Anyone have their kids use MFP? (not for weightloss)

Options
My 11 year old daughter is in the higher side of healthy weight range for her age. However, she has the same love of food that her mother and I do.

She's not very active, more into art and music (she's not coordinated at all when it comes to sports).

I was thinking of setting up MFP for her to use as a calorie journal for a month to try and get her to see how many calories she is taking in and to start to understand food choices come with consquences.

I want her to figure out, without me just saying it, that it's fine to eat things like cheeze-it's, but when you eat a box (which she has on saturday afternoon while reading) it's more calories than if she had a big hamburger from a fast food place.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a bad idea (11 year old girls...bodily changes, self confidence, peer pressure to be a certain weight...etc), but MFP is for 18+. If you think she shouldn't eat a whole box of crackers, pour some in a bowl for her or ask her to pour herself a bowl to eat while she's reading.
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no! Please don't!

I don't have children, but I was a plump 11 year old and the way my mum tried to help me was fairly similar and it really messed with my head. I grew up thinking there was something wrong with my body (there was nothing wrong that growing and a general encouragement of healthy food wouldn't have fixed) and that my worth was based on what I looked like and weighed.

If you want to help her, focus on educating her about what foods will give her energy to do the things she enjoys. I would have really benefitted from hearing that my dancing and horse riding would be easier and better if I gave my body healthy fuel with occasional treats. Please don't make food into the enemy or something to be feared.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to show her how many calories her food is worth.

I would do her journal for one-two days with her together so that you can show her how much each thing is worth. I think it is good for her to have an idea how a cup of chopped tomatoes compares to a cup of peanut butter calorie-wise for example. And things like that.

I wouldn't recommend asking her to log on a regular basis though.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No i wouldn't set an acct up for my 11yr old.
    Instead of tracking calories for him , we track his activities.
    He earns play coins on his Nintendo ds for steps walked or ran. So we get outside and be active and he loves earning the coins on the video game. It motivates him to play outside longer because he wants to earn more coins for his game. He likes seeing the distance he has ran or walked and enjoys competing against others in challenges.
    My son is also at the upper end of a healthy weight but i didnt want to track calories for him at this age. I just preplan meals with him and work in tasty treats too so he doesnt feel deprived. We talk about healthy choices and why treats can't be for every single meal. I try to give him the knowledge needed but at a childs level
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have an 11 year old daughter as well (also a 9yr old one). I've taught them about calories and how to read nutrition labels. We've also talked about weight and how it's connected to good/poor health (using my own experience as an example, plus others in our family etc). But, at their age I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it any further at this point. It's more educational right now. They are both thin, and have no issues with weight/height.

Now with my 8 year old son, who as a baby was labeled failure to thrive because he was so small, I do talk to him more about his food intake. He's my kid who can go a whole day without eating because he's so busy with whatever he's doing that he forgets. I will get after him to eat and I do monitor his food intake more. But, I do that part, not him.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would not do this. Rather, you should talk with her about how you are making healthier choices. Teach her how to read nutrition labels and help her understand that "cookies are a sometimes food." Teach her to cook healthy meals and to get some daily activity, by doing those things together.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    My best friend had a mother who would always comment on the food she ate and she now has secret binge issues, im certainly not sure trying to put associations on food at 11 is a positive step sorry, however teaching her about nutrition is great :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. If she eating more than she should, it is up to you as parents to help her, by changing the family eating habits. If you see her consuming a ton of calories from treats for example, do not have these treats daily at home, buy only one individual serving for her per week, or teach her how much a serving is, give to her, and hide the rest.
    As for exercise, weight loss goals aside, encourage her to try something. Not being good at sports is a very poor excuse for not exercising - the less you try, the worst you will be. Try to become more physically active as a family, and ask her to pick up one sport, for health reasons, not weight loss reasons.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    She is on the threshold of one of the hardest ages to be for girls (maybe boys too, but I am one of 7 sisters, no brothers, and my only child is a girl)
    As her parents, you have to make guidelines, but there is a very fine line here. Resentment could become an issue. Show her by example and try doing physical things together with her. Walks, bike rides, etc.
    Talk to her about choices, and how to make better ones. Keep raw veggies and fruit available for snacks. Let her help make food preparations.
    MFP doesn't have a program for kids, but I think Spark People has something, check it out.
    Best of luck to your family!
  • __butterfly
    __butterfly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could do some active things with her on weekends and have scheduled meals/snacks to just help her get into some healthier habits. I wouldn't make it about her weight just about living a healthy and active lifestyle.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The Terms of Service state that all users must be 18 or older. Setting your daughter up with an account would be a violation of these terms and could result in having both of your accounts deleted.

