builder supplement. He is already putting weight back on after just one week of this. He has some creaks and never breaks a walk in the pasture and we ride him in the pasture with no issues. Took him out on the cattle lease this past weekend and OMG! Changing his name to Ricky Bobby, because he wants to go FAST. Had a hard time holding him back, he wanted to trot and run the whole time. We were using the snaffle bit that came with him, but changing to a twisted copper for the next ride. It was a bit scary for me, I ride 13 hand horses normally, so being on a new 16 hand horse who I had to constantly hold back was a quick reminder of how much higher I was from the ground. Dont know how you gals do it. I think I will stick to my short fat horses and leave the tall lean ones to the husband. Second guessing my want for a draft horse. Plus, short horses are easy to get back on if you do fall. If I ever fall off of Quincy, IF I can get up, I will have to find a fallen tree or some other form of help to get on. My leg does not go that high, even if I were flexible.
  • Shoebacha1
    Excited about the toys for tots trail ride tomorrow. Avalanche has been so jealous that I have been riding and showing Quincy attention (and giving him grain) he will be happy to be my ride. :)
  • Shoebacha1
    Rode over 10 miles on Saturday. Anyone who says horseback riding is not a workout is so wrong. My legs and shoulders are more sore from that ride than when doing squats. Going to Prague Lake this coming Saturday to get another ride in.
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Just came across this post and wanted to say HI :) It's great to see there are horse people on MFP. I started a group, but no one really participates...except me. Feel free to join! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/117046-equestrian-athletes
  • Shoebacha1
    I have been putting the miles on my horse and his new shoes. Been riding at least 4 miles each time, with some loping circles when we get back (getting barn sour, have to make home less appealing). I have been taking a break, but new year new me....(sigh)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    I tried to get out and ride yesterday, but work called. :( Hopefully this weekend!
  • Shoebacha1
    Glad I went riding now....wasnt paying attention to the weather. Will still try and get a ride in this weekend, but hate having numb toes and all the static. The weather was perfect on Saturday.
  • lkirchner82
    lkirchner82 Posts: 31 Member
    I haven't posted in ages, so it was great to see that you all are still riding regularly! I've acquired a new rescue, so this winter will be spent getting him conditioned and simply trusting humans and he will hopefully be ready for spring riding.
  • Shoebacha1
    I have been riding lots, I finally have a pretty good horsey network in my area. There is always someone riding near me. I go as often as I can, but have had to ride around the house mostly due to holiday money confines. Now that the holidays are over, and my budget is looking good, Spring you wont be able to stop me. Havent been posting much because I moved and do not have internet. For some reason, I cant get MFP on my phone. Glad you were able to rescue! I want to so bad, but with my adopted senior (26 yrs) I cant afford it. He eats 6 scoops of senior a day, 2 scoops of stabalized rice bran and 10 pounds of alfalfa cubes a day. He has no teeth and cant eat hay, so he is eating me out of house and home. I will continue to give him a good retirement, and when he passes I will have enough saved to buy any horse I want. Hoping for a haflinger, mule or mammoth donkey!
  • Shoebacha1
    Excited to ride in the snow this weekend!
  • Shoebacha1
    Got my ride in yesterday in the cold wind. Most of the snow had melted, but we still had fun. Was a good ride.
  • lkirchner82
    Good for you for adopting a senior! Old folks are the best, and they have such a hard time finding homes. I had NO intention of getting another horse, but a friend of my barn owner dropped off this sweet boy to her because he knows she's a sucker, and then she quickly presented him to me because she knows I'm a sucker. He was in horrible shape and was terrified of everyone at first, but he has made so much progress and I absolutely adore him.
    Glad that you got to ride this weekend! You are tougher than I am to ride in the snow.
  • Shoebacha1
    Being a sucker is not a bad thing. Trust me, I know all about people taking advantage of not being able to say not to an animal in need. That is how I got my new cat Ollie. When i worked at Pet Smart I had all kinds of animals dumped on me. I never had a hedgehog before, but I figured it out. LOL
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    I miss my horse. She was stolen. Never saw her again.
  • Shoebacha1
    I would murder someone if they hurt or stole my horse. So *kitten*. There are so many horses out there who need homes, why steal one that already has one?
  • Shoebacha1
    Wish me luck. Might have some kiddos to help keep horses ridden soon. Have a foster care worker coming out tonight to start us on getting certified and assess our house.
  • Shoebacha1
    Not sure I will get a ride in this weekend. If the ice storm is as bad as they claim it will be, both me and the horses will be trying to stay warm and out of the weather as much as possible.
  • lkirchner82
    edited January 2017
    I hope you were able to stay safe. We missed the ice, but it has not stopped raining for over a week. The pastures and the ponies are a muddy mess!