Protein, fat, carbs

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

A Call for a Low-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

Does that help you understand the ONLY WAY statement?

I understand all of that.

What my point was is that @aqsylvester said low carb is the only way to go for life long health. Which isn't true, you don't HAVE to be low carb to lose weight and carbs won't hurt your long term health.

@tillerstouch can you link to where @aqsylvester said low carb is the only way to go for life long health. I did not find the word "ONLY" in the post you linked to above.

For a person with a fatty liver the only way I have read to prevent a premature death is to reduce carbs that caused the fatty liver in the first place.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

What my point was is that @aqsylvester said low carb is the only way to go for life long health. Which isn't true, you don't HAVE to be low carb to lose weight and carbs won't hurt your long term health.

@tillerstouch can you link to where @aqsylvester said low carb is the only way to go for life long health. I did not find the word "ONLY" in the post you linked to above.

For a person with a fatty liver the only way I have read to prevent a premature death is to reduce carbs that caused the fatty liver in the first place.

When you make someone's statement extreme, it is easier to attack. Typical straw man fallacy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    So now DietDoctor and Popsugar are good sources for medical info? Awesome.

OP, if you have a medical condition, I would advise not taking suggestions from the community. A nutritionist is basically a meaningless title that anyone can use, so see if you can get referred to a Registered Dietitian to discuss if there is a specific macro distribution you should be aiming for.

Macros don't directly affect weight loss or gain, but can affect satiety and play a role in medical conditions and fitness goals.

And as others have said, fat in and of itself doesn't make you fat. Excess calories of any kind make you fat.

Best of luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

With all due respect, "what you have read" is not the standard someone with a medical condition should be going by. If you want to advise everyone who is trying to lose weight to eat the way you do, go for it. Telling someone who has a medical condition that you have figured out how she can stay healthy is another.
  • Crisseyda
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So now DietDoctor and Popsugar are good sources for medical info? Awesome.

OP, if you have a medical condition, I would advise not taking suggestions from the community. A nutritionist is basically a meaningless title that anyone can use, so see if you can get referred to a Registered Dietitian to discuss if there is a specific macro distribution you should be aiming for.

Macros don't directly affect weight loss or gain, but can affect satiety and play a role in medical conditions and fitness goals.

And as others have said, fat in and of itself doesn't make you fat. Excess calories of any kind make you fat.

Best of luck

Totally, agreed, do not take suggestions from the community. Most of it is total garbage. However, like I said, do you own research.

And dietdoctor.com is an exceptional resource. It is ad free, unbiased, with no industry sponsorship.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

This is an excellent idea.
  • GaleHawkins

With all due respect, "what you have read" is not the standard someone with a medical condition should be going by. If you want to advise everyone who is trying to lose weight to eat the way you do, go for it. Telling someone who has a medical condition that you have figured out how she can stay healthy is another.

@kimny72 no one should give or act on any type of advice from any social media source. There is varied resources of info from people holding terminal degrees in health and science that one can read and research with the aid of Google or another search engine.
  • Crisseyda
    edited April 2016

Actually calorie-for-calorie in a controlled environment, low fat is better than low carb at weight loss.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(15)00350-2

I say that not because I am pro-low-fat. But because there's a lot of info out there that disproves the pro-low-carb. Which is to say, you have to experiment and do what works well for you. If a person has a medical issue, they should be speaking with their doctor. OP stated her concern was setting and reaching her protein goals. And suddenly a bunch of low-carb evangelists are speculating on medical conditions they don't know she has and preaching their vision of the macro afterlife.

hmmm...

an experiment with no control group on 19 obese individuals followed for a total of two 2-week periods

vs.

a randomized controlled trial with 150 racially diverse men and women followed for 1 year

Do you understand much about evidence hierarchy?

And again with the strawman, please stop.
  • Crisseyda
    edited April 2016

Actually calorie-for-calorie in a controlled environment, low fat is better than low carb at weight loss.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(15)00350-2

I say that not because I am pro-low-fat. But because there's a lot of info out there that disproves the pro-low-carb. Which is to say, you have to experiment and do what works well for you. If a person has a medical issue, they should be speaking with their doctor. OP stated her concern was setting and reaching her protein goals. And suddenly a bunch of low-carb evangelists are speculating on medical conditions they don't know she has and preaching their vision of the macro afterlife.

@blues4miles

I just carefully read the actual study. Let's clarify the blatant misinformation presented here. Important points are as follows:

1. The Restricted carbohydrate (RC) and Restricted fat (RF) diets both led to weight loss, but significantly more weight was lost following the RC diet.
    2. Fat mass change as measured by DXA revealed significant changes from baseline, but did not detect a significant difference between RF and RC diets.
    3. This study lasted 2 weeks. There were 10 men and 9 women in the study.
    4. Carbohydrate restriction was only to an average of 140 grams/day. LOL, that's nowhere near low carb in my world, where the goal is fat metabolism.
    5. They calculated daily fat balance as the difference between fat intake and net fat oxidation (i.e., fat oxidation minus de novo lipogenesis) measured by indirect calorimetry while residing in a metabolic chamber.
    So in summary, the only conclusion this study supported was that if you eat a low fat calorie restricted diet, you burn more fat than you consume! We already knew that!!! This study does NOT support the hypothesis that a low fat diet results in greater total fat burning than a high fat/low carbohydrate diet.

If you look at the hard data, the only statistically significant differences they found were - increased fat oxidation and increased weight loss in the high fat/low carb diet. :p
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Premium allows you to do it by grams, but anyone can set their macros (OP already has, as those aren't the default macros).

Good rule of thumb for protein is .65-.85 g per lb of healthy (or goal) body weight. 50% is almost certainly much more than you need. But if you like eating that much and feel good doing it, no harm. Carbs and fat are fine, both could be higher if you wanted to experiment and cut protein some. Like the other poster said, what matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit, the rest is about nutrition (and choice of fats and carbs matter more for that than how much of both you eat) and satiety.

Cosigned.

@Jozzmenia you may have misunderstood your nutritionist when she said to match your weight - it's your goal weight, and not 100 % of that. Or she may have misunderstood and passed her confusion along to you.

But if eating this much protein is working for you, carry on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    50% protein is completely unnecessary.

I did 30% protein while losing, 40% carbs and 30% fat.
  • Crisseyda
    Oh, wow, they also found decreased insulin, decreased triglycerides, and elevated HDL with the carbohydrate restricted diet - all known benefits! B)
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member

120g of protein isn't going to be converted into glucose and knock you out of ketosis.
  • GaleHawkins
    ketorach wrote: »

120g of protein isn't going to be converted into glucose and knock you out of ketosis.
    ketorach wrote: »

@ketorach why would you make such a statement? Do you not know the work of Dr. Peter Attia?
  • Jeffrey300050
    Jeffrey300050 Posts: 93 Member
    aqsylvester is EXACTLY bang on with her carb/fat message in my humble opinion! I ate low fat high carbs thinking I could eat whatever and I ganed 30 lbs. I bought all the "No Fat" items I could find and ate and ate. I thought I could because there was not fat. But guess what? Huge in simple carbs (sugar). Insulin spikes and whammo! When I went high protein and low carb I lost weight easily. Fat DOES NOT make me fat. ( I hate to admit it here but I use my deep fryer 3 times a week for protein and have lost 8 llbs in a week doing it)! But that's me. It may be different for others. Cheers
  • mmandly21
    mmandly21 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2016
    It also really depends on what kind of activity and/or exercise you participate in.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Would like to be wt loss buddy