Came in here just to say this.

OP - Let your 11 year old be the child that she is.

• strelitzia4
    strelitzia4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I saw a product called Fitbook Junior that may work as a teaching tool to help you. It's a journal for food, exercise, home and school goals. It helps parents and kids focus on healthy behaviors and less about the numbers.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You don't need a mfp account to educate your children on healthy eating habits. Also you do the shopping, buy her the single serve packs and explain that she can have one. I buy fruit and weigh them out into Tupperware that are around 100 cals a container and my kids will snack on that.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No to logging food on MFP for an 11 year old or trying to get her to figure it out on her own.
    You can talk about food choices and nutrition without judgement on her or foods she likes. You can designate some foods as sometimes foods. There are books and web sites for kids about nutrition.
    Look at food labels and nutrition information of common foods together and what your body does with foods as a science project.
    You control the food coming into your home not your 11 year old. Stop buying crackers in big containers or start portioning out foods into baggies or containers. Stop buying crackers at all if you prefer.
    Get a kid's cookbook and help her learn how to prepare more nutritious foods. Cook more meals.
    Set a good example with your habits.
    Grow a garden together.
    Get her started snacking on things like popcorn, fruits, vegetables, and hard boiled eggs. Give her more filling foods instead of low protein, low fiber, low nutrition foods.
    http://www.kidshealth.org
    http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
    http://www.nourishinteractive.com/kids/5-food-group-games
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=nutrition books for kids&tag=youperlapbang-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    She is a baby still. Help her to find low-key activities she'll enjoy. Hiking might work. Or yoga. Pilates. Walking.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When my stepdaughter was on spring break a few weeks ago her dad tracked her food on his own account all week to the best he could just to get a good idea of how she is eating each day. She is 8 years old and weighs 108 as of today. Her doctor has suggested we try to get her to lose a pound or two per month but so far no success. She maintains usually with a gradual gain each month of a pound.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Beaner63 wrote: »
    My 11 year old daughter is in the higher side of healthy weight range for her age. However, she has the same love of food that her mother and I do.

She's not very active, more into art and music (she's not coordinated at all when it comes to sports).

I was thinking of setting up MFP for her to use as a calorie journal for a month to try and get her to see how many calories she is taking in and to start to understand food choices come with consquences.

I want her to figure out, without me just saying it, that it's fine to eat things like cheeze-it's, but when you eat a box (which she has on saturday afternoon while reading) it's more calories than if she had a big hamburger from a fast food place.

I think it is great that you want to teach her early about nutrition and what you have learned through MFP, and I agree that there are better ways to go about that with an 11 year old girl. The suggestions about teaching her to read a nutrition label (especially at the grocery store when you are choosing food) are good ones for the larger picture of learning about nutrition, as are the reminders that you are the parent and can lead by example. Does anyone else in the family sit with the bag or box of food, and read or watch TV? If so, maybe it is time to have her help to measure out a "single serving" and eat from that?
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think this could be a great tool, and to use it to teach about nutrition. Yes, the parents are in control of what goes into the childs mouth etc, but at that age that child can walk into the kitchen and sneak food etc. Or maybe add activities you can do as a family, walks, playing catch, biking etc it will be good bonding time and will get her moving.
This discussion has been closed.