Protein, fat, carbs

How do I make the percentages correct? Right now mfp has me at 1550 calories. I have that adjusted to 30percent carbs, 20 percent fat and 50 percent protein trying to get close to my weight in protein per a nutritionist's advice. And I was fighting fatty liver last year and managed to get it under control with diet and exercise, plus my body fat percentage is high, so I'm wary of fat. What should the percentages be, or is that accurate?

Replies

• mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    The fat percent seems accurate. Just eat healthy fats as opposed to the unhealthy fats and it shouldn't be an issue.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    To me protein is high, I dont think you need a gram of protein per pound of body weight, a gram per pound of lean is the highest I think anyone would need, but if you want to stick to your nutritionist it won't hurt.

Also you have a bit of a misconception, fats don't cause fat to be stored on your body, eating a calorie surplus does.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Your macros seem alright to me! You're on the higher end of protein, but that's not a bad thing...so am I. If your fat % is higher than you'd like, change the foods you're eating and eat leaner meats.
  • tillerstouch
    edited April 2016
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

A Call for a Low-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited April 2016
    I think you're asking how to reset your MFP macros, right? You have to buy the premium, I believe.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I have NAFLD and per the recommendation of my doctor I am following a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. My macros are 60 fat / 30 protein / 10 carbs. That is what works for me. The fat helps me stay fuller longer and I generally only eat two big meals a day.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I think you're asking how to reset your MFP macros, right? You have to buy the premium, I believe.

Not true, you can reset your macros in the free version, but only in I believe 5% increments, the premium allows you to do it in 1% increments.
  • SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    I personally also follow hflc lifestyle while keeping my carb intake pre and post workout. I'd personally just up the fat and drop the protein a bit.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    If you're concerned about high body fat percentage, you should be concerned about your carbohydrate intake, not fat.

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

Many people will say only calorie restriction matters. This is overly simplistic. Do the research yourself. The low carb real food is the way to go for life-long health!

Wow please don't listen to this. Low carb is one route that works for people but is in no way the only way to go for life long health. Calorie deficit is literally the only thing that matters to lose weight, except for some special circumstances.

Edit: don't listen to the you have to eat low carb, healthy fats I agree are very good for you but you can encorporate more then enough of these and still eat carbs.

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member

Not true, you can reset your macros in the free version, but only in I believe 5% increments, the premium allows you to do it in 1% increments.

I do have premium but I wasn't sure what my percentages should be. Sounds like they are good now?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016

@Jozzmenia you may want to google this subject for more details because this info is medically factual you will find. At one point I too feared fats as you do currently. Our macros do make a difference in lowering our Insulin levels which is a requirement to lose weight especially the last 20 pounds.

Fats cause very little increase in the hormone Insulin levels, protein leads to some increase in Insulin levels with carbs spiking Insulin levels the most and reducing weight loss the most.

There is no one magic macro that fits everyone.

Grab one that sounds interesting and try it for 90 days and see what the scales have to say about it as well how you feel with your new Way Of Eating.

First learning how to not gain weight is actually more important down the road. Anyone can lose weight by cutting calories but very few seem to be able to learn how to keep it off after losing it.

Best of success.

popsugar.com/fitness/Macronutrients-Weight-Loss-37313038
  • tillerstouch

So not surprised by this comment. If you are concerned about fatty liver and losing body fat, cutting down on dietary fat is the last thing you want to do. Check out dietdoctor.com for some excellent resources.

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

I agree about not cutting down on fat. But why are you saying the only way is to go low carb?

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

Does that help you understand the ONLY WAY statement?
  • tillerstouch

@tillerstouch "low carb" can mean 20, 50 or up to 150 grams of carbs daily. To go Low Carb and be in a state of Nutritional Ketosis (running muscles, heart and brain more on ketones than glucose) one typically must eat <50 grams of carbs daily. Protein can not be HIGH (70-90 grams daily in my case) since about 1/2 of protein is converted by the body into glucose (brain and red blood cells both require glucose). We do not require carbs to make all of the glucose required for full health as long as we eat some protein and enough fats. Well we have to have a source of vitamins and minerals. In nature carbs can be a good source of vitamins and minerals but not so much in processed carbs. While carbs are not 'required' I for one still eat carbs within the 50 gram limit to live in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do not do this to lose weight but to managing my pain and reduce my risk of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. Weight loss can be a side effect if calories are low enough. I maintain at 200 pounds on 2500+ calories daily average. With a macro of 5% carbs, 15% protein I have to go high fat to get in my 2500 calories per day. I can ONLY stay in Nutritional Ketosis Way Of Eating by going high fat.

I understand all of that.

What my point was is that @aqsylvester said low carb is the only way to go for life long health. Which isn't true, you don't HAVE to be low carb to lose weight and carbs won't hurt your long term health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016

I don't understand why this would make low carb the right choice for OP (who was asking if her own macros were okay and how to set them) or why it's relevant to OP at all.

The posts here demonstrate why I often interpret the biggest keto fanatics in these parts to be preaching and trying to push their way on others as the only way to go, which IMO should not be done.

(On the other hand, of course keto is a fine choice for those who prefer eating that way. It's just not superior to how others eat or necessary for the rest of us to be healthy.)
  • tillerstouch
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this would make low carb the right choice for OP (who was asking if her own macros were okay and how to set them) or why it's relevant to OP at all.

The posts here demonstrate why I often interpret the biggest keto fanatics in these parts to be preaching and trying to push their way on others as the only way to go, which IMO is wrong.

I agree and that's the point I was trying to get across. My first comment just told OP I thought protein could be lowered and told her she shouldn't worry about fat because eating fats doesn't cause fat storage. There is no reason why OP HAS to go low carb it isn't necessary. It's not bad, but not necessary.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The posts here demonstrate why I often interpret the biggest keto fanatics in these parts to be preaching and trying to push their way on others as the only way to go, which IMO is wrong.

I agree and that's the point I was trying to get across. My first comment just told OP I thought protein could be lowered and told her she shouldn't worry about fat because eating fats doesn't cause fat storage. There is no reason why OP HAS to go low carb it isn't necessary. It's not bad, but not necessary.

I understand one can argue that higher carb diets are fine for very active people, but the OP has high body fat percentage and struggled with fatty liver disease. What she may not realize is that her fear of fat could be contributing to her health problems. When someone mentions cutting fat to lose weight and stay healthy, I've got to correct that misconception. Low carb high fat diets are incredibly healthy... and 20% of calories from fat is really low even for your standard diet.