PCOS - Low Glycemic Load Ideas

Options
1235»

Replies

• Hobbesfan89
    Hobbesfan89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    Before I read about it in the PCOS for Dummies book, I always thought it was just a problem with me....but knowing that PCOS is what is causing this urge to binge eat on occasion helps me ignore and control it. Now instead of feeling like I have piss poor self control and am a self-sabatager, I understand the urge is actually chemically induced. Lets me feel I am in control of myself again, and helps me know the hunger pains are not really me being hungry, but my out of whack system telling me lies. I will continue to eat as normal and increase my water intake, and give the finger to these lies from my tummy.

I had no idea that PCOS made us more likely to binge. I would probably be in a normal weight range if I could control my binges and self sabotage moments. :# I might have to look into that book!

Yes it does. The way your body uses the sugar means it will require more of it quicker. Our bodies do not process sugars the way it should. But the longer you go keeping your binges in check and your blood sugar to a normal level the easier it will get to handle sugar cravings. Eventually you won't really have them.

Stay away from anything with 'ose' at the end of it haha. Lactose, fructose, sucrose etc. If you want sweet things organic honey, xylitol or stevia are good but try to stay away from conventional sweeteners. I mentioned a book in my above post but the way I found that book was I was desperate to find anyone who knew how I felt and Typed PCOS into youtube. Came across a lecture video by Dr Marylin Glenville. It's about two hours. But I highly recommend it. Gave me such an aye opening experience on what I am dealing with. Better than any dr I have ever had. My Dr's just give me Metformin and when I ask to be referred for more options I just get told 'we don't refer pcos patients'

It's pretty disheartening.
  • 1991lexi
    1991lexi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    They havent really given it a name in what I read, only that the same hormone issue happens in men. The guys with the big gut, but thin everywhere else are a tall tale sign. Belly fat is the last place PCOS'ers and men with the hormone issue lose weight because your body stores everything. Now I know I got this from my dad. He was just diagnosed with diabetes last year because his was left untreated.

There's a male version? Do you have any info on this? My dad carries weight the same way I do...I'm wondering if he may just not know?

PCOS diet support on Facebook and a couple of other groups on here there have been whispers. (I found it really helped a skin issue I have so am considering it anyway...if I'm finally starting to take care of my body I may as well go all out)
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful PCOS ladies :)

I am myself struggling with PCOS since I was 15 years old.

I read a lot about insulin sensitivity and related stuff, but today I have come across something new and opposite to everything I've learned so far:

Calorie restriction does some great stuff for our bodies (for us overweight folks), but low protein diet affects our hormones, particularly IGF-1. Low protein diet lowers IGF-1, which then raises SHBG, which binds to androgens thus lowering free androgens.

For years I was convinced that low carb high protein is way to go, but I have been eating that way most of my life and still have severe PCOS.

I might be happy to soon, it might be just another internet bs* and hype, but somehow it did gave me a little hope..