Cold and Tired.

Options
2»

Replies

• benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on, and do you have any other symptoms? Any chance you're simply sick? If you have a fever, you're going to feel cold and tired.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Something else you may want to check is your blood pressure. I have chronic low blood pressure and those are 2 of the first signs usually that my bp is dipping. Most of my attacks of low bp before I got heavy were caused by physical stress and if you're not eating enough nutrients, that can cause blood pressure to drop.
    If you have a local pharmacy that has one of those free bp testers, try it out and ask the pharmacist if it's low just to rule it out.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just looking back at your diary, I noticed that all you ate yesterday were bacon, waffles, taquitos, ranch, chocolate, and soda. Might I suggest eating more nutritious and nutrient dense food. While you can still lose weight (as long as you're under your calories), this type of diet really isn't doing you any favors. While a multivitamin will certainly help you to get your vitamins and minerals in, it shouldn't be used to replace a well rounded diet.

You have a good point. Yesterday was a bit different than normal (boyfriends birthday, he wanted those things for food, plus the first soda in forever just for the caffeine!). But I know that I certainly don't hit my macros very well. It's just something that I haven't taken the care to do. I will start being more observant.
    How long has this been going on, and do you have any other symptoms? Any chance you're simply sick? If you have a fever, you're going to feel cold and tired.

It's been happening more intensely in the last month, since I started restricting calories. But, I certainly have had problems for months, including when I wasn't restricting nearly enough.

I don't feel sick besides those 2 symptoms. My allergies are nasty right now, so if I don't take my allergy Medicine I'm a sneezy mess. But when I'm out and moving I don't feel weak or tired. I walked 7 miles today and felt just fine before, during and after.

I've been noticing my fitbit is showing my sleep to be less. Looks like between 5-7 hours, which is not common. I'm wondering if the sunrise being earlier is causing me to wake up too eary.
  • TakingBackForever
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Something else you may want to check is your blood pressure. I have chronic low blood pressure and those are 2 of the first signs usually that my bp is dipping. Most of my attacks of low bp before I got heavy were caused by physical stress and if you're not eating enough nutrients, that can cause blood pressure to drop.
    If you have a local pharmacy that has one of those free bp testers, try it out and ask the pharmacist if it's low just to rule it out.

That's a great idea! I will go to the pharmacy tomorrow and check it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have low iron and am cold all the time, but I can't take an iron supplement because it makes me sick as a dog :/

@starwhisperer6 Try a liquid iron supplement. I was just diagnosed with iron deficient anemia (iron saturation level of 12%) and the pills ripped my stomach apart. Doc said to try liquid instead as a next step. Don't know how it's helping with the anemia, but I'm not having stomach pain anymore. I mix it with a 1/4 cup of juice. Tastes fine!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't have to have the "best" diet, just try for one more veggie and fruit a day. Even if it's the same thing, it'll help. One step at a time. I eat broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, peppers and berries--pretty much. Not a lot of range, but they're fruits and veggies! :smiley:
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have low iron and am cold all the time, but I can't take an iron supplement because it makes me sick as a dog :/

You might consider looking at Floradix. Another option is Hylands Cell Salt #4. Both of these are better forms of iron and easier absorbed then iron pills. I know a number of people that are anemic and can't take iron but can do either or both of these forms.
  • ari7l
    ari7l Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat more good fats like almonds/nuts, and tbh it happens on a low cal diet or if ur not getting enough calories. Vitamins help SO MUCH, but if that doesnt work add some healthy fats to ur diet, an egg- with yolk, nuts, dried fruits etc
    :)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My comment got deleted here? What was wrong with it?
  • TakingBackForever
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    OP, you don't have to have the "best" diet, just try for one more veggie and fruit a day. Even if it's the same thing, it'll help. One step at a time. I eat broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, peppers and berries--pretty much. Not a lot of range, but they're fruits and veggies! :smiley:

I like veggies and have many fruits. I have strawberries and banana for breakfast and an apple for snack, I also love berries, they just aren't in season. The problem I have with veggies is that they have to have something on them for me to enjoy them, butter, cheese, dressing. I haven't been able to shake the high calories add ons, so I stay away from them more than I should. I will make it a point to eat more of them.

Honestly though, for me, my focus was calorie based before nutrition. CICO and all.
    icemom011 wrote: »
    My comment got deleted here? What was wrong with it?

I'm sorry, I didn't see it before it was deleted. Maybe post again? I'd love to know what you said.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thyroid?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    GoMom2016 wrote: »
    I would most definitely get tested for hypothyroidism. I have it and get VERY tired and cold when my meds need to be upped. Ask your Dr for a TSH, T3 and T4 blood test. And even if you fall within the normal range, that doesn't mean those results are NORMAL or ADEQUATE for you . You can ask to be put on 25mg Synthroid (thyroid drug) to try and treat the symptoms.

Ask for all 3, at least the T3 and T4, usually they do one or the other but not both, and rarely all 3.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people I know are cold when on a diet, me included. Make sure you eat well and drink plenty of liquids. I would not stress over it unless it is extreme.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I never had a problem with iron supplements making me sick. I did have a problem with the presumably cheap forms I was getting from the VA getting my energy levels up and giving me enough iron that I wouldn't shed hair like crazy. I am currently taking Iron Bisglycinate, and I can take it on an empty stomach.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    34blast wrote: »
    Lots of people I know are cold when on a diet, me included. Make sure you eat well and drink plenty of liquids. I would not stress over it unless it is extreme.

Absent a medical condition, people who are cold indoors need to dress better. I say this as a former winter camper who was comfortable sleeping outside in a tent at 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Layering, wool socks, turtle necks, etc. just for starters.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,165 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing my fitbit is showing my sleep to be less. Looks like between 5-7 hours, which is not common. I'm wondering if the sunrise being earlier is causing me to wake up too eary.

If that may be the case, consider one of those sleep eye masks, or darker curtains (you can even hang a blanket or something at the window as a temporary one to try it out, perhaps). I'm a very still sleeper, so I sometimes put a towel across my eyes if the room I'm sleeping in is too light, or put on a knit cap & pull it down over my eyes, in a pinch.
  • mercy7889
    mercy7889 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    make sure you are eating lots of whole foods-fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, etc.. these are going to give you plenty of nutrients. sometimes when we aren't eating a nutrient dense diet-we tend to get sluggish and tired. best of luck girl!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't have much in the way advice, but I also am ALWAYS, ALWAYS cold. Always. It was 75 today, and I had the space heater running at my desk all day. Brrrrrrr.
  • jellio98
    jellio98 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be careful with iron supplements. It is possible to get too much. Also, you wrote that you are falling asleep on the couch. Maybe you would feel better with a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed. But do agree with everyone to get thyroid and iron levels checked